Todd Howard - Video Interview @ Game Star

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Todd Howard the Game Director of Bethesda is interviewed in a new video on Game Star to talk about Skyrim, and the Fallout games.

Thank you HiddenX for the link.
smiley-wink.gif

More information.

Good questions and honest answers about the Elder Scrolls universe and Fallout 3.

That was a good interview. Todd Howard strikes me as quite a likable person, but Bethesda is almost as tight lipped about projects as Valve :) I'm hoping for a Fallout 4 announcement before the end of the year!

Great guy… Completely down to earth. I loved how he managed to talk about crowd-funding in a positive way, where most people in that 100% publisher oriented position would have found a subtle way to put it down.

Also, modesty without fake humility is rare and a nice trait.

Can't wait to be surprised at the level of quality when they're ready to announce their next big thing, which is almost certainly Fallout 4.

That said, I think CDPR might just have the edge this time. I'm still watching that incredible trailer a few times each day :)

That said, I think CDPR might just have the edge this time. I'm still watching that incredible trailer a few times each day :)

So, I'm not alone in this. :D

Yeah, pretty good interview. Initially, I had a negative knee-jerk reaction towards Todd. He seemed like a suit. This interview puts him in a positive light for me.

So, I'm not alone in this. :D

Yeah, pretty good interview. Initially, I had a negative knee-jerk reaction towards Todd. He seemed like a suit. This interview puts him in a positive light for me.

Funny you should mention that, as I had a similar reaction to Todd the first few times I heard him speak. That also had something to do with my somewhat unreasonable opinion of what they were doing with Oblivion and - to some extent - Morrowind.

Of course, Pete Hines didn't exactly help matters - and he IS a suit.

I thought they were dumbing the games down for purely commercial reasons, until I "grew up" and realised that they were trying to create worlds for people to enjoy, and made some natural compromises, like not making hardcore stat-driven games that would have put them out of business for good.

Whatever you might say about the mainstream approach of their recent games, they still manage to create fantastic worlds with amazing freedom.

Sure, I would personally prefer hardcore stats and challenge - but I'm older now, and I understand I'm not more important than other gamers, and immersion has always been at the forefront of TES games. That core vision was never compromised.

I'm just hoping that the mainstream will latch on to ever more complex systems, but I'm not going to expect huge financial risks taken over and over just for me.

In this age of games like Star Citizen - where you can have the community fund a 50+ million dollars insanely ambitious project, where the ENTIRE creative vision is fully intact, I see no reason to bitch about a bit of realism from a company that publishes its own stuff and has to be a little bit more realistic, from a financial standpoint.

Sure, we'll always have EA and the like, who corrupt everything they come across - but at least they're not controlling the entire market as I once feared they would end up doing.

The fact that companies like Bethesda and, especially, CDPR are allowed to exist and flourish - is a testament to the waning power of the dark side.

The good guys fought a hard battle, and they're still standing ;)

In regards to the last question, with Skyrim they held back until one year before release before they started the publicity train. I wonder if for the next project they'll unveil stuff even closer to release.

Hell, with the fake (or partially true) fan info / investigative journalism it publicises itself... unless it turns out it isn't going to be Fallout.

He has become more humble and honest over the years i think. I've followed interviews / previews since Morrowind, and with Skyrim he had changed quite a bit.

Good interview. Glad Todd took up what games does better than any other medium (exploring etc).

He must be doing something right to stand the test of time. Always got time to listen to Todd, very enjoyable interview, and I still get those good feelings playing their games. Nice post :)

Pete Hines is also a very good dude, when he's not acting as the Public Relations VP. He was very active in the #Morrowind Dalnet channel and was constantly taking ridicule for his "old timer" taste in music. Since I was the same age as Pete, I loved his music and we'd share playlists. He's just doing his job and has to toe the company line more than anyone else at Bethesda.

I've always thought well of Todd and that he articulates himself well. I've had this view over the last two decades even when it's been hip and cool to bash him.

Yeah, he definitely has mellowed and appears more sincere. Success no longer means he has to prove anything. Plus age brings wisdom, usually.

"Our best stuff is ahead of us. No doubt. No doubt"

Back
Top Bottom