Pillars of Eternity - Post-Funding Update #77

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The next post-funding update for Pillars of Eternity is with Associate Producer Rose Gomez who talks about the games Art. Remember to click the link for the new images.

Art in Alpha

Update by Rose Gomez, Associate Producer

Greetings backers! In today's update, we've got some great new character and area art for you to check out. Our artists have been hard at work creating beautiful new areas and lots of new armor for the game. Our next update will be the next chapter in the class series, all about chanters and priests, by Josh Sawyer.
More information.

Last edited:
All... so... generic. At this rate, I may just sell my Collector's Edition on Ebay. I feel practically no desire to jump into this game.

All… so… generic. At this rate, I may just sell my Collector's Edition on Ebay. I feel practically no desire to jump into this game.

Funny, I loved all the screenshots and can't awit to get my hands on this game… ;) For a more unconventional universe it's torment that I want to be amazed by.

Geez Drithius, that sounds a bit rough. Not having an existential crisis or anything are you? It seems you can't post recently without including some kind of bored sentiment. :)

I'm really looking forward to Pillars of Eternity; there's simply not enough party and reasonably heavy narrative based cRPGs these days to turn away from it. In fact, maybe I should upgrade my backing if it's possible - I think my initial payment was one beneath the Collectors Edition. Anyone upped their support recently to confirm if it's possible?

Well, they are going for a late medieval/early renaissance setting, which should be mostly mundane and grungy. I.e. not too fantastical. Presumably they will have some locations that have a more exotic appearance, which the players will have to discover. They may not be sharing those so as not to give too much away.

To me it all looks good; a nice level of detail. These areas haven't gone through the paint-over phase yet, so there are further improvements to come.

Last edited:
Well, they are going for a late medieval/early renaissance setting, which should be mostly mundane and grungy. I.e. not too fantastical. Presumably they will have some locations that have a more exotic appearance, which the players will have to discover. They may not be sharing those so as not to give too much away.

To me it all looks good to me; a nice level of detail. These areas haven't gone through the paint-over phase yet, so there are further improvements to come.

Yeah I'm liking what I see so far. I'm expecting to get my dose of suitably weird from Torment and this feeling more generally "classic" fantasy doesn't bother me.

All… so… generic. At this rate, I may just sell my Collector's Edition on Ebay. I feel practically no desire to jump into this game.

For me, there are many reasons to play this game:

1. Chris Avellone.
2. Old school isometric RPG
3. Provided it's Obsidian, it will likely to have good dialog/choices/branching system.
4. No romance.
5. Art Direction (classic AD&D style, ie. so no spiky weapons and armors.)

Things that I don't like:
1. Combat system.
2. Game Engine.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to this too. Classic party-based isometric without the corporate taint? Yes please.

For me, there are many reasons to play this game:

1. Chris Avellone.
2. Old school isometric RPG
3. Provided it's Obsidian, it will likely to have good dialog/choices/branching system.
4. No romance.
5. Art Direction (classic AD&D style, ie. so no spiky weapons and armors.)

I have opposite opinion to you…

Things I don't like about Pillars of Eternity:

1. Chris Avellone
2. It's Obsidian - track record of bug ridden unfinished product.

In saying that though, I like most of updates and sufficed to say I'm excited if somewhat still skeptical how it will turn out. I'm still going to wait till Watcher reviews once it's released, but at this point, I think I will end up buying this game! :)

I have opposite opinion to you…

Things I don't like about Pillars of Eternity:

1. Chris Avellone
2. It's Obsidian - track record of bug ridden unfinished product.

In saying that though, I like most of updates and sufficed to say I'm excited if somewhat still skeptical how it will turn out. I'm still going to wait till Watcher reviews once it's released, but at this point, I think I will end up buying this game! :)

I'm glad to find people who don't like Mr. Avellone's writing. I mean, he's one of the main reasons of the success of past games like Fallout 2, New Vegas, Planetscape: Torment, KoTOR 2, etc. and helped a lot in the success of recent Kickstarter projects like Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, P:ToN. Different opinions= opportunity to learn. I'm curious about the kind of writing you like in a cRPG. If you don't mind, can you share with us?

And about 'Bugsidian', yes you are right. But still, after all the patching they are good games.

I'm really happy about how this game is coming along. It's unmissable so far how they are exactly delivering what they initially promised. Actually I'm surprised how close it is to the original pitch. I had expected to them to divert more from it.

At this point I can no longer decide for which game I'm waiting more anxiously, Wasteland 2 or Project Eternity. I'm so hoping that they'll release it this year. Their budget makes a later release seem impossible, but it's game development I'm talking about, so you'll never know. :)

And about 'Bugsidian', yes you are right. But still, after all the patching they are good games.

It's hard to shake a bad rep once it's there. But honestly, their last few games weren't that buggy, I'm under the impression that things are changing for the better. South Park was quite bug free, I didn't encounter any and I finished it shortly after release. Dungeon Siege III was also quite smooth. This reputation comes from KotOR II mostly, because they had to throw it out in such a short time period. So I can't blame them 100% for it. The other games NWN 2 and Fallout NV they at least patched up very well. Those games are just awesome now.

I'm glad to find people who don't like Mr. Avellone's writing. I mean, he's one of the main reasons of the success of past games like Fallout 2, New Vegas, Planetscape: Torment, KoTOR 2, etc. and helped a lot in the success of recent Kickstarter projects like Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, P:ToN. Different opinions= opportunity to learn. I'm curious about the kind of writing you like in a cRPG. If you don't mind, can you share with us?

