Playing PS games on PC

ilm

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor
Since quite some time I have some playstation exclusives on my todo list. Games I really want to play like the last of us, horizon zero dawn, and maybe even rdr2 (still hoping for the latter to come to pc).

I don't want to buy a console for it but then it struck me there are actually streaming subscriptions these days. Perfect! I found out about PS Now. Are there any other such services and has anybody experience with it? Obviously image quality will be less, a bit of lag (probably too small to be relevant for third person console games), anything else?

I did some research on PS Now. Apparantly the lag is okay and I should be able to play with my steam controller. There is a 7-day trial (that's even enough to finish the last of us I guess :) ), but even a one month subscription is just 20 dollar.

Unfortunately, only pc is supported as the smart tv app (android) was cancelled. In theory I could abuse my steam link to stream from pc to my tv but that would induce double lag :p

Edit: I don't condone this behavior. I want high-quality pc ports but for one or two games I want to make an exception. ;)

Do what I do download EPSXE and the bios needed and torrent or download games. As most PS games are to expensive and not worth the cost to buy on ebay/amazon.

Yes that makes me a thief but I'm not re-buying games I sold for triple the cost.:biggrin:

Now if your talking about modern PS4 games your out of luck as emulators for modern consoles are still in their infancy. Probably take another 2-5 years till they work.

Can EPSXE emulate playstation 3 these days? Actually not sure of the titles I listed which ones are ps3 and which ps4. ps4 is still not emulated I think. Will check.

After some further research it might be better to buy a ps3/4 controller. Steam controller might pose to many problems.

He's talking about the current generation not Playstation 1 gsames.

*Edit* I was replying to Couch there. To answer your question: no. There is a different emulator for PS3 games, but it's nowhere near complete yet and most titles are glitchy if they run at all.

This is the only working emulator for PS3 games

Link- https://rpcs3.net/ - Only works on certain games (PS3)

Edited: Thanks Ripper

Last edited:
PS3 emulation is not there yet, and PS4 is a distant prospect. Check which games are available on PS Now - I doubt you'll find recent big releases on there. I know Last of Us is there, and that is definitely worth playing, IMO.

BTW, Couch, I think that PS4 emulator is a scam. I'd take that link down.

Yep I checked out a few other sites and verified that. So yeah it's fake as you will need to download a bios like other emulators, but that site makes you complete a survey.

Also this - http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/PlayStation_4_emulators

It was a good fake - they included loads of made up details, FAQ, github page, etc. They even had details on the imaginary bugs present in each game. I reckon they've made a few bucks from getting people to click on their scam links.

Thanks, emulators are no feasible option yet. rpcs3 only supports the last of us since last October. It is very choppy and even not finishable.

As expected, games on ps now are a bit older. Only the last of us is on there of the 3 I mentioned. I do have good hopes HZD might come soon as it is quite old, RDR2 will take a long while obviously.

Other than that there is bloodborne, god of war series (not the newest), uncharted 3, heavy rain, etc. I was not looking for those but some of them could be interesting.

I unexpectedly came across Shadow of the beast. Apparantly there is a 'reboot' of the classic amiga game! Albeit not very good it seems:
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/shadow-of-the-beast

If you do decide to give it a go, I'd recommend Uncharted 2. It's a very linear, narrative-driven game, but I was very fond of it. I thought it was a great bit of Indiana Jones style fun, exploring Nepalese temples and so forth.

I played uncharted 2. I think it was the best example of cinematic storytelling at the time. I had a PS3 for 10 months to play rdr and some other games like uncharted 2.

I will likely wait for a holiday and then do the 7 day trial for the last of us and uncharted 3.

Seems streaming services get another push. Microsoft anounced its project xCloud last year and Google also that browser based gaming service. Google just presented their controller:
https://mobile.twitter.com/repsup100/status/1104259272517382145

Revolutionary I must say

Last edited:
To get the real console 'experience' (use PS Now to stream it from the cloud to my pc, then use steam streaming to get it from the pc to the tv).

Anyways, seems like PS Now is only 720p. That's actually a limitation of the ps3 (and not ps now), but I have seen there is a remaster version of the last of us for ps4 so I rather want to play that. If Dart takes a break from the watch and from gaming, maybe I can have his ps4. Dart?

So I bit the bullet and I am playing the last of us on ps now, despite it being the older ps3 version. I just couldn't wait anymore. :)

The interface of ps now is an atrocity. The games are arranged in rows like netflix, making it hard to continue the last game you were playing. To find the games in your list or history you have to scroll down several pages. This should be at the top, or at least a dedicated page easily accessible. As far as I can tell there is no search function... unbelievable. There is also no settings page, I would like to have tuned some settings like windowed mode, exclusive fullscreen, resolution, etc.

Playstation exclusives I have my eye on are bloodborne, uncharted 3, heavy rain, and beyond: two souls: Two souls has lackluster reviews, but heavy rains seems excellent.

Fun fact, seems sony has developed a board with 8 ps3s on it for their data centers.
https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...dware-with-eight-ps3s-on-a-single-motherboard

So I bit the bullet and I am playing the last of us on ps now, despite it being the older ps3 version. I just couldn't wait anymore. :)

The interface of ps now is an atrocity. The games are arranged in rows like netflix, making it hard to continue the last game you were playing. To find the games in your list or history you have to scroll down several pages. This should be at the top, or at least a dedicated page easily accessible. As far as I can tell there is no search function… unbelievable. There is also no settings page, I would like to have tuned some settings like windowed mode, exclusive fullscreen, resolution, etc.

How is the framerate? Is there any input lag?

The input lag is ok most of the time. In fact, I only notice it when I pay attention to it. I do notice some very light stutter occasionally while turning the camera around. It seems a bit like the graphics card can't keep up with rendering. Could be that, or a small hicup in the streaming. It is nitpicking though, it plays just fine. Then again, I'm not that sensitive to it (played with lowest tier graphic cards for years), 60 or 120 fps folk might go crazy.

I tried bloodborne (a ps4 game) for 15 minutes and it was much more fluid than TLoU. So the perceived lower framerate might just be due to the ps3.

Back
Top Bottom