What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Indeed, he only touches the tip on many of the topics he speaks about and films. He could have gone much deeper in many cases, but I do applaud him for taking the risks in the first place.

Still sounds like he's doing a thousand times more research than joxer when he talks about things he has zero personal experience with :)

Sadly, I find those two documentaries very shallow. Highly entertaining most definetly, but IMO he needed to dig a bit deeper.

Moore is not the least interested in going deeper or in actual facts with anything he's doing. What he's doing is pure entertainment and propaganda. They're not meant to be serious documentaries because its not the audience he wants to appeal to at all (people with an actual clue and brains).

It's a pretty smart format for propaganda though (and to earn money, obviously) you can reach millions of people who wants shock value and entertainment, something a documentary very rarely can do - and it would require actual effort.

He's been pretty honest with this before, no idea if he's still like that, been 15+ years since i followed interviews with this douche.

Get Out is a movie best seen without any advance knowledge of the plot.
--
Sort of like Fatal Attraction. If you have no clue what to expect when you watch it (which I did when it was first released); it is a bit of a shocker.

Remember that Robin Hood movie released in November of this this year? Remember me saying it would be utter crap? Well surprise I was right again as I finally watched it.:(

*Just for reference another movie for this year was also released called Robin Hood The Rebellion. Surprise that one was crap also. Glad someone else paid for the ticket.

Last edited:
The best interpretation I've yet to see on Robin Hood was Robin of Sherwood, a BBC production in the early or mid eighties, if memory serves. It lasted maybe a month in the bible belt area where I lived at the time, because it actually has outright paganism depicted, and the collective religious gaskets just exploded!! Others taped them for me and that's how I finally saw all the episodes, what a great show, and one I'd love to own on dvd.

The best interpretation I've yet to see on Robin Hood was Robin of Sherwood, a BBC production in the early or mid eighties, if memory serves. It lasted maybe a month in the bible belt area where I lived at the time, because it actually has outright paganism depicted, and the collective religious gaskets just exploded!! Others taped them for me and that's how I finally saw all the episodes, what a great show, and one I'd love to own on dvd.
I only watched the BBC Tv version of Robin Hood from 2006. It wasn't that bad but they killed a major character, and the next season fizzled out as the show was ruined.

Almost as bad as Starz's cable TV version of Spartacus. It suffered the same fate.

The Iron Sky parody movie sequel has a new trailer.

The Official Theatrical Trailer for Iron Sky The Coming Race is here and it's got everything we promised. As the announcer in a 50s film trailer would put it: See spaceships, dinosaurs and reptilian shapeshifters! Marvel at the sun in the center of the Hollow Earth! Bear witness to the end of the world! The film will premiere on January 16th, 2019 in Finland. Together with our Scandinavian distributor SF Studios we're also arranging exclusive preview screenings in Stockholm, Oslo and Copenhagen with a live stream from the world premiere event in Helsinki.

The best interpretation I've yet to see on Robin Hood was Robin of Sherwood, a BBC production in the early or mid eighties
I didn't watch that one and kinda not planning to. Ever. For anyone willing to give it a try an info it's two seasons (of total three) are available on Amazon Prime:
https://www.amazon.com/Robin-of-Sherwood/dp/B078SKVDHF

The complete series are available on both DVD and BR:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Robin-Sherwood-Complete-Michael-Praed/dp/B00439ST3Y
If I understood correctly, these editions on optical media do not contain transcripts for hearing impaired, but you can easily find fanmade ones in internet. Be fast though, the rumor is Australia plans blocking fanmade subtitles sites and when one country does something, more will follow.

But I did watch plenty of adaptations including some tv shows, the version I take as the best is almost 100 years old one with Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029843/
Sure, many other versions were fun, but this one is simply something I haven't seen beaten by any other attempt.

Starz's cable TV version of Spartacus.
In that case the actor actually died from cancer after season 1 was filmed (the prequel spinoff was a result of him being unavailable due to ongoing treatmants), so it's not really the same thing as what happened with Roseanne or with Jadzia/Ezri in DS9.

Last edited:
In that case the actor actually died from cancer after season 1 was filmed, so it's not really the same thing as what happened with Roseanne or with Jadzia/Ezri in DS9.
Death of the main character in both shows.

Robin Hood writers killed Robin the main character. Spartacus lost the main actor in real life. While different it lead to the cancellation of both shows in the end.

