Tropico 6 Released

It's mostly a city building game. You construct buildings, pass laws, negotiate with world powers, and yes it has some combat. Mostly revolutionaries and guerillas.

To answer you it's not comparable to any civilization game. Different games and genre.

PC Gamer has a review: https://www.pcgamer.com/tropico-6-review/

Yeah, definitely more of a city builder with quite a bit more humor than the other games. They've been really fun for me.

If you're just starting, I think you might want to go with Tropico 4 first. Even without a sale, you can get the complete game for $25 and sales will probably knock that down a lot more. (I wonder if they will be part of the Spring sale with 6 out?)

There's also a demo of 4 you can get on the Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/57690/Tropico_4/

Demo button is on the right side, just under the 'is the game relevant to you' section.

It's mostly a city building game. You construct buildings, pass laws, negotiate with world powers, and yes it has some combat. Mostly revolutionaries and guerillas.

To answer you it's not comparable to any civilization game. Different games and genre.

It is mostly a city building game. Economy sims are still quite popular within Germany. Hence the success of Tropico in Germany.

The original game was imho great. It's one of the few games I start once in a while, despite it being so old. It has a great soundtrack, too.

The modern Tropico games were a bit too modern for my taste, but I think I'll give it a try.

Edit : The second Tropico game was a massive failure. And once of the worst games I've ever played. It's essentially kind of a pirate sim, in which mostly luck defines how much plunder you get to the home island, and the people must be forced to stay there by building fear-invoking elements.

Edit : The second Tropico game was a massive failure. And once of the worst games I've ever played. It's essentially kind of a pirate sim, in which mostly luck defines how much plunder you get to the home island, and the people must be forced to stay there by building fear-invoking elements.
Ah, I was wondering! Talking on forums and such, it's like the series started with #3. Nobody speaks of the Before Time.

Believe I still own the original games they are in a jewel case somewhere. They are also early versions of what we play now, and there was nothing dark about them.

Link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropico_2:_Pirate_Cove

Alrik just hates dark themed games and that's a known fact on this forum.

Alrik just hates dark themed games and that's a known fact on this forum.

Yes, that's right, but I DID try to look over that stuff. It was really awful. Plus, it never reached lots of sales. I mean, if I alone was hating it, there should have been much more press out it, right ? But no, nobody is talking about it.
At least not here in Germany.

And no pirate-themed game using that exact formula has been developed since then, too.

Tropico 1 even got an add-on back then.

If you really want to see it for your self, then just play Tropico 2, and then report back to this forum. It least it would confirm or falsify my own opinion about that game.

Back
Top Bottom