Star Control: Origins - Brad Wardell Interview

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
GamingBolt has interviewed Brad Wardell, CEO of Stardock, about Star Control and more:

Riding The Cutting Edge Of The Technology Wave – An Interview With Brad Wardell, CEO of Stardock

Surfing the crest of the tech wave.

Stardock is a company that pushes boundaries of technology in video games. The company, known for its compelling and highly addictive PC science fiction games, has pushed the benchmarks of graphical technologies before numerous times, and is looking to do so again going forward. This is the rare company, in other words, that can deliver on style and substance, both.

So naturally, when you get the chance to talk tok someone from a company like that, you want to ask them everything that you can. And that’s what we did, when we got the chance to engage Brad Wardell of Stardock in an exclusive interview some time ago.

Okay, so to begin with, would you like to introduce yourself for our readers?

Sure, I’m Brad Wardell, I’m the President and CEO of Stardock, we’re located out here in Michigan. And we’ve been in business since the early 1990s,we’re one of the early game development studios still around. We’ve made Galactic Civilizations, Sins of a Solar Empire, Ashes of the Singularity, Offroad Trading Company, and lots of other great stuff.

[…]

Okay, so Star Control: Origins- now this one I actually don’t know much about, I know that you’ve announced it for PC and consoles, but we haven’t heard much more about the game. What can you tell us about it, and when can we expect to start hearing more about it?

Sure, so Star Control was a really popular series back in the early 1990s. And it was one of the few action adventure games- some describe Mass Effect as a remake of Star Control, so to say, where they try to blend RPG and adventure and action all together in a single game. Some years ago, when Atari filed for bankruptcy, we were able to pick up the rights to the Star Controlfranchise, and we decided to make a new one. So a lot of the time since has been spent building up our studio in Maryland, hiring up people who can do right by this reboot. In terms of when people will start hearing more about this? I’d say probably Summer or Early Fall is when we’ll start ramping up. What we don’t want to do is show too much and then people are disappointed- so we want to see we show it in a state so people can really see where we are going.

[…]
Thank you for the info, Farflame!

More information.

Last edited:
"Stardock is a company that pushes boundaries of technology in video games. The company, known for its compelling and highly addictive PC science fiction games, has pushed the benchmarks of graphical technologies before numerous times, and is looking to do so again going forward. This is the rare company, in other words, that can deliver on style and substance, both."

Come again? Now, I didn't play their latest RTS, but games like the Gal Civs and Fallen Enchantress are hardly known for their graphics. Also, the screenshots I've seen of this latest game in development seem to have adopted a cartoonish style, which devs seem to do when they want to keep the graphical overhead low.

Back when I was a reporter, this type of ass-kissing hyperbole would be completely rewritten by your editor, and if you kept on with this type of thing, you'd get your ass fired.

Back when I was a reporter, this type of ass-kissing hyperbole would be completely rewritten by your editor, and if you kept on with this type of thing, you'd get your ass fired.

Now you get quality titles like :
Are teachers KILLING your children?
And
Eternal darkness! Why the sun may not rise tomorrow.
And
"A terrible day, full of violence" claims mother who tripped in supermarket.

What are the "turning it cartoony" complaints? Shouldn't they be, instead, "they AREN'T making the game more realistic looking" because, I'm not sorry to say, the game has ALWAYS had a goofy, cartoony (or puppety) look…

Hwr21zD.png

You know, like naming the ship of the Syreen "Penetrator" and shaping it like this -

36313-star-control-amiga-screenshot-the-syreen-penetrators-1.gif

was uber serious.

But 2, clearly, 2 wasn't cartoony…

hqdefault.jpg

04.jpg

… and, again, 3 with all the puppets instead of cartoons…

If you don't like them making the remake cartoony, that's fine. But it keeps being complained about like it is a CHANGE instead of par for the course. :)

What are the "turning it cartoony" complaints? Shouldn't they be, instead, "they AREN'T making the game more realistic looking" because, I'm not sorry to say, the game has ALWAYS had a goofy, cartoony (or puppety) look…

star-control_10.gif

You know, like naming the ship of the Syreen "Penetrator" and shaping it like this -

star-control_11.gif

was uber serious.

But 2, clearly, 2 wasn't cartoony…

hqdefault.jpg

04.jpg

… and, again, 3 with all the puppets instead of cartoons…

If you don't like them making the remake cartoony, that's fine. But it keeps being complained about like it is a CHANGE instead of par for the course. :)

There is good cartoony and there is bad cartoony. Stardock is bad cartoony. It cartoonies all the wrong elements in the wrong way like the planets. Compare those graphically with Starcon 2. It does not compare well. :p

Seriously don't know what you are talking about.

I mean, the planets in two look like horrible flat, lifeless spheres... so, yes, the new PLANETS are more cartoony (and 3D-y) than the dreary colored balls of Star Control 1 and 2... so, that's what the complaining is about? The planets should be boring (or, sorry, pseudo-realistic) in contrast to the ships and aliens which will be straight out of MST3K?

I mean, okay. Cheer on dichotomy of art styles!

Seriously don't know what you are talking about.

I mean, the planets in two look like horrible flat, lifeless spheres… so, yes, the new PLANETS are more cartoony (and 3D-y) than the dreary colored balls of Star Control 1 and 2… so, that's what the complaining is about? The planets should be boring (or, sorry, pseudo-realistic) in contrast to the ships and aliens which will be straight out of MST3K?

I mean, okay. Cheer on dichotomy of art styles!

If we are talking about a game that is trying to stay faithful to Star Control then yes it should try to emulate the graphical style more closely. And I like the Star Control planets appearance much better myself.

Compare this
1586bd9c6233c1d2d.png

To this
6.png

Come again? Now, I didn't play their latest RTS, but games like the Gal Civs and Fallen Enchantress are hardly known for their graphics.
It ain't all about graphics. Gal Civ 3 lets you make galaxies of ridiculous size thanks to doing the game in 64-bit from the ground up - which was fairly rare back when it was being made. Ashes of Singularity (I'm not real clear on how much of that is really theirs and how much they just publish) is big on having a jillion units all working at the same time.

That said, I got a pretty huge brown nose vibe on that opening paragraph, too. Leading technology really isn't the first thing I think of with Stardock. Super-long term support for their games is.

P.S. I tried to read the site and got some really dubious message about wanting to run the Windows Scripting host. I didn't let it and the website died.

this game ALWAYS had a goofy, cartoony (or puppety) look…

We know. The races were cartoony but systems looked normally. Which is what most complaints are related to i.e. planet appearance.

Planets look like the terrain in Worms too much imo.

artwork.star-control-origins.2000x1500.2016-10-22.1.jpg

ImageResizer.ashx

Furthermore notice the obvious platformy approach to exploration. Super Mario Kart?

image.png

artwork.star-control-origins.1896x1068.2016-10-22.12.jpg

If we are talking about a game that is trying to stay faithful to Star Control then yes it should try to emulate the graphical style more closely. And I like the Star Control planets appearance much better myself.

Yes, old SC look better than new SC so far which is Stardock's fail. But its not just about art style. Star Control is interesting concept that has great potential for more depth, more refined mechanics, better combat etc. in comparison to charming but somehow limited old design. But it seems they are going to waste this opportunity for expanded game and do "arcade remake" instead.

Back
Top Bottom