General News - Hoarding RPGs

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Andrew Barker at RPGFan penned an article on how he used to complete every game he had in the past, but now finds his backlog rising, which will probably ring true for many of you.

He also goes somewhat into the reasons behind this.

Why is this? Cost is definitely a factor. Computer games, especially on Steam, can often be bought in large numbers for very little cost during sales – not to mention those Humble Bundles! Many of these purchases will be spur of the moment, and actual interest in playing a particular title may wane. Console games are typically more expensive, so less frequently bought, and I know I want to feel my money was "well spent."

Perhaps it's the nature of hoarding games and building a library on virtual platforms that is the biggest contributor. I've been slowly making my way through my Steam games, but with daily deals and seasonal sales, there's always something new to buy. For those of us who were playing games in the 90s, the Pokémon collecting mentality likely bleeds over into other areas of our lives.

For me personally, I'm down to only around 30 games left in my backlog to beat. But that's after a couple of years of focus on what I already own, and buying less than I used to. Among the rest of the RPGFan staff, we have a couple who are fairly on top of their RPG backlogs, though others have 50% or more of their RPGs still to beat. Again, the completion rate among console games is consistently higher than on Steam.
More information.

I have a few myself still haven't touched (Alan Wake, Stalker).
But just a few, I don't hoard dozens of games and then let them to rot.
If these games weren't on sale, I'd never buy them.

And I still tend to finish every game I play. Unless it's very bad like Blood Knights which I've uninstalled after an hour.

I have loads of games I still plan to play, but most likely will not find the time for. Most of them I got from sales and were just to much of a bargain to skip.

I find the digital market means that suddenly there are a lot more games I actually want to play than I once did, and I so I am buying many more than I once did. I also finish most games I start.

Hoarding Games

I presently have a backlog of 1,147 games, and I have completed 417 games (approximately) over the course of my life. I finish about 50 a year. My backlog grows by more each year than those I finish. I rarely quit a game I start unless truly awful. Within the last year, I have beaten the first Questron, and I am currently playing Phantasie (which I dislike, by the way). Other recent completions include Resident Evil 5, Dark Souls and Flatout 2. I figure that as long as you can buy games cheaply, might as well add them to the collection. Of course, I NEVER pay full price for any game. My price threshold now is $5 before I will buy.

by the way, I find it very hard to NOT complete a game because it is such a slippery slope. If I don't finish X game because I am not loving it, suddenly I am flitting from game to game without having fun on any of them. Some games need many hours before they reveal the fun hidden inside.

I wonder how many games I've completed…. Certainly a lot fewer these days than in the past. No more than one game every 3-6 months as it is now.

Thinking about it, it can't be all that many overall. A few hundred, at most - I guess.

Even at the peak of my gaming passion, I never had an obsessive desire to get through games. Well, except if I get past a certain point, which is probably around 75% or so. That's when completing the game tends to become a race, of sorts - and I still complete games when I get that far. There's that certain point where you go from enjoying the discovery and the journey - and you start tasting the victory.

I wonder if I'm the only one who plays games like that? It's interesting, as the experience changes completely from that sense of discovery and paced enjoyment to something very different, almost like an insatiable hunger to get it done.

My backlog is ridiculously massive, and there's no way I'll get through even half of them.

I wonder how many games I've completed…. Certainly a lot fewer these days than in the past. No more than one game every 3-6 months as it is now.

Thinking about it, it can't be all that many overall. A few hundred, at most - I guess.

Even at the peak of my gaming passion, I never had an obsessive desire to get through games. Well, except if I get past a certain point, which is probably around 75% or so. That's when completing the game tends to become a race, of sorts - and I still complete games when I get that far. There's that certain point where you go from enjoying the discovery and the journey - and you start tasting the victory.

I actually think most games lag in the middle. Its usually around the 25% - 40% mark. This is often because developers are trying to extend their games with repetitive or filler material. I much prefer a well done 10 hour game to an overly long 60 hour game. Still a game has to me worse the just mediocre for me not to finish it.

