Ataribox: Atari making a new console

I would agree for sure, but they did raise $2.9m and hired a guy who seems to know what he's doing.

Interesting. I didn't know Intellivision still existed as a company. What have they been doing all these years?

Some of the devs bought the rights to the company from what became of Mattel and actually developed one or two new games. They called themselves Intellivision Lives and ported a back of games over including to PC.

There are various "Flashback" consoles out there including one for Intellivision.

https://www.amazon.com/IntelliVision-AtGames-Flashback-Classic-electronic-games/dp/B00K2BOG66

If it's still essentially a Linux box in a retro Atari case, it could have the entire Linux game library available to it. That's pretty large already, and if the intention is for it to be a lower end, casual console, there could be plenty of games ready for launch.

I remember buying atari's last console called the Jaguar. It was ambitious and better then the competition but ultimately failed. Lets hope it doesn't happen again.

I don't know that I fancy their chances, but I hope they get somewhere. Expanding the Linux gamer base is a good thing, IMO.

Agree but it always fails. It was the same with the Steambox and Steam OS. Seems Linux will always be the bastard child of PC gaming for many more years.

They just need to create a user friendly version that can compete with Windows, and get support from the various tech companies. Wishful thinking and all that.

It could work - just hide the linux. When it boots up, auto-start a program that selects from the pre-installed games. The player picks a game, the program runs it, and sits in the background until the player quits (or the game crashes) then asks again. You can't quit out of that program.

I'd guess that's the way they would go - the default shell would be much like you'd see on a PlayStation (which is just a custom BSD box). I like the fact that the Atari box is not locked down - you can hack on it and install another OS if you wish. To me, that's the ideal way to go - a very slick, focused experience out of the box, but fully under your control if you want to mess with it.

That's what I presume will happen. The console will also have a lot of their old stuff working out of the much like the Atari 2600 Classic.

The problem is, is there is so much deception involved with the marketing of this thing.

Yeah not something I'd just jump on the first month of release, but I might take a serious harder look six months afterwards, just to see how it's progressing.

Back
Top Bottom