Seven - Game Reveal Trailer

Basically I hate when developers don't implement good M&KB controls in PC games.
If it doesn't have good mouse & keyboard controls, it's not a PC game. It's just a console game that you can run on a PC, if you choose. So yeah, no thanks.

You can have a style of game where you might implement the best possible MKB controls ever and it will still control better with a gamepad.

Give me three examples of this please

Give me three examples of this please
  1. balls sports sims (FIFA, Madden NFL, NBA live series,…)
  2. racing games
  3. beat 'em ups
  4. simple flight sims
  5. platformer (arguable)

Edit - I'll quote Nameless from the other thread.

I think Nameless gets it wrong on two ends. First, game controllers are a lot more flexible than suggested - or rather, mouse/keyboard aren't "endlessly flexible", as that post claims, because going beyond 16 keypresses (the standard available on any gamepad setup, not counting menu keys) invites usability problems for PC games, anyway; controllers aren't at such a disadvantage as that post suggests. Furthermore, keyboards really are more limited in their movement controls - they only offer 8 degrees of movement, vs. 360 degrees of control with a gamepad.

I vastly prefer KB/M, so I'm not arguing in favor of gamepads here. However, the core design decision isn't whether to support controllers - those are flexible enough to not constrain the control capabilities of most games (except for shooters and MMOs, arguably, for distinct reasons in each case). The real issue is camera definition. If designers choose a fixed camera that doesn't align with the character's in-game perspective (almost always true of fixed cameras), a gamepad's movement granularity will likely be superior - but if the game's camera is relative and aligns pretty well with the avatar's in-game perspective, KB/M will almost always be vastly superior.

All that said, Brothers is a great example of a game design that required a controller for reasons distinct from camera choice. I can't think of another example off the top of my head, but who knows, maybe Seven will turn out to be similar in needing two analog sticks for some non-camera reason.

I saw the trailer and that looks way more combat oriented than I expect for a game oriented toward playing a thief.

I'm kinda disappointed.

I saw the trailer and that looks way more combat oriented than I expect for a game oriented toward playing a thief.

Yes, that combat part looked mediocre or plain bad… (if you bear in mind that the hero should be thief… but instead he is clearly visible, not hidding, just jumps off in clear sunlight, yet it looked like enemies are blind idiots who are surprised by that…)

That is not what I was imagining. Prob my own fault for not reading the fine print earlier.

I get zero thief vibe from that. Interest way down.

The only thing I like at this point is the vertical space.
I agree with the others in this thread who felt a bit disappointed.
Me too, I expected more.

The main disconnect (for me at least) is the Thief reference. Maybe I took that so strong because I love thief so much. But if you mention Thief as an inspiration and your main character is a thief, it's going to make me assume that your game will have some stealth and thieving elements; elements that from the videos seem to be completely lacking.

From the videos it seems to be Diablo in a more steam punk setting with parkour movement and jumping added to the combat. That's fine if that is the game you want to make, but it is far from the impression I (and many others based on other posts) got in reading the early previews and reveals.

It looks like it could be decent, but why the zoomed-out iso view? Imo, something like this would be more immersive with a closer 3rd-person view. That camera angle, and the distance from the character, are a big turn-off for me.

It's like Dishonored and Diablo had a baby... an ugly one.

The main disconnect (for me at least) is the Thief reference. Maybe I took that so strong because I love thief so much. But if you mention Thief as an inspiration and your main character is a thief, it's going to make me assume that your game will have some stealth and thieving elements; elements that from the videos seem to be completely lacking.

From the videos it seems to be Diablo in a more steam punk setting with parkour movement and jumping added to the combat. That's fine if that is the game you want to make, but it is far from the impression I (and many others based on other posts) got in reading the early previews and reveals.

I'm hoping that they were just trying to make an "action-packed" trailer and so they focused on combat as sneaking isn't particularly exciting to watch. As you said, earlier previews had mentioned stealth... (and just recently a "fast forward" button was mentioned to make waiting for guards to go by less tedious).

I quite enjoyed watching that. I'm not sure where the isometric issue comes into play, I think the art style and platformy nature of the game looks great, especially combined with the wonderful music. It looks like an excellently reaslised worldbuild and atmosphere where nothing feels out of place.

What I would criticise would be:

Sound Effects: There's some really annoying sound effects that really jar with the music and atmosphere. The first and most annoying is the odd clicking-like noise that seems to be permanently clicking away while the guy moves about, that got irritating after just five minutes. The sound for looting the boxes seems to be about 3 different noises, all of which thump at you like a plank of wood to the head. Similarly the opening inventory noise is very meh. There seems to be no variety to the noise made in fights, it's all the same grunts and groans copy-pasted no matter who you're fighting or by what method.

General issues: Rain is good, but not for too long, it went on for too long in the clip. It seems like a bit of a sausage fest, as if women don't exist in this world beyond the odd random NPC, which is fine, but detracts from the believeability/immersion. He appeared to be just killing people willy nilly, there didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to how and why the fights went as they did, as in group aggro and people just stopping fighting and going back to their 'position' too easily and just attacking people out the blue.

But, yeah, looked like it had the potential to be very fun.

Back
Top Bottom