Cyberpunk 2077 - Inherently Political

Well, sounds interesting. I can see needing a game review from one of the many fine, upstanding, always honest and unbiased journalists, to tell us which political position and decisions to take in the game. One will be the path of the supremely virtuous, saintly, faultless Hillary supporter, and the other will be the dark, diabolical, Nazi lovin', deepest evil and satan's spawn of the ever deplorable Trump supporter. :p

I, of course, will choose and be playing the trump supporter's path...(evil laugh)

I, of course, will choose and be playing the trump supporter's path…(evil laugh)
76988-200.png

tumblr_pa5s7yHsm41vfq82eo1_500.png

kwGC0pR.jpg

JbTqRoc.jpg

Cbxa-CjUkAA3vbi.jpg

:biggrin:

Last edited:
Politicization has never been the issue. TW series has been political since the beginning.

There is no escapism, players expect their vision of the world to dominate every corner, to be present everywhere. That is what they desire.

Anytime they feel politicization is not the one they expect, they react angrily.

Cyberpunk 2077, by the looks of its highly diverse population, that does not even fit modern days Poland, is going to be very good.

Every piece of art has a message. And every message is political.

I'd prefer a massage, but alas...

Ok, you're allowed to shoot me for the bad pun.

Well, sounds interesting. I can see needing a game review from one of the many fine, upstanding, always honest and unbiased journalists, to tell us which political position and decisions to take in the game. One will be the path of the supremely virtuous, saintly, faultless Hillary supporter, and the other will be the dark, diabolical, Nazi lovin', deepest evil and satan's spawn of the ever deplorable Trump supporter. :p

I, of course, will choose and be playing the trump supporter's path…(evil laugh)

Plot twist: In reality the Trump path and Hillary path are basically the same. Either way you're doing the bidding of megacorporations.

Plot twist: In reality the Trump path and Hillary path are basically the same. Either way you're doing the bidding of megacorporations.

Not exactly. The Hillary path would be serving corporations in the longer term using smaller steps - while Trump is all about the short term.

The problem with the Trump method is that it will have larger consequences and they will be felt sooner - and it will be especially brutal for the people outside the circle of wealth.

Not exactly. The Hillary path would be serving corporations in the longer term using smaller steps - while Trump is all about the short term.

The problem with the Trump method is that it will have larger consequences and they will be felt sooner - and it will be especially brutal for the people outside the circle of wealth.

Perhaps, but in the Hillary path, the people grow complacent accept their fate as corporate wageslaves (i.e., the proverbial frog in boiling water) , whereas in the Trump path people get angry and rise up against the system.

Don't get me wrong, I supported Hanna Eisig for queen in Eisenwald: Blood of November, but only because Dieter Horn is such a pompous idiot.

Perhaps, but in the Hillary path, the people grow complacent accept their fate as corporate wageslaves, whereas in the Trump path people get angry and rise up against the system.

Don't get me wrong, I supported Hanna for queen in Eisenwald: Blood of November, but only because Dieter Horn is such a pompous idiot.

Are you sure you want to see the result of the people outside the circle of wealth rising up against the people inside of it?

Shhhhh. Let the minions continue their pointless struggle.

Are we still talking about a game? ;)

Yes, this one since the character is told to serve the corporations.

Otherwise, it must be acknowledged that corporations are themselves servants.

And that Hillary or Trump would have served the same master: the US People.

Geralt was not left or right, he was whatever you chose to play him as.

I suppose you could even play him as a radical leftist, and leave the Drowners and other monsters alone to practice their culture. Or clear out the town and villages so the monsters could have their lands back.

I don't think you will find CD PROJECT RED (from Eastern Europe) are as polarized in viewpoint as other studios.

Cyberpunk is not inherently political; its inherently cynical.

Gibson's cyberpunk was more observational than it was pointing out issues (in contrast to say, Jurassic Park or anything Chrichton wrote). He described a society in the near future based on popular ideas of the time and speculated on the future affect of hologram technology and the internet - which 99.999% of people hadn't even heard of at the time of his writing. In doing so, he popularized the internet (which would have happened anyway) and spurred interest in, and created Virtual Reality.

The willful reliance on dehumanizing technology is about as political as he got - but even still, he would have seen the growing phenomenon of computer addiction thanks to home PC's.

The cynicism of his characters is borne out of the punk science fiction that had taken over in the late 70's, from the punk rock movement which adopted its understanding from that seminal book Future Shock - a critique of the hippy movement and the counterculture in general.

By the time the 80's come around, Reaganomics has popularized the corporatization of society without realizing why it wouldn't work and never acknowledging Black Monday and society's sudden turn to government when the inevitable recession happened in later books after this happened.

Real religion, a rarity in science fiction, is interesting in his writing but its mainly used as a tool for the stories and an observation of specific characters . Its also observational on how it changes and adapts with new technology, but not necessarily political.

His treatment of drug use is equally cynical. There's no commentary on it. People simply do it. Just like it doesn't comment on the growing influence of Japan and the power of organized crime.

However, If there's any commentary in it, its on the entertainment industry and the level of cult status of pop icons.

It would be the case if CDProjekt was working on a Neuromancer adaptation. All what you wrote is true only for Gibson's works. Not for the tabletop game Cyberpunk 2020 and the video game adaptation ( Cyberpunk 2077) who were created or supervised by Mike Pondsmith. Mike loves political comments.

Different beast...

Gibson's cyberpunk was more observational than it was pointing out issues (in contrast to say, Jurassic Park or anything Chrichton wrote). He described a society in the near future based on popular ideas of the time and speculated on the future affect of hologram technology and the internet - which 99.999% of people hadn't even heard of at the time of his writing. In doing so, he popularized the internet (which would have happened anyway) and spurred interest in, and created Virtual Reality.

The willful reliance on dehumanizing technology is about as political as he got - but even still, he would have seen the growing phenomenon of computer addiction thanks to home PC's.

The cynicism of his characters is borne out of the punk science fiction that had taken over in the late 70's, from the punk rock movement which adopted its understanding from that seminal book Future Shock - a critique of the hippy movement and the counterculture in general.

By the time the 80's come around, Reaganomics has popularized the corporatization of society without realizing why it wouldn't work and never acknowledging Black Monday and society's sudden turn to government when the inevitable recession happened in later books after this happened.

Real religion, a rarity in science fiction, is interesting in his writing but its mainly used as a tool for the stories and an observation of specific characters . Its also observational on how it changes and adapts with new technology, but not necessarily political.

His treatment of drug use is equally cynical. There's no commentary on it. People simply do it. Just like it doesn't comment on the growing influence of Japan and the power of organized crime.

However, If there's any commentary in it, its on the entertainment industry and the level of cult status of pop icons.

Nothing cynical.

Assuming the normalization of behaviours is making a very strong political statement as it means a definitive change in political paradigms.

Back
Top Bottom