CD Projekt Red Might be Fighting a Hostile Takeover - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » The Witcher Games » The Witcher 3 » CD Projekt Red Might be Fighting a Hostile Takeover

Default CD Projekt Red Might be Fighting a Hostile Takeover

November 6th, 2016, 14:47
http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/cd…tile-takeover/

The news has been compiled very well on Reddit, with official sources mostly coming in Polish, as the studio is based out of Poland. The events that have led to this current rumor is that CD Projekt Red is currently calling a nearly unprecedented emergency meeting of stockholders. The agenda for this meeting gives hints that the studio is currently fighting against someone trying to buy up enough stock to take over control.
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile
porcozaur is offline

porcozaur

porcozaur's Avatar
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

#1

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,508
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Default 

November 6th, 2016, 15:11
Originally Posted by porcozaur View Post
http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/cd…tile-takeover/

The news has been compiled very well on Reddit, with official sources mostly coming in Polish, as the studio is based out of Poland. The events that have led to this current rumor is that CD Projekt Red is currently calling a nearly unprecedented emergency meeting of stockholders. The agenda for this meeting gives hints that the studio is currently fighting against someone trying to buy up enough stock to take over control.
What a terrible media spin. Poor EA only wants what is best for the studio and the people. They are here for the little guy, here for you. I can't believe how a few media warmongers try and spin this!
Wisdom is offline

Wisdom

Wisdom's Avatar
Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#2

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,515
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

Default 

November 6th, 2016, 17:16
Eh as bad as I want to curse the unknown buyer I can't, as this is how the business industry works. Also CDPR wouldn't be the first company to be taken over.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by
lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ― Robert Heinlein
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Lazy Layabout

#3

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 21,604
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

November 6th, 2016, 17:18
This is why we can't have nice things.
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela

#4

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 8,616
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)

Default 

November 6th, 2016, 18:56
If they didn't want to face an hostile takeovers, they (owners) should have kept enough voting shares to assure themselves "majority control" over the company.
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer
azarhal is offline

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#5

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,301
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

Default 

November 6th, 2016, 18:57
If it is EA or ubi, I'm officially done. Maybe it's someone from the classic days that did gold box, wizardry series, or something like those. Not likely, though. -xxxx
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#6

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 10,153
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

Default 

November 6th, 2016, 19:34
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
If they didn't want to face an hostile takeovers, they (owners) should have kept enough voting shares to assure themselves "majority control" over the company.
Easier said than done.
Assuming Class 1 (or Class A, or Dominate Voting) shares.
If the (owners) retain a clear majority, the input of the shareholders is diminished and the perceived value of the shares are affected. Large shareholders want to feel they have some control over the direction of the company and if the (owners) hold too many voting shares that feeling of direction from shareholders is lost.

Its a fine line of balance between luring investors and retaining control.
Wisdom is offline

Wisdom

Wisdom's Avatar
Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#7

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,515
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

November 6th, 2016, 19:38
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
If it is EA or ubi, I'm officially done. Maybe it's someone from the classic days that did gold box, wizardry series, or something like those. Not likely, though. -xxxx
Unrelated:
Apparently there is rumors of a hostile takeover of Ubisoft from Vivendi… how bad could that be
Wisdom is offline

Wisdom

Wisdom's Avatar
Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#8

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,515
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

Default 

November 6th, 2016, 19:51
It's not EA, they have Bioware already and don't need another RPG developer. In some perfect future Bioware would exit EA and merge with CDpr, but that won't happen.

I would suspect Ubi next, but what Wisdom says is not rumors, Ubi is fighting hostile takeover attempt by Vivendi and makes no sense these days Ubi'd push it themselves.