I don't like Chris Avellone for 2 reasons.

1. His writing is good but I find it quite depressing - at least the ones I know he was involved in. I never played Fallout 2, New Vegas since I'm not really into post-apocalyptic setting - again, depressing. PS:T I've already mentioned in different threads, I find it depressing and can't really relate to TNO. KotOR2 I've never played but been watching some youtube videos, and I find the dialogues very intriguing and enjoyable (I love Kreia, Atton and Bao-dur) but again, depressing!

2. Silly reason but I don't like how people seem to sing praise to him for being involved in well-known games. I'm sure he pulled his weight but a game doesn't turn out to be masterpiece because of just one person (imo). I find it rather irritating.

What kind of writing do I like in crpg? If we are just talking about the writing, I actually like Obsidian/former Black Isle games - PS:T and KotOR2 I really enjoyed the writing part. It was just I didn't really enjoy the game as a whole package. Writing can carry only so far, the game has to be playable without too much bugs and frustration.

2. Silly reason but I don't like how people seem to sing praise to him for being involved in well-known games. I'm sure he pulled his weight but a game doesn't turn out to be masterpiece because of just one person (imo). I find it rather irritating.

I agree. But, sometimes it makes the difference, especially if we are talking about the writer. Veteran players of the Fallout series surely will agree that Fallout NV is better than Fallout 3 because of the writing, and is pretty much the same game (engine, gameplay, etc). In DA2 the new writers BW hired were very below the level of the previous game, and the most of the fans hated that.
Personally, I love the characters that Chris Avellone creates.
How about Neverwinter Nights 2? That one wasn't too depressing...

I agree. But, sometimes it makes the difference, especially if we are talking about the writer. Veteran players of the Fallout series surely will agree that Fallout NV is better than Fallout 3 because of the writing, and is pretty much the same game (engine, gameplay, etc). In DA2 the new writers BW hired were very below the level of the previous game, and the most of the fans hated that.
Personally, I love the characters that Chris Avellone creates.
How about Neverwinter Nights 2? That one wasn't too depressing…

I agree with you. Ofcourse writing makes difference :) I was just ranting a little because I really wish KotOR 2 was more polished. I think KotOR2 has top notch writing (although depressing) and much better than KotOR1 (not that I've finished either of them, but from what I've seen so far - playing KotOR1 and watched a fair share of KotOR 2 youtube vids). And yeah DA2 was.... disappointing to say at least.

I did play NWN2 - finished OC and and about 3/4 way through MotB. Well, I think you know what I will say about MotB (depressing!). I don't think OC really had good writing although certainly less depressing than MotB. And bug ridden/terrible performance and unpolished...

Sorry, that's my general view of Obsidian! Good writing but unfinished products and unfortunately I prefer mediocre games to unfinished products no matter how much potential it had! It's good to hear that Obsidian's doing better in that regards though :)

I don't like Chris Avellone for 2 reasons.

1. His writing is good but I find it quite depressing - at least the ones I know he was involved in. I never played Fallout 2, New Vegas since I'm not really into post-apocalyptic setting - again, depressing. PS:T I've already mentioned in different threads, I find it depressing and can't really relate to TNO. KotOR2 I've never played but been watching some youtube videos, and I find the dialogues very intriguing and enjoyable (I love Kreia, Atton and Bao-dur) but again, depressing!

What kind of writing do I like in crpg? If we are just talking about the writing, I actually like Obsidian/former Black Isle games - PS:T and KotOR2 I really enjoyed the writing part. It was just I didn't really enjoy the game as a whole package. Writing can carry only so far, the game has to be playable without too much bugs and frustration.

It's really no surprise that many people like Avellone so much, because he wrote like 80% of the text in Torment, or some similar freakish amount (forgot) and lots of people still consider it to be one of the best RPGs of all times (some even think it's THE best). It's just inevitable that this creates fans and is IMHO well deserved. Now of course there were a lot more very talented people and writers involved in this project (and they all deserve credit), but especially in an RPG the writing/story/characters is pretty much IT. No one gushes about that RPG with awesome graphics but dull characters and pretty much no story. This is also why I have high hope for games like Wasteland 2, because they did the writing first and started creating the rest only when this part was done. They really seem to set the right priorities.

And somehow saying that you don't like his writing because it's good is just weird. No offense. :p

I didn't say I dislike him because his writing is good. I think his writing is good but usually too depressing for my liking. You see, I think PS:T is fantastic game but I didn't enjoy it (i.e. I see why people like it but not my cup of tea). And like you pointed out, there are other talented people and other games that were better than Obsidian products (I usually favour Bioware game over Obsidian, although it is starting to change…) I just don't see the fuss (the whole "OMG Chris Avellone is involved, it just has to be the next masterpiece!!!").

And somehow saying that you don't like his writing because it's good is just weird. No offense. :p
Actually it's not. There are many good writers that I don't like, but still they are praised and loved by a lot of people. ie Stephen King, J.K. Rowling, Dan Brown, Thomas Harris, etc.

Geez Drithius, that sounds a bit rough. Not having an existential crisis or anything are you? It seems you can't post recently without including some kind of bored sentiment. :)

It is possible not to be excited by what is not exciting, not to be satisfied by what is not satisfying.

Most cheering for this kind of games do not come from the game itself but from things like it is yet another game which has been done one thousand times (more of the same), it was crowdfunded and is not the product of big, bad corporations, it is yet another story even though it is always the same story being told etc

All exterior elements to the game and its gameplay...

Back
Top Bottom