That Which Sleeps - New Turn-based PC Game

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
That Which Sleeps is a new game from King Dinosaur Games. Now is it an RPG? Well short answer is no as its a turn based strategy game with a few RPG elements.

Here is a brief description from the games website.

What is That Which Sleeps and how do I play it?

That Which Sleeps is a unique turn based strategy game where you play an evil banished long ago who has recently awoken to find himself greatly weakened but filled with a desire for vengeance. You will recruit Agents to perform Challenges in different Points of Interest which can be villages, cities, farmland, and ruins. These challenges will be contested by meddling heroes and champions which may cause your agents to flee or battle, sometimes resulting in their deaths. Succeed in the challenges and you can cause famines, produce slave revolts, and even assassinate kings. Even success breeds danger because your agents leave behind clues that savvy heroes will research, getting closer and closer to the truth that you are rising to destroy the world.

When will it be released?

We are hoping to launch a kickstarter to gain more art assets in the upcoming months, and should have a release shortly thereafter. We estimate Q4 2014 at this time.
More information.

Sounds interesting!

Hi,

I'm the developer of That Which Sleeps. I happened to come across this thread and wanted to make myself available to talk about the game or answer any questions you might have. I'll do my best to pop in from time to time and check in on things, but keep in mind I am coding and working a full time job.

So let me know if you have any questions - and you can keep track of where we are in development by checking out our very often updated IndieDB page.

Or come talk to us directly on our (not really active) subreddit.

Or if you just want to know when the game is released our mailing list is probably your best bet. I promise we won't bug you with anything other than release news here.

Welcome to our forums King Dinosaur Games. :party:

I look forward to playing your game, and the launch of your kickstarter hopefully this year. I also wish you success as getting funded seems harder theses days.

I'll continue to post updates on your game.

Sounds like really great concept, I'm intrigued.

Are they directly using the Cthulhu mythos or is a setting inspired by it? From what I know the copyright has expired.

No Cthulhu mythos, just heavily inspired - honestly didn't feel we could do justice to the idea of "inexpressible horor" that Lovecraft championed so we aren't pushing that angle too hard.

But yes, Eldritch Horror is also a direct inspiration - but of course here you'll be the one causing problems that the heroes are trying to fix.

I love the way the map looks! I don't know why but I am big sucker for nice looking maps. Please post an update once you guys post your KS.

DevLog #3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neOqkdZOhiQ

Check it out! We go over combat, you see a lot more of what a mid-game might look like, and see a noble(ish) Agent fall in combat.

Feedback always appreciated!

Kickstarter and Greenlight go live on Monday, we're incredibly excited.

Looks good, but when you do the gameplay videos for kickstarter, do lower the music volume to like 20%, it's both distracting from your explanations, and makes it hard to understand sometimes what you're saying.

Like the game though!

Back
Top Bottom