Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Review Roundup

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PCGamesN gathered a bunch of reviews for Shadow of the Tomb Raider while DSOGaming showed off some new trailers for the game.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider review scores:
Gamespot: 6/10
Destructoid: 75/100
The Guardian: 3/5
The Daily Telegraph: 2/5
Game Informer (XB1): 75/100
GamesRadar+: 4/5
PCGamer: 84/100
PCGN: 7/10
Videogamer: 7/10
Wccftech: 86/100

[...]
Square Enix has released the Launch and the Tobii Eye Tracking trailers for Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Alongside the post-launch support for real-time ray tracing, the PC version of the game will come with full support for Tobii Eye Tracking.

[...]

Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Pretty low scores. Did not expect that. A 4/10?

It got many high scores as well. The current metacritic average is 81 for PC.

The Telegraph is the only review below 6/10, but you need to log in to view it.

Not the reception I was hoping for, but some of the reviews are in conflict - so it's hard to be certain. Seems some reviewers found the stealth elements unwieldy and a bit lacking - while others seem to emphasize how great they are.

Strange.

However, it does seem to have a lot of significant underwater exploration - and that's something I will have a very hard time staying away from :)

Still need to finish Rise, though.

Ouch. I'm currently playing rottr and was looking forward to this one.

I don't understand what's so bad about an 81 review score average

There is interesting note about forced addition of different RPG elements, upgrades and special features in some AAA games. They have abundance of these featutes but in the end…

- All the elements of a survival title are here - crafting, an RPG and upgrade system - but none of it is necessary. You spend a vast amount of time collecting items to upgrade your guns and level up Lara, but the structure of the game means there is no real point to it. Sometimes you’re given an option of stringing enemies up in trees for example. However, despite using it immediately after acquiring it, you’re then not provided with another opportunity to try it out again for dozens of hours. Frequently the game provides you with upgrades, such as fire arrows, that have next to no use outside of the immediate area in which you got them.

The average score doesn't matter - half of those, "PC reviews", are amateurish, bullshit or not PC at all.

Gamespot - bullshit:
prompting me to check that my controller was still connected and that I still had my primary motor functions.

Cons:
- Stealth feels inconsistent and unsophisticated
- Combat mechanics feel clumsy and unsuited to most encounters
- Platforming can be frustratingly imprecise
Who on PC cares about mushrooms issues in the new Tomb Raider? Only those shills on Steam forums paid to advertise plastic garbage instead of spitting on "yakuza uses gamepad" idiotic PR, right?

The Guardian, Destructoid, Gamesradar, PCGN, PCGamer - no mentioning controls in any of these, amateurish.
JeuxVideo - 5 sentences review, gimme a break.

Videogamer and Wccftech are xbone reviews:
the graphics and particularly the environments look amazing on the Xbox One X

Xbox One X users (and probablyPlayStation 4 Pro users as well) can pick between two modes: High Resolution or High Framerate. While playing on Microsoft’s console

-

Not mentioned above:
Darkstation PC review - again bullshit:
There’s much to recognize in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, so much so that I could pick up the controller and feel right at home from the start.
PC Invasion and PC Games reviews - too short for a game that supposedly offers variety of content to take seriously.
XGN - reviews only barebones and ignores sidecontent meat:
The 15 to 20-hour gameplay of the storyline flies past you

Gamestar - fantastic and detailed review on 5 pages (german, use google translate):
Although both paths lead equally to the goal, but we had the most creeping fun - also because the Ballereien on the PC with the precision of mouse and keyboard are a bit too easy.

Last edited:
If I knew your address, Joxer, I'd send you a PC controller in the mail.

Metacritic also has The Last Jedi at 85… "Professional" reviews on just about anything these days can be taken with a grain of salt.

I generally enjoy TR, shame this one is looking like a bit of lemon. Not that I'll be playing it any time soon. Mbe it'll get patched up. Being a fan I'll be watching this space to see how it pans out.

Eeesh, that eye tracking doesn't look so good to me. I don't think eye tracking is nearly accurate enough to see what pixel I'm looking at so I can do long distance head shots. With a mouse, I can.

Hmm, well, it isn't even available yet for the general public. I went and looked at the steam store page, and it doesn't unlock until Sept. 14th. So, there aren't even any player reviews up yet. Let's wait and see when the steam player reviews start rolling in, because we know they will be pc gamers.

Personally I think it looks awesome because of the jungle setting. MesoAmerica and South America sound and look like very cool and appealing places for this series.

And it will be patched up too eventually and there are expansions planned, seven of them (!) - just in case it does need some polish.
https://www.gamecrate.com/shadow-tomb-raider-roadmap-includes-seven-post-launch-dlc-packs/19094

I've never played any of the Tomb Raider games, but this one looked intriguing, so I was tempted to try it.

But I've been reading some nasty things about the DRM it uses. So just a heads up to anybody who's thinking about getting this game. Do a little bit of research on 'Denuvo' and see if you're comfortable with it, before you buy.

Back
Top Bottom