What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I hated "I Care a Lot". It was well made and well acted, but it was full of shit people succesfully doing shit things with not only the endorsement but the applause of society. In no way did the ending make up for the rest of it. I often felt like I was supposed to be pulling for the grifters. They were soulless fucking monsters. I wish I could scrub it from my brain.

I thought it was going for a dark comedy/drama with the Dinklage character eventually getting the upper hand and providing some catharsis to viewers by absolutely destroying the lawyer… but then the script direction did a 180 and wanted me to root for someone who cages people against their will to steal their money!? I honestly felt deceived and disgusted by the reversal in the plot's direction.

They made the script a little too close to reality? Actually, it's even less like reality. In reality these people usually get away it.

Also, not sure where you get that the con was being done to the applause of society. If everyone knew about, it wouldn't have been a con.

In the end they show them in bed with the media, doing PR for herself and her corporation.

In the end they show them in bed with the media, doing PR for herself and her corporation.

No, they don't. They just show her doing an interview about herself and the company. Not sure why anyone would translate that to being in bed with the media. She was giving them the same con she gave everyone else.

No, they don't. They just show her doing an interview about herself and the company. Not sure why anyone would translate that to being in bed with the media. She was giving them the same con she gave everyone else.

That's what's called buy off the media. It's going on everyday. You give them content and buy advertising from them, they give you favorable light and they self-censor. And they don't investigate you, or they shut their eyes to anything shady you might be doing.

It's called manufacturing consent.

It argues that the mass communication media of the U.S. "are effective and powerful ideological institutions that carry out a system-supportive propaganda function, by reliance on market forces, internalized assumptions, and self-censorship, and without overt coercion", by means of the propaganda model of communication.

I'd say that's called manufacturing conclusions. :)

You can refuse to believe it, but that's what it was suggesting to me.
Even in real-life you're not going to find direct evidence of them knowingly working together. That's why it's so insidious. That each party knows what it's doing, without anything official.

And even in regular everyday scenarios, like at jobs, we people do it. We self-censor. We behave in a way that gives us the needed outcome. Without anything explicit. Just the social contract we are conditioned into while growing up. We behave differently from our true selves in order to not draw the ire of our employer/people we depend on.

What they're doing is on a much bigger scale and with huge consequences to society.

There was nothing that suggested or hinted that in any way. Not to mention how illogical it would be in that scenario.

You've obviously drawn your own personal conclusion though, and that's fine.

There was nothing that suggested or hinted that in any way. Not to mention how illogical it would be in that scenario.

How would it be illogical? It's a win-win scenario for both parties. The media drums up interest and gets eye balls on the screen to maximize advertising revenue. And the company gets free publicity. And the media has no interest to kill their golden goose by investigating them.

The scandal around Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos came to mind right now. Myself not being in the US, I wasn't as exposed to it, but I still received plenty of media coverage on it. For years the media was helping in hyping her company up, with no real investigations being done against her by most media outlets. A little summary from wikipedia:

Founded in 2003 by 19-year-old Elizabeth Holmes,[6] Theranos raised more than US$700 million from venture capitalists and private investors,[7] resulting in a $10 billion valuation at its peak in 2013 and 2014.[8][9] Theranos was hyped to its investors and in the media as a breakthrough in the blood-testing market, where the U.S. diagnostic-lab industry posts annual sales of over $70 billion. Theranos claimed its technology was revolutionary and that its tests required only about 1/100 to 1/1,000 of the amount of blood that would ordinarily be needed and cost far less than existing tests.

A turning point came in 2015, when medical research professors John Ioannidis and Eleftherios Diamandis and investigative journalist John Carreyrou of The Wall Street Journal questioned the validity of Theranos's technology. The company faced a string of legal and commercial challenges from medical authorities, investors, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), state attorneys general, former business partners, patients, and others.[10] By June 2016, it was estimated that Holmes's personal net worth had dropped from $4.5 billion to virtually nothing.[11] The company was near bankruptcy until it received, in 2017, a $100 million loan from Fortress Investment Group secured by its patents.[12] In September 2018, the company ceased operations.

So it took from 2003 to 2015 for someone to discover they were full of shit? If that's not the media being in bed with them, I don't know what is.

Not sure how that article indicates that the media was "in bed with them", but you seem intent on trying to rationalize what you believe here.

And, yes, it would be quite illogical. They're not going to make people in the media aware of what they're doing for some supposed free publicity when they don't need to.

Not sure how that article indicates that the media was "in bed with them", but you seem intent on trying to rationalize what you believe here.

And, yes, it would be quite illogical. They're not going to make people in the media aware of what they're doing for some supposed free publicity when they don't need to.

Ok, I rest my case. :)

Ok, I rest my case. :)

To be fair, you didn't really present one. Not trying to be a dick, just being honest. :)

It would be different if you could point to a specific act or dialogue in the film that actually supports the theory rather than simply postulating a 'what if' situation.

To be fair, you didn't really present one. Not trying to be a dick, just being honest. :)

It would be different if you could point to a specific act or dialogue in the film that actually supports the theory rather than simply postulating a 'what if' situation.

Not everything needs to be presented in the film to be proof of something going on in the film. The film's setting is a version of our real world, and thus we already make a lot of assumptions as to how it functions, based on our real world. And based on that I can assume things going on in the movie, without needing to be presented with direct evidence in the film. The question, in our case, is whether the director/writer wanted to suggest what I'm saying is happening, with that interview scene. I'm saying it is. You're saying there's no proof.

Of course, I will never have hard proof that what I'm saying is happening, just like in the real world you could never prove the media is in bed with a lot of interests, since there rarely is hard proof of a deal being made. But that is by design. Each party knows what it has to do, to gain benefit.

Not everything needs to be presented in the film to be proof of something going on in the film. The film's setting is a version of our real world, and thus we already make a lot of assumptions as to how it functions, based on our real world. And based on that I can assume things going on in the movie, without needing to be presented with direct evidence in the film. The question, in our case, is whether the director/writer wanted to suggest what I'm saying is happening, with that interview scene. I'm saying it is. You're saying there's no proof.

Hey, that's cool. I'm pretty sure nothing was being suggested there, but if want to believe that…

It just wasn't a clever movie in that way. Nothing was subtle about the things people were doing at any point in the film.

The Last Witch Hunter

It's the typical crap action movie I've come to expect from Vin Diesel. I actually caught it on cable by accident and didn't realize who was in it until after the prologue which seemed decent enough. I watched it through to the end because I kept thinking maybe it would get better. It didn't.

Long story short, Diesel is… yes, a witch hunter! Not only that, but he's immortal too because he was cursed by the queen witch back in medieval times. Now he's battling witches in the modern day, and... I'm sure you can figure out the rest.

It also has Elijah Wood and Michael Caine which surprised me considering the overall lack of quality here. I can only assume they needed the money or just didn't have anything better to do at the time. Caine in particular is much too good an actor to have been in this.

I can only assume they needed the money or just didn't have anything better to do at the time.
Contracts.
When you sign one, sometimes it adds an obligation to appear in two more movies by the same company and then people do that.

From a moviemaker perspective it's fantastic as they can advertise big names on posters and trailers, but from the audience perspective it's bullshit as the script and direction gets done by cheap amateurs.

I don't like imdb much with 1/10 10/10 trolls and paid shills, but thanks to the very same imdb I've dodged so many bullets thanks to normal people who warn if a title is overhyped or overrated garbage.
Thanks to those same people I also found so many underappreciated gems too.

Also, not sure where you get that the con was being done to the applause of society. If everyone knew about, it wouldn't have been a con.

Everyone in her office seemed aware of what she was doing and were wildly enthusiastic about it, high fiving her as she scored another mark.

Doctors were into it. The one who was killed, and apparently another who signed off on it afterwards (she mentions them in court, but we don't see them)

The entire facility was into it. Nurses, orderlies, administrators, guards. They had to be complicit in drugging her into a stupor, in disallowing her from having a cell phone, etc.

The court system never questioned it. The police never questioned it. There was no evidence they knew it was a scam, exactly, but they also made zero attempt to ever listen to the victim in any way, and they ignored obvious evidence of kidnapping and abuse.

These methods were spread to "80" facilities nationwide (that's the plan, and given her massive success shown in the end, we can assume something on that scale was reached), meaning that now she's involved many hundreds of people in her scheme, including many more (I believe Dinklage says "hundreds") fake guardians, who had to know that it was bullshit for them to fill the role. Many, many more doctors would have to directly involved for this to happen. All apparently cool with it.

No hint at any exposes, any journalists, any law enforcement, any ANYONE investigating this at any point or even mildly concerned about it. Just one guy who loved his mom. And now he'll spend the rest of his life in prison.

Last edited:
I re-watched a film I'd not seen in quite a few years, the Straight Story. If I remember right both Lynch and Disney made this film happen, a pairing that's not likely to ever repeat. It's biography and a good one, if you want a film that will tug at the heart and perhaps open an eye or two, this might do both.

Everyone in her office seemed aware of what she was doing and were wildly enthusiastic about it, high fiving her as she scored another mark.

Doctors were into it. The one who was killed, and apparently another who signed off on it afterwards (she mentions them in court, but we don't see them)

The entire facility was into it. Nurses, orderlies, administrators, guards. They had to be complicit in drugging her into a stupor, in disallowing her from having a cell phone, etc.

The court system never questioned it. The police never questioned it. There was no evidence they knew it was a scam, exactly, but they also made zero attempt to ever listen to the victim in any way, and they ignored obvious evidence of kidnapping and abuse.

These methods were spread to "80" facilities nationwide (that's the plan, and given her massive success shown in the end, we can assume something on that scale was reached), meaning that now she's involved many hundreds of people in her scheme, including many more (I believe Dinklage says "hundreds") fake guardians, who had to know that it was bullshit for them to fill the role. Many, many more doctors would have to directly involved for this to happen. All apparently cool with it.

No hint at any exposes, any journalists, any law enforcement, any ANYONE investigating this at any point or even mildly concerned about it. Just one guy who loved his mom. And now he'll spend the rest of his life in prison.

Yes, those were the people who were in on it by the end. That's a far cry from society.

A few hundred people in a nation of over 300 million. What you wrote there only reinforces what I'm saying.

Yes, those were the people who were in on it by the end. That's a far cry from society.

A few hundred people in a nation of over 300 million. What you wrote there only reinforces what I'm saying. :)

More like a few thousand. In the single home we saw plus her office plus community, there were at least 40 people involved. 80x40 = 3200. A few thousand who have wives and husbands and friends they talk to. And absolutely nobody objects.

When polls are conducted, do they ask the entire population? No, they ask a representative sampling of the entire population. This is easily enough people involved to constitute a signficant statistical sample.

More like a few thousand. In the single home we saw plus her office plus community, there were at least 40 people involved. 80x40 = 3200. A few thousand who have wives and husbands and friends they talk to. And absolutely nobody objects.

When polls are conducted, do they ask the entire population? No, they ask a representative sampling of the entire population. This is easily enough people involved to constitute a signficant statistical sample.

You can postulate all you want, but your math still doesn't even come close to equalling "society".

Why don't you just admit it was a poor choice of words? :)

Back
Top Bottom