My problem is I find a game I really like and then i replay it too many times. I still want to go back and replay witcher/witcher2 and dragon age (this one I already did 3 times) and I still tned to replay king bounty a lot; so then i buy a game and just don't have time to play it :(

I never replay a game, for obvious reasons as set forth above. With so many new experiences, I can't justify replaying an old one, no matter how awesome.

I agree with Dartagnan's view about what I have always called "sensing the end" - when you can tell the end is close, especially for an RPG, I suddenly have no fun at all and just push hard to get to the end. As long as my character is still growing in power, I feel the need to find every secret, do every quest, etc. to ensure I will be powerful enough to finish the end boss. [As an aside, this is why level scaling ruins RPGs in my opinion - why bother exploring and leveling?]

I'm guilty of hoarding games. I buy a lot of bundles with games that I'm interested in and then they mostly sit in my backlog forever. I'm also guilty of buying games when they are deeply discounted. I have a bunch of games on both Steam and GOG that I've never played.

The good thing is, I'll always have something to play, so it's not a terrible investment, IMO.

I have a huge backlog of games also, maybe a bit over 100. Also I never replay any game. Once Ive experienced the story I see no point in doing it again.

I'm a game collector. I like boxed games (collector editions). I like a second digital version on GOG, too. (no DRM). Often I have the German and the English version of the game, too.
I try to complete every game I begin and do it in > 90% of all games.
My backlog are ca. 50 games.
I have completed ca. 330 CRPGs and I don't know how many other games.
Contrary to the past I don't play other genres than CRPGs very often nowadays.

Last edited:
It's a respectable thing for one to be able to claim they complete things they start.

In my younger days, I had this attitude as well towards games I purchased. Exploring every nook and cranny of Wizardry or Ultima - it wasn't even a thought I just did it. And this was true for 'lesser' games that I purchased and found lacking... still played them to the end.

Fast forward to today, I'm pushing 50. And although any of us may suddenly depart due to haplessly walking off a cliff or being run over by a bus, the one thing certain to take us is old age. And when you start having fewer years in front of you than are behind you… I for one have found myself carefully choosing how I spend my minutes.

And just because I may have bought a game I thought might be fun, I sure as hell am not going to sink many hours into it if it isn't entertaining. Life is too short… literally…

2 reasons:

1. growing up and believing less and less in wonders vs. old times

2. Games aren't pixel wonders anymore, where any idea could be realized. Todays extremely constricted AAA-crap is boring as hell: see Castlevania climbing mechanics see God of War climbing mechanics see Brown-ConsoleGames-Color-Palette see enormous amounts of bugs being created, because today's games are composed of many overcomplicated "essential" parts the sum of which making them not much fun.

I'm hardly having any backlog at all, despite not playing very much. I just can't find enough games I like spending my time on. Over the past months I've only played Baldur's Gate, TDE: Demonicon, Mars: War Logs, Shadowrun Returns, TDE: Blackguards, Bound By Flame, Age of Wonders 3 and Fallen Enchantress.

It seems I just don't like any games besides these kind of RPGs and fantasy-themed turn based strategy. And not even all of these mentioned games were super fun for me…

And I hardly play games more than once. Exception is BG and for other games when there's a sequel coming out which continues the story, like e.g. ME where I've played ME1 three times and ME2 two times.

I'm too busy enjoying modding these days to spend much time actually playing the games. Still, I'm trying to play BG2EE and HotU during odd moments.

Backlog => less time for playing.

That's what I think.

And why am I wasting hours on Diablo 3 with just meager upgrades to speak for each day, when I have jewels like Gothic 3, Risen 2, M&M 7, Jagged Alliance 2, plus endless others on my backlog? Is it the desire to beat tougher challenges or the gambler in me or OCD? Probably all of them...

My backlog isn't as substantial as that of others in this thread (less than a dozen, I think), but I've made essentially no progress on it for the last couple of months. For some reason I haven't been in the mood to game; I've been working on my reading backlog instead. Or I would have been if I hadn't bought so many new books. Grumble grumble Amazon grumble.

Back
Top Bottom