Skyrim - Editorials @ Gamefront, VideoGamer

Classless systems have been around a long time in rpgs. Not sure why this person thinks it is some kind of revelation or something new. I prefer strict class based systems myself, the best way to me is a party of characters, where each of them has strengths and weaknesses and clearly defined roles, and combined work together well. I guess its my early 80s D&D experiences that make this system very appealing to me. Most crpgs don't have this though and concentrate on one main character who ends up being a jack of all trades in order to get a wide ranging experience of different skills.

Amen, amen. I could not agree more.

Regarding the second link:

Why do they keep letting clueless children blog about RPGs? The Elder Scrolls series has always offered to "mold one's character to your individual preferences". You could freely define your custom class, ffs!
They made sure there were tradeoffs, though, and once you made your choice you were going to face its consequences.
Which is a good thing, as opposed to "trying out everything at once", as our blogger suggests, along with "be your own character". Where exactly is the role-playing in that?

The problem I have with the conversations is that there is no consistency, It always seems like there's a different writer for every quest and none of them have any idea what the others wrote. For example you can finish the Dark brotherhood questline as a madman only to proceed to do the main quest with no option to continue along those lines.

Is there an ETA on a review by the RPGwatch people?
Looking forward to that one.
Played Yesterday for the first time, god what a stupid UI system. luckly for me there is an kinda ok UI mod.

You're crazy! Morrowind's interface was horror! I still have nightmares of it! I wake up in the middle of the night! Oblivion's interface, I was still pausing and thinking and wasting seconds, going, "where was this and this screen again?" hours into the game. That feeling never went away, neither. Skyrim's interface, for whatever it is, is infinitely better than those two games.

Are you serious?

Morrowind's interface was quite good, and it was the last time Bethesda had a PC-centric UI in one of their games.

You're crazy! Morrowind's interface was horror! I still have nightmares of it! I wake up in the middle of the night! Oblivion's interface, I was still pausing and thinking and wasting seconds, going, "where was this and this screen again?" hours into the game. That feeling never went away, neither. Skyrim's interface, for whatever it is, is infinitely better than those two games.

I completely agree. I hated Morrowind's UI. Oblivion's was a bit more convenient, but I spent a lot more time scrolling around compared with Skyrim. I also like how the perk tree constellations were implemented - beautiful menu design.

The main improvement to the UI for Skyrim over Oblivion is the addition of the categories for Keys, Books, Ingredients, Food, Potions and Misc for inventory items, as well as the categories added for each of the magic skills, powers, shouts and active effects.

Probably helps somewhat (for navigating the spell lists) that I don't have 200 custom spells created at a spell-making altar combining various schools of magic.

Morrowinds UI was straight to the point just like I want it - inventory (with icons) all on one scrollable sheet, paper doll, map, journal. Everything was there, compact and complete, all the information about your character was readily available on one screen. It wasnt there to be pretty, it wasnt there to dazzle you, it was simply there to convey information and it did that perfectly well.

The only thing that needed tweaking was the crappy original, small font. Once i tweaked that, it was all good. I'd kill for the MW UI in this game

Morrowind´s UI wasn´t without flaws, but good overall and certainly a lot less cumberstone than Skyrim´s.
Customizable, available via single click and compact.
Despite its nice stylization, Skyrim´s UI is simply subpar functionality-wise.
Have fun scrolling to that potion of vigorous healing of yours :).

Last edited:
even hotkeying items is a pain in the ass!

not to mention (but I'll mention it anyway of course) i'm having the problem w/ the program forgetting my keys, AGAIN. Go to pull out my swords, and theyre not hotkeyed any more. Like there's not enough chaos in battle as it is..

even hotkeying items is a pain in the ass!

not to mention (but I'll mention it anyway of course) i'm having the problem w/ the program forgetting my keys, AGAIN. Go to pull out my swords, and theyre not hotkeyed any more. Like there's not enough chaos in battle as it is..

Yes the hotkeys don't seem to work very well for dual wielding melee weapons in particular, and specific types of arrows get removed once you deplete them.

Also, if you favorite too many things, the favorites menu becomes a bit cluttered.

I find I use the favorites menu strictly for couple of frequently used weapons and potions, but use the normal magic menu for spells, shouts and daily powers, as it is broken down by category.

I have programmed the hotkeys to use a couple of different bows, elemental resistant items and one healing spell.

Regarding arrows, did yours ever convert to lower quality arrows?

I had a bunch of steel arrows that suddenly disappeared, but my iron arrows increased by the same amount. Very odd…

Also, I think think the Morrowind UI was better. But sometime the icons were a little too similar to easily distinguish stuff.

Morrowind's UI is ten times better. I'm still using my gamepad for Skyrim because it works better than the K&M.

Regarding arrows, did yours ever convert to lower quality arrows?

I had a bunch of steel arrows that suddenly disappeared, but my iron arrows increased by the same amount. Very odd…

I've only noticed that when I run out of any particular arrow type while they are equipped, my quiver automatically switches to the next arrow type in inventory. Not sure if this is by alphabetical order, but it seems that way.

When I assign, say, "dwarven arrows" to the favorites menu, if I run out of dwarven arrows, they get removed from favorites, so if you really want them on the favorites list, they would need to be added again when you find more dwarven arrows.

Not a favorites issue. It's an inventory issue. Steel arrows disappearing and being replaced with iron arrows. I had both to begin with, then suddenly zero steel arrows, and a bunch more iron arrows. Buggy!

Are you serious?

Morrowind's interface was quite good, and it was the last time Bethesda had a PC-centric UI in one of their games.

Morrowind's UI might have been PC specific, but it still sucked. I would honestly take Skyrim's UI over Morrowind's in a heartbeat, despite being a PC only gamer for 20+ years. It's just faster and more convenient to get what you need done.

Morrowind's UI is ten times better. I'm still using my gamepad for Skyrim because it works better than the K&M.

This baffles me, honestly. Not trying to be confrontational, but I tried a pad out and KBM is ten times better. Just for picking stuff off shelves alone, if nothing else.

Not a favorites issue. It's an inventory issue. Steel arrows disappearing and being replaced with iron arrows. I had both to begin with, then suddenly zero steel arrows, and a bunch more iron arrows. Buggy!

Hmm... maybe you got pickpocketed by an NPC? :p

Morrowind's UI might have been PC specific, but it still sucked. I would honestly take Skyrim's UI over Morrowind's in a heartbeat, despite being a PC only gamer for 20+ years. It's just faster and more convenient to get what you need done.

You mean it sucked to you.

Not saying there's anything wrong with liking Skyrim's UI, but I can understand why so many people prefer Morrowind's.

Back
Top Bottom