My best guess is BigPoint. If I'm right and they succeed, Cyberpunk2077 will be scrapped then remade as Travian2.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#9

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 21,482
Mentioned: 152 Post(s)

Default 

November 6th, 2016, 20:02
Originally Posted by Wisdom View Post
Unrelated:
Apparently there is rumors of a hostile takeover of Ubisoft from Vivendi… how bad could that be
facts not rumors

anyway my money is on microsoft
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile
porcozaur is offline

porcozaur

porcozaur's Avatar
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

#10

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,508
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Default 

November 6th, 2016, 20:37
Originally Posted by porcozaur View Post
facts not rumors
anyway my money is on microsoft
Can you imagine GOG run like Origin or Steam? lol.
Wisdom is offline

Wisdom

Wisdom's Avatar
Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#11

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,515
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

Default 

November 6th, 2016, 20:48
Originally Posted by Wisdom View Post
Can you imagine GOG run like Origin or Steam? lol.
I was a little bit sick in my mouth.
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela

#12

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 8,616
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)

Default 

November 6th, 2016, 21:02
Can't public do anything about this…like massively buying shares and then selling them back to CDPR, if that makes sense. Few years from now, I'll probably be a billionaire so this wouldn't be a problem.
I doubt Polish people would stand by and watch this…if I get it right, CDPR has a sort of national pride thing going for it. ( Or is it Cinderella man kind of thing?)
Wonder what's the reaction there to this.
BoboTheMighty is offline

BoboTheMighty

BoboTheMighty's Avatar
SasqWatch

#13

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Croatia
Posts: 3,900
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

November 6th, 2016, 21:04
Originally Posted by BoboTheMighty View Post
Can't public do anything about this…like massively buying shares and then selling them back to CDPR, if that makes sense. Few years from now, I'll probably be a billionaire so this wouldn't be a problem.
I doubt Polish people would stand by and watch this…if I get it right, CDPR has a sort of national pride thing going for it. ( Or is it Cinderella man kind of thing?)
Wonder what's the reaction there to this.
The public mostly likes to complain and hope someone else does something about it.
Wisdom is offline

Wisdom

Wisdom's Avatar
Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#14

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,515
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

Default 

November 6th, 2016, 22:48
What the crystal ball shows if EA takes over CDP:

- Battlefield: Witcher XX (annual franchise)
- Cyberpunk 2077 - console exclusive
- GoG no more - here comes Origin (no DRM Free)

EA at its best again - killing innovation and fairness!
SpoonFULL is offline

SpoonFULL

SpoonFULL's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#15

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,190
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Default 

November 7th, 2016, 01:41
Looking at their 5 year stock their shareholders have nothing to complain about.
Also interesting to note their Q3 quarter financial results are due November 9th. Maybe something drastic happened?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2elh9av.jpg (32.0 KB, 68 views)
Last edited by Wisdom; November 7th, 2016 at 02:03.
Wisdom is offline

Wisdom

Wisdom's Avatar
Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#16

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,515
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

Default 

November 7th, 2016, 01:57
Ok, just looked it up.
Founders and board members only hold 35% of the directing shares.
The remainder is 60% free float and 5% institution investors.

Heres a link to the investor sheet with names and %
Its a PDF, the link is safe.
http://docdro.id/UEVZS80
Wisdom is offline

Wisdom

Wisdom's Avatar
Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#17

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,515
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

Default 

November 7th, 2016, 11:49
Basically means that someone could indeed buy enough shares for a hostile takeover. Interesting. If that happens, I'm downloading all my GOG games and putting the DRM free install files on my NAS, just for the sake of it..
Maylander is offline

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#18

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen
Posts: 7,304
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

Default 

November 7th, 2016, 12:51
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
Basically means that someone could indeed buy enough shares for a hostile takeover. Interesting. If that happens, I'm downloading all my GOG games and putting the DRM free install files on my NAS, just for the sake of it..
I am doing the same too! However 99% of all gog games are already on torrents anyway
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#19

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,369
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

Default 

November 11th, 2016, 03:31
Rumor denied: http://www.pcgamer.com/cd-projekt-de…akeover-rumor/
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"
Zloth is offline

Zloth

Zloth's Avatar
I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

#20

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 6,600
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » The Witcher Games » The Witcher 3 » CD Projekt Red Might be Fighting a Hostile Takeover
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:22.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch