Elex Who should I join?

D

Deleted User

Alright, so I'm close to 50 hours or so deep in the game and still haven't decided on a faction.

First, please don't have any spoilers in your responses. @joxer;, be careful please. :p

Alright, so, I was intent on joining the Berserkers. Magic, magical weapons, arrows that seek out targets. It seemed right up my alley. Their laws are a little 'meh' but I ended up doing everything I could with them and am on the verge of joining them.

But…

Then I met the Outlaws at the Fort. And while they are a ruthless bunch, I love their low-tech weaponry. Grenades especially (I ended up getting a point in the Grenades skill just to sling em better.) And I like the idea of possibly bringing some decency to that place, as well as having freedom from strict laws (but still, gotta be a decent dude here. :p)

One drawback of joining them would be I was also building a Personality/Intelligence character, so ideally I'd be better for magic and not the Constitution-heavy skills the Outlaws offer.

No XP penalty on stims is tempting though. I do like me some Lifeblood. :D

Finally, I just went to Hort and saw the Clerics. Their energy weapons interest me, and PSI seems cool too, but I just don't like their ways. Too cold, too mechanical. So I probably won't join them.

So it's really between the Outlaws and Berserkers for me.

I feel like I have to make a stronger commitment to a real battle style. So far, I started as a Dexterity/Ranged character, and also invested heavily in Intelligence so I could eventually learn magic and a bunch of the Personality skills. I'm thinking I'll keep upgrading the Group skill and I'll be a combat supplement to my companion, not the main damage dealer. And generally use Personality every other which way to my advantage when I can.

My style in battle right now is basically let Duras handle the work while I run around slinging grenades or an occasional Alb spell. But for my supplemental damage I think I need to commit stronger to one style with the faction I join (obviously.)

Oh, and I like crossbows too! So that would be a good bonus for joining the Outlaws as well.

My stats are something like:

Level 11
20 Str
15 Con
30 Dex
50 Int
30 Cun

A sort of jack-of-all-trades a bit so far.

Who should I join? Remember, (my) Jax's life is in your hands! :D

I am not nearly that far along, only level 8 and haven't even been to the Domed city, just a quest that got me near there. But while I was going Berserker all the way and also was focusing on similar traits … the Outlaws have a lot of appeal. The Clerics are also too cold for me. I like the open style of the Outlaws even if I would also want to bring some more decency to them. Scary how similar your post was to my own thoughts - except I do like melee so I focus on that with Duras.

The only thing that bugs me with the Beserkers is the hypocrisy. You exile/kill some poor member for using technology while some warlord then goes and asks you to get them some technology before they will help you. Its more like follow the laws on the surface but you can break them if you don't get caught. Which then makes me feel like an ass if I report someone for doing what their superiors are doing anyhow. I betrayed one guy but decided to not betray another one.

Course I suppose that is what makes for hard decisions.

I won't know about the Outlaws till I get involved with them.

Consequently I have no answer for you :p

Last edited:
I've only visited the Berzerkers, Clerics, and Domed City. All the Outlaws I've met are arseholes, and the Berzerkers and Clerics have ways of thinking I find abhorrent. I hate them all :p

If only I could join the neutrals!

Shorter answer: no idea yet.

I am not nearly that far along, only level 8 and haven't even been to the Domed city, just a quest that got me near there. But while I was going Berserker all the way and also was focusing on similar traits … the Outlaws have a lot of appeal. The Clerics are also too cold for me. I like the open style of the Outlaws even if I would also want to bring some more decency to them. Scary how similar your post was to my own thoughts - except I do like melee so I focus on that with Duras.

The only thing that bugs me with the Beserkers is the hypocrisy. You exile/kill some poor member for using technology while some warlord then goes and asks you to get them some technology before they will help you. Its more like follow the laws on the surface but you can break them if you don't get caught. Which then makes me feel like an ass if I report someone for doing what their superiors are doing anyhow. I betrayed one guy but decided to not betray another one.

Course I suppose that is what makes for hard decisions.

I won't know about the Outlaws till I get involved with them.

Consequently I have answer for you :p

Thanks for nothing... Just kidding! Great post wolfgrim, thanks. :)

But yeah, I agree with your ideas on the Berserkers too. The Warlords themselves are a strange bunch with varying views. Cormag seems decent, I dislike Angrim and Ragnar seems like his mind could be changed in the long run, maybe based on what Jax tells him. Haven't met that Thorald guy yet, so have no clue what his deal is.

