Top 10 CRPGs of all time

I didn't even make it out of the first dungeon in Wizardry 8...

First person turned based combat just isn't for me (there's nothing wrong with tbc, and I don't really object to first person. The mix is horrible though...).

Übereil

First person turned based combat just isn't for me (there's nothing wrong with tbc, and I don't really object to first person. The mix is horrible though...).

In Wizardry it's horrible, yes, but in Might & Magic VI-VII it's awesome *ducks* :biggrin:

Only in M&M VI-VII? I take it you've never played IV&V.

Exactly. I can only speak for the games I have played, of course :) . I could have included VIII and IX but never got very far into them because they sucked (IMHO).

Started playing World of Xeen yesterday(M&M IV+V). Most fans of the series claim that it's the best M&M game. I'm having a lot of fun so far, which I don't often do with a game that's 15 years old.

Cool. I might check that out one day when they really stop making any other good games :) but right now I still got sooo many unfinished games lying around here, it's disgusting :biggrin: . What's making the situation worse is that I can't get myself to play any games at the moment. It's gotten pretty hot around here this past week and I run 8-12 miles about four or five times a week in the evenings and I'm generally feeling very lazy when I'm done with that. I (obviously) have no problem to type crap into my keyboard but game? Nah. Too stressful :biggrin: . Need summer to go away again before the gaming will continue (it will be Might & Magic though, well, sort of... I still need to finish Dark Messiah :) ).

I don't know about that (ToEE's combat was pretty sweet. The 20 minutes I played it...). But turn based when you don't see what your characters is doing is a pain (it's allso a pain when you're doing nothing but walk around, but then it was kind of bearable).

Übereil

Wow, this is a hard one to answer..
1) Dungeon Master - Best atmosphere and best puzzles bar none.
2) Neverwinter Nights - Great Single Player & Best MP experience I've had.
3) Ultima 7 - Complicated beyond anything released these days.
4) Ultima Underworld 1 & 2
5) Arx Fatalis
6) Baldur's Gate 2
7) Planescape Torment
8) System Shock 1 & 2
9) Morrowind & Oblivion
10) Gothic 1,2 & 3.

Honourable mentions to Lands Of Lore 1, Knightmare, KOTOR, and 100s of various console and PC RPGs I will remember as soon as I have posted this!

I will remember as soon as I have posted this!

LOL, yes, this sounds all too familiar ... ;)

Welcome, roo... roo ... rooroosta ? ;)

You know what would be great & very interesting?
If someone made a poll or something like that for the best RPG and it would be something like this...
First it would have 2 categories: DOS & Windows.. And this could be expanded later with something like SNES/NES, Amiga etc etc...
Use mobygames or something to get a complete list of RPGs belonging to a category. Then every registered member of these forums could choose 5 games in each category that he/she likes the most. Each of those 5 games would now get 1 point. No "first choice gets 3 points" or things like that. everyone would just choose 5 games they think are the best from the list.. and each of those games would get 1 point. If you think about your favourite 5 games the differences between how good they are compared to each other is quite marginal at best. And the difficulty for the voters to decide which should come first.. which would be third.. etc.. is wasted time.

After a while we'd have a cool ranking database for the best RPGs in DOS, Windows, Etc... There have been many "Best RPG evah!" votes but comparing a 1980's amiga game to a 2006 Windows game just makes no sense whatsoever..
Another way to go might be to make to categories by year.. like.. 90-95, 96-00, etc... But the idea of categorizing the games by the platform would make way more sense in my opinion. This would also eliminate the distortion in the rankings created by the fact that younger gamers would vote only for those 2000+ windows game cause they haven't even played or heard about ultima's or might & magics.

This would be a interesting / handy / great / fun database in so many ways.
It could even help newcomers to the genre to pick out the best games.
As some of you may know.. I recently started getting into 90's dos games.
A database/rankinglist like these would've been so great.

A thing like this would not be too hard to make I believe? I would do it myself
had I the necessary skills plus I think someone from this site.. a moderator/admin shoud be involved in this.. it should be a feature.. and official feature of rpgwatch.. it would be so great.

I could help by making the list of games for DOS, Windows etc.. I'd use mobygames and those kinda sites and make a list of games for someone who could do this.

Uhh... sorry.. just a thought :D

Last edited:
Yeah but it had all the new games, old games and even mmorpgs in the same list, right? And there seems to be something wrong with the list ATM... right ?
IIRC it had Betrayal at Krondor next to Morrowind next to some free-to-download internet "RPG". Disgusting!

EDIT: Yeah... and MMORPGs would not be included in the list, of course.
They would have their own list.. but.. I won't have nothing to do with that...
(yeah, I hate mmorpgs)

Maybe we should use the forum Games Comments at this site.

Rules:
a) One thread for each game, for example Wizardry 7

b) Each user can comment/rate in 1 post at this game - no discussions.

c) Of cause you can edit your old comment/rating.

Not a real database - but a list of ratings/comments for each crpg.
I think this would be a good thing fo newbies.

Hmmm... yes that might work. BUT: "One thread for each game, for example Wizardry 7" think about it.. what a mess... tons of threads.. tons of posts..

Now think about this... you'd click somewhere on a button "Best RPG Database".
Now, you'd be presented with a choice: "Choose Your destiny.. NO! I mean platform!" there would be "Dos, Windows, Amiga etc.."

Now.. you're an intelligent and refined individual looking for something really satisfying to play. You click on "Dos".

Now you would get a list that would go like this (for example):

#1 Daggerfall (242 votes)
#2 Ultima Underworld 2 (212 votes)
#3 Might & Magic - World of Xeen (198 votes)
#4 Wizardry 6 (180 votes)
etc... etc....

How cool would that be?!

EDIT: Maybe I misunderstood you HiddenX, were you just thinking about how to implement the voting itself?

For the implementation (user interface and back-end support) for a game database you have to ask our Admin/Site Owner Myrthos
Caring for a database needs a lot of time.

The other non-database solution can begin now.

Well if someone provides me a list.. it takes me about 1 minute to set up such a database. I think it'd be great. But the problem at the . was that a lot of people didn't take this voting seriously.... just kept voting like 0 out of 10 for a great game because they want their choice to be on top etc etc. Maybe forum members with more than 10 posts or some such only to vote? would be really nice to see which one we'd rule out to be the best!

Well if someone provides me a list.. it takes me about 1 minute to set up such a database. I think it'd be great. But the problem at the . was that a lot of people didn't take this voting seriously.... just kept voting like 0 out of 10 for a great game because they want their choice to be on top etc etc. Maybe forum members with more than 10 posts or some such only to vote? would be really nice to see which one we'd rule out to be the best!

Exactly. This kind of thing would also be eliminated if we do it like I said in a previous post. Every forum member just chooses from a list of games 5 that he /she likes the most. No rating. No orders or anything. Just choose the 5 you like the most and those 5 games all get 1 point. And everyone would be allowed to do this only once.

Only thing that could distort the results is that if people start registering several accounts to vote.. But I dont think that in this case that would be a serious issue,
although this also could be eliminated by doing as you say.. not allowing junior members (less than 30 posts ?) to vote.

And not only would it be interesting to see the #1... or the top three.. but to see the entire list of known rpgs ranked and listed in such a manner.

Would be so great. I bet many people who have not tried some of those great games (like me ) that would make top10 for example would give those games a shot.

Back
Top Bottom