Rock, Paper, Shotgun - The Very Important List of PC Games #1

Dhruin

SasqWatch
... Almost only shooters ... Only 1 adventure game ... *yawn*

Lists like this are always bit silly - but he says it`s only part one so probably there will be dedicated strategy/adventure/rpg bits too.

I do hope so.

Part 2 is up too, with less shooters. Also, with more games I've actually played this time.

In the big scheme of RPGs, the original Neverwinter Nights really doesn’t register all that profoundly, and my colleagues will no doubt speak of other, far more significant games.

Ahahahaha. When you're trying to come across as knowledgeable and end-all be-all on PC games, it's a good idea to actually know what you're talking about.

The original NWN was the first graphic-using MMO in videogaming history, and thus one of the most important titles. Not BioWare's tepid, uninteresting RPG.

Part 2 is up too, with less shooters. Also, with more games I've actually played this time.

thanks for the link, I haven't played many in both lists but probably more in first list. Let see, for a pointless post:
1st list:
  • Doom,
  • Half-Life 2 (still waiting HL1 on the mac, despite there's an awful interview on the net explaining how it was finished before planed date and canceled with zero explanation right at this time, you feel the dev almost cry when telling the story and well it's understandable despite it's so many years ago),
  • System Shock,
  • Battlezone,
  • Unreal Tournament 2004 (but played quite more UT and even UT 2003 myself I consider UT a lot more important, UT2004 just got the luck to not have followup during a long time)
  • Quake 3
  • Quake
  • Battlefield 2
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Syndicate
  • Neverwinter Nights
  • Flashback (I feel ridiculous to have Flahsback when Another World was the obvious pick)
So 12 in first list.

And second list:
  • Portal
  • Descent (what a boring repetitive crap)
  • Lemmings
  • Dragon Age
  • Duke Nukem 3D
  • World Of Goo
  • Knights Of The Old Republic
So 7 only…. Woo that's interesting information, I'm proud.

Flashback (I feel ridiculous to have Flahsback when Another World was the obvious pick)

That annoyed me too - and this omitting-Another-World thing happened before. Flashback was ok-ish...but vastly inferior to it`s mind boggling predecessor.

I found the article and its follow-up mildly interesting at best. It's completely subjective of course, and some of the titles he included had me scratching my head.

Well he mentions that he listed them in order of importance. That's why I had to raise an eyebrow when I saw Half-life 2 listed ahead of games like System Shock and Quake.

Imho still too much emphasis on shooters - and them being in top positions, too.

Are shooters really THAT important for the game industry ?

I'm rather asking from a creative point of view.

From a sales point of view they might actually be very important, but from a creative point of view ... ?

Wow, Dragon Age not only is the best RPG of its decade but also one of the last RPGs of its kind? Really?

I like RPS but that is one massively ignorant statement and one silly opinion all bundled into one.

@Alrik

Shooters are just another genre - not any worse or better from others in my opinion. Personally i love them (nearly) as much as RPG/strategy games.

They can be creative too. From constantly pushing the graphics envelope- it`s `thanks` to them Intel/Nvidia and the rest thrives. They invent or popularize new gameplay mechanics like physics or emergent gameplay. Multiplayer = again, they started it.

Then you`ve got the `clever FPS` offshot - System Shocks/Deus Ex angle, although these hardly qualify as pure shooters.

Even when reading the comments I don't see at all any focus on the initial purpose, only few comments for some games keep the link. Ha well, anyway I suppose it's a joke, in fact it's "the very important list of pc games" and not "the list of very important pc games". :)

Shooters are just another genre - not any worse or better from others in my opinion.

Yes, then the list should imho treat them like any other game genre, too.
And I don't see that much balance there.

Maybe it's because the oh-so-action-oriented induustry rather prefers to develop shooters than games of any other genre ?

It`s a slow day here at my HQ and i did some counting ;)

FPS………….24
Strategy…..14
Action………11
Rpg………….6
Sim…………..5
And 3-4 from : indie/hybrid/mmo/adventure

(note to pedants: this is a ~ count, it was made in 10 minutes)

Perhaps action genres are more important to general public. They seem to sell better, for sure.

Back
Top Bottom