Then again, I really like magic. And I have the benefit of being able to join right now, whereas with the Outlaws I'd have to earn their trust.

And strangely enough, the Clerics have this weird sort of slight pull on me. I met them last and the whole time I didn't think I'd ever give them the time of day, but now it's almost an option...almost. Will probably end up joining the Outlaws though. Grenades are just too fun. :)

I've only visited the Berzerkers, Clerics, and Domed City. All the Outlaws I've met are arseholes, and the Berzerkers and Clerics have ways of thinking I find abhorrent. I hate them all :p

If only I could join the neutrals!

Shorter answer: no idea yet.

Lol @ the Neutrals. :D I guess it's not possible to NOT join a faction, is it?

Without spoiling anything, the Outlaws do have some different schools of thought within their gang as well. You'll find that out a bit later when you explore their cities or meet certain groups of them in the wilds. But I also noticed they have a lot of vicious, deceitful quests, and it's harder to play a good character there.

Decisions, decisions.

Clerics are the only choice.

If by neutrals you mean Albs? They are terrible.

You can't (re)join albs.
First, please don't have any spoilers in your responses. @joxer;, be careful please. :p
All three factions are (necessary) evil. All stink - as it should be in postapoc world.
Close your eyes and pick one. You can't fail.
Lol @ the Neutrals. :D I guess it's not possible to NOT join a faction, is it?
You have to pick one among them three, it's a main quest and you can't proceed without making any allies.

Thanks for the info @joxer;. :thumbsup: It's the toughest decision in the game so far, lol.

If by neutrals you mean Albs? They are terrible.
Hell no. :p They hate everyone!
Ideally a faction that would allow use of advanced technology without requiring you to be brainwashed into some strict religion, allow restoration of flora via mana without being totally anti-technology, etc. [spock]The mutual exclusion seems illogical, captain.[/spock]

Perhaps some neutral collective, like what is in the Domed City.

Given that that doesn't exist, I'll probably go with Clerics. Mainly because my son wants me to be a jedi :lol:
Plenty of time before I have to make a decision, though.

Yes, they do.

One thing to also consider is how they end up looking. Remember, armor is limited, so you'll rely on faction armor. Take a look at the faction leaders to get a rough idea of what type of armor you'll be getting.

You can also make a save prior to joining one (I tend to do that, calling it FactionChoice or some such thing), and then check stuff out. Also useful if you feel like playing through it again without doing the start stuff (your basic build can work for any type of character, especially as it's easy to get tons of stats and skills via chemistry).

berserkers are too boring and casual so they were never an option; i wanted the outlaws but after seeing how cool ignadon and hort are, went for clerics :D plus i wanted too see more about calaan and the old world

I ended up with the beserkers because the clerics seemed like mind controlled drones (I have my suspicions!) ....but on my next play through I'll go with the clerics. I want a LAZER *pew*pew* ... The magic flaming fist thing I got from the beserkers is underwhelming. Most monsters seem quite resistant to fire. I think cleric 'magic' may be less diverse, but possibly more directly useful in combat?

berserkers are too boring and casual
I don't think any of factions is boring, but that's just me.

You're probably aware that once you join a faction, you'll be getting faction specific quests in order to get higher faction title which unlocks you a better armor. Since I didn't play through all three, dunno which faction "story" is the least boring.
I want a LAZER *pew*pew*
You can use those you find without joining any specific faction.
And a tip: a certain seemingly impossible cleric quest is easy if you switch looted laser rifle to EMP mode (F on keyboard). ;)

If clerics have psionics I'll join them when I play the game. I won't even have to kill anybody, I'll just get into their minds, turn their brains into custard jelly and show them the power of the Gods.

Erm, I don't think you can't play illithid. :p

Since I've killed dozens of reavers already, I won't go with the Outlaws. I'll probably go Cleric. I much prefer ranged attacks over melee and most of the Beserker stuff is close range. I haven't met the Clerics yet though with any of my 5 or 6 characters. Hopefully, I'll stop starting over soon.

Since I've killed dozens of reavers already, I won't go with the Outlaws. I'll probably go Cleric. I much prefer ranged attacks over melee and most of the Beserker stuff is close range. I haven't met the Clerics yet though with any of my 5 or 6 characters. Hopefully, I'll stop starting over soon.
Lol seems like you're having more fun starting over than playing

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

This is always the case for me. I rarely finish games, but I start them dozens of times...but I've had Ray, Falk, Duras, Caja, Crony at various stages.

Back
Top Bottom