Obsidian Entertainment - Countdown Timer

Of course not for older Versions of MS Windows - because people will have to love Windows 10 ?

lol, yep. I can see the pitch already. "So for those of you damn win 7 hold-outs who haven't been either forced to upgrade or persuaded to upgrade by us selling windows 10 minimum games only, we here at microsoft have a knockout punch, for those rpgers especially. Now, to play the new rpgs from your favorite developers, you will have to get win 10. Why? Because we bought the companies (evil laughter)"

But little did they know we still have a huge backlog, that could easily fill a year or two. Maybe even until linux (or something else new arrives) finally becomes the goto alternative for windows...

While I greatly prefer windows 7; the truth is that the timer is ticking. Not so much for forced compatibility issues (my ms suffer an endless trudge to nothingness); but the truth is that updates will end soon (unless you are a large corporation who will pay $$$$$$ for another of patches).... and once updates cease you will either need to upgrade or be extra careful accessing the internet.

Of course not for older Versions of MS Windows - because people will have to love Windows 10 ?

Looks like Obsidian "The Outer World" is an expy of Buck Rogers. I was expecting something Scifi, but not this.

There is nothing to love/hate.

One thing is M$ won't be caring about older OS security. While currently they partially don't care, sooner or later any support possibility won't exist at all.
Another thing is new hardware manufacturers not developing drivers for old OS as beating the dead horse is not really a desirable business model.

Note that new security fixes for spectre vulnerability are released only for win10:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4465065/kb4465065-intel-microcode-updates

Or if you like it in german:
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Siche...ch-mit-Intel-Microcode-gegen-Spectre-1270202/

Doublepost because it's unrelated:
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/obsi...s-award-2018-wont-feature-micro-transactions/
we do know that it will be in third-person and will be published by Private Division (meaning that it should theoretically be a multi-platform title).

For those wondering, this upcoming RPG will not feature any micro-transactions. As Obsidian has already stated, it does not plan to implement any micro-transcations and Private Division has been incredibly supportive of its vision, its creative freedom, and the process by which it works to make RPGs.

In order of preference: Please don't force me to ignore your new product, should it require Windows ten. Please have zero online requirements, as I'll also likely just ignore it. I don't count great old games/steam platform as online requirements, as I've accepted those "evils". Finally, turn based would be nice, but isn't necessary!

Counting the days. At the twilight of their careers, Tim & Leonard may very well consider this their magnum opus (and even perhaps one of their primary motivations in moving to Obsidian). Having been in various stages of development for the past two years, I can't wait to see what they've cooked up; these are just about some of the only developers I still have faith in.

Surely this is the Project Indiana news that RPG (and notably Tim Cain/Leonard Boyarsky fans) have been been waiting for?

The Outer Worlds. A spiritual successor to Fallout and Arcanum in Space? :)

Every time an Arcanum spiritual successor has been promised the end result evokes almost nothing of Arcanum and everything of everyones favourite rose tinted game, Baldurs Gate 2, with the Pillars series being the worst offender. I‘ll be deliriously happy to see a unique setting and lore but I’m not going to hold my breath.

A fallout or arcanum setting won’t thrill me but if the gameplay is strong enough I’d give it a go.

The whole Windows 10 thing shouldn't really shouldn't be a problem. By the time this is out, Windows 7 will be over a decade old. People shouldn't be surfing the internet on 10 year old software, especially if we're talking about the browser or the operating system.

Edit: Upgrading to Chrome, Firefox, Opera or similar certainly helps, but there are quite a few OS specific issues that won't be resolved by doing that.

10 years old software?
Last weekend my school friend brought me her laptop which is 10 years old hardware to "clean" it up a bit. I did what I could and it does work a bit better now. But I had also to suggest (politely as it's not forums here) trashing it in the first bin and replace with something newer. I mean, it's worse than playstation4 hardware inside - even facebook struggles with it.

It's this one:
https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-...duo-t7250-2ghz-1gb-ram-80gb-hdd-xp-pro/specs/

Even massive companies, like mine, are moving from Win7. It is just too vulnerable nowadays.

I haven't cared about Obsidian in a long while now. Since FNV, natch.

Even massive companies, like mine, are moving from Win7. It is just too vulnerable nowadays.

I haven't cared about Obsidian in a long while now. Since FNV, natch.
It is more to do with not being able to buy new Win 7 licences than any kind of vulnerability.

I still say fuck WIn 10, during installation and setup you can only choose between being spied on more or less.

There are no new ideas -- it's bound to rip off something. The question is how well it's implemented.

Surely this is the Project Indiana news that RPG (and notably Tim Cain/Leonard Boyarsky fans) have been been waiting for?

The Outer Worlds. A spiritual successor to Fallout and Arcanum in Space? :)
It is according to RPGsite.

Link - https://www.rpgsite.net/news/8052-obsidian-entertainment-announcing-new-rpg-at-the-game-awards
Obsidian Entertainment has begun teasing an upcoming announcement for a new RPG, set to reveal at The Game Awards on December 6. This is confirmed to be the project announced last December under Take Two's indie publishing label Private Division. As revealed last year, this RPG is helmed by Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky, co-creators of the original Fallout.

The teaser comes as 'pop-up ads' on Obsidian's homepage, featuring several images similar in style to what you might imagine from a Fallout or Bioshock game. A Linkedin account unearthed last year has potentially revealed that this title is a 3rd person action RPG.

While I greatly prefer windows 7; the truth is that the timer is ticking. Not so much for forced compatibility issues (my ms suffer an endless trudge to nothingness); but the truth is that updates will end soon (unless you are a large corporation who will pay $$$$$$ for another of patches)?. and once updates cease you will either need to upgrade or be extra careful accessing the internet.

I do know that. But ... the change between Windows 7 to Windows 10 is just too strong for my taste. I'll rather use Linux for internet use, then.

One thing is M$ won't be caring about older OS security. While currently they partially don't care, sooner or later any support possibility won't exist at all.

Microsoft *never* cared about *anything* that has become older. Remember the Windows Sound Card, for example ? Or their older games ?

Microsoft is just the top of "we'll show those customers what we understand with TCO !" We customers are merely good enougfh to be milked - support isn't necessary, not to even mention long-term support.

Long-term support is what big foirms get, not the customer. Translation : "We care about big firms with big money, we don't care about the home customer. We care about their money, though."

Action RPG with lots of shooting and romances. Yay

Kind of underwhelmed with the pics. The Fallout setting is WAY overplayed and this looks to be going for that same vibe, maybe with some Bioshocj flair. Would rather something different.

Back
Top Bottom