At least Spartacus got a spin-off sequel but it flopped also.

I saw Upgrade (2018) and really liked it! 4 stars!

"Set in the near-future, technology controls nearly all aspects of life. But when Grey, a self-identified technophobe, has his world turned upside down, his only hope for revenge is an experimental computer chip implant called Stem. "

...The only part that annoyed me a little was when the implant says Grey can hear him because it's sending "sound waves to your eardrum". Sound waves? Vibrations? Surely he's going past that and sending the electrical signals straight to the brain, like an eardrum would send? Is this an oversight or was the implant lying or talking down to him so he can understand. I guess Grey didn't correct him? Still seems like an oversight you wouldn't leave in for people to poke at.

My brother and I went to see Vice today, I learned much about Richard Cheney that I didn't know. The people that they used to play the inner circle of the Bush administration were all well cast, as was Cheney's family. I'm sure the film will get totally bashed as being some liberal media piece, but I found it pretty though provoking myself.

I saw a good social commentary movie about the state of our world, in the end-phase of our corporate-owned capitalistic world. Sorry to Bother You. It goes overboard sometimes, but it only does that for emphasis. Recommended.

MV5BNjgwMmI4YzUtZGI2Mi00M2MwLWIyMmMtZWYzMWZmNzAyNmYwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_SY1000_SX673_AL_.jpg

Went to The Favourite (director Yorgos Lanthimos) this evening.
Great acting, good script, impressive costumes, lovely setting and excellent camera work. The end was a bit disappointing though.

Yea that is a movie i'd like to see. Maybe tomorrow. Good cast.

Great acting, good script, impressive costumes, lovely setting and excellent camera work. The end was a bit disappointing though.

I re-watched a movie that I'd not seen since 1990 or so, the Grifters. Talk about a movie that is just rough and painful throughout, and then completely sucker-punches you at the end.

I saw a good social commentary movie about the state of our world, in the end-phase of our corporate-owned capitalistic world. Sorry to Bother You. It goes overboard sometimes, but it only does that for emphasis. Recommended.
I can't stand Tessa Thompson. But okay, I'll try to watch it.
Biography+drama and not biography+thriller+crime+horror+anythingbutdrama is huge no for me. Sorry, I'm gonna skippit.

I watched the 1st part of The Ballad of Buster Scruggs and wasn't impressed. Are the other chapters better?
You suck. The movie is a nearmasterpiece.
What's your life worth, what do you think? - Coen brothers give you an answer in form of several short stories in western setting, each better than another yet each awsome. Amazing work.
Watch this one, asap, it's crazy good. Well, unless...

Keep in mind that the movie is made as classical western which means it's not politically correct. Okay? If sjw is your thing and you can't see the actual message being blinded by nonsense, stay away from this one.

Germany and humor = oxymoron, right? :)

I've caught another attempt thanks to a sequel it spawned.
Lammbock tells a story about two friends in pizza delivery business, but it's a cover, they deal pot inside those pizzas. Except that, nothing in their life works. In the sequel Lommbock they're reunited and of course nothing works again except the pot.

MV5BMTI3Mzk0MDIxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTUxNTQyMQ@@._V1_.jpg
MV5BNjU1NWYwZTAtYTQzYS00MzNmLTgxNGYtZDMwYzA3ZjE0YTYzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQ3NzUxOTM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,707,1000_AL_.jpg

Both movies are decent, a bit silly, not very funny though, but still not a waste of time. In fact are so exotic they deserve being watched. If you find them, give them a chance. If not, don't worry, you didn't miss anything essential.
If you're sick of mainstream rubbish or are exotics collector, import them right now. Note that DVDs do not come with english subtitles which means googling for fan subs!

You suck. The movie is a nearmasterpiece.
What's your life worth, what do you think? - Coen brothers give you an answer in form of several short stories in western setting, each better than another yet each awsome. Amazing work.
Watch this one, asap, it's crazy good. Well, unless…

Keep in mind that the movie is made as classical western which means it's not politically correct. Okay? If sjw is your thing and you can't see the actual message being blinded by nonsense, stay away from this one.

The Coen Brothers have made some masterpieces (Fargo, The Big Lebowski, No Country for Old Men) but Buster Scruggs isn't one of them.

I found it mildly entertaining at best.

Back
Top Bottom