Top 10 CRPGs of all time

Hmmm... According to mobygames (which is a pretty good/reliable source IMO):
Game Browser : DOS > Role-Playing (RPG) (443)

443 Roleplaying games for dos. That's including expansions, shovelware.. etc...
Not a big number.

I'll try and create a list of DOS RPGs tonight. The list will include:
Nameofthegame - year of release - publisher. OK ?

The list of windows RPGs is much larger. But i'll make a list of them too
if someone will make them into a working database.

Even if this database thing is not happening, this list might be usefull for some
other purpose. It's a nice list to have anyway I think.

And even if mobygames is lacking two or three obscure games, those games would very likely be something that would not be making it to top10 anyway.... And it's not like we're doing something serious.. Well.. it is serious.. in a way :D ... but you know what I mean :D

ADDED: If there's anything else I could do to help this thing really happen.. let me know.

I've written a simple graphical RPG using C++ and the Simple Direct Media library.
I've written a commandline program in Java that converts roman numerals to arabic numbers.
I've written a pretty complex TODO-manager program in C.
I also wrote a simple command-line RPG in C.
I've written software for simple embedded systems in C.

But I have never done anything with websites, html, databases, SQL or anykind of internet s***t :D

Last edited:
I could produce a small dbase III or IV database with a program called "orgAnice".

I could also produce an SQL database, but I haven't done thios for quite a long time, so this might take a bit time. I have the MSDE Mini-Microsoft-SQL-Server installed on my machine.

I could produce a small dbase III or IV database with a program called "orgAnice".

I could also produce an SQL database, but I haven't done thios for quite a long time, so this might take a bit time. I have the MSDE Mini-Microsoft-SQL-Server installed on my machine.

Yes, brothers and sisters, to arms! TO ARMS!
This will not only benefit this community..
But the ENTIRE human race!!!11

EDIT: I'm almost finished with the list.

I'm done with the list. It contains 375 dos games.
It's a nice table with a row for each game and three colums.
It looks something like this.

|Game1 | 19xx | Somesoftwarecompany1 |
|Game2 | 19xx | Somesoftwarecompany2 |

Well.. you get the picture. It's in HTML at the moment.
I can also convert it to plain text... pdf... doc.. openoffice format.. just name it.
I haven't got anywhere to post/put it though :D

I did my best removing all redundancy.. like "Trilogy" releases and shovelware collections etc...

I'll go through the list once again right now.

EDIT: Removed some more shovelware releases.
And in case someone is wondering what count's as an RPG..
well I simply used every game that mobygames claims was released for
DOS and has RPG elements enough that it is listed there as an RPG.
I am sure this will suffice. If anything there might be two or three games there
that are not actually RPGs for most of us.. but again.. not a major crime. not something that would matter in the long run for the purposes of this list.

EDIT2: Removed more sholveware. The list has now 359 DOS RPGS.
I'm finished with the list now. I'll save it on my hard-drive as openofficedocument and html and rtf.

EDIT3: Removed a few addons/expansionpacks I missed earlier.

Last edited:
Hey, maybe someone could make a post about this in
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » RPGWatch » RPGWatch Updates, Bug reports and Feature requests ??

I don't feel comfortable doing it since I'm so new here.
Afterall, it IS a request for a new feature, isn't it ?

For other entries add a 4th column: platform/OS
In your list everything is PC DOS, but there are many good old crpgs on other platforms as well: C64, Amiga, Atari, PC WIN 3.11, SNES ...

... and yes - we should stop hijacking this thread, but feel free to ask - the mods are nice persons - most of the time :)

Of course there are. But my suggestion was that we have separate polls/databases/votings for games belonging to each platform. Check a few posts back I explained and gave reasons for this,

And we have to start with something. One at a time. So I thought I'd start with dos.
So I made a list of all the RPGs released for dos, for the DOS category.

Feel free to post suggestions in the Watch forum. Myrthos will consider any and all suggestions, but he already has a LONG list of features he wants to implement and time is his most precious resource!!

I've thought of a way we could make this happen quite easily without bothering Myrthos. I'd like a blessing from a moderator (that would be you Corwin, right?)
and I would also need someone to host the HTML file (150kB).

We could do it like this (and it could really work.. and be great):
I'd start two threads. "Best DOS RPG Vote" and "Best DOS RPG Vote - Discussion"

The first thread would contain the url to the DOS RPG list I made and some info and instructions on how to vote. This thread would contain NO comments or discussion - only the first post and then the votes themselves. Every forum member would just open up the RPG list from the URL.. choose his/her favourite 5 RPGS and then post them exactly as they appear on the list. We'd let this go on for a month or two and then I would collect and compile the results (which would be easy if everyone would follow the rules) and we'd have a the Top Dos RPGs list ready!

The other thread would just simply contain discussions, comments, arguments etc regarding the vote... This would be fun and this would also prevent the voting thread itself from becoming a mess. This thread would not affect the voting itself in any way.. it would just be.. well.. discussion and fun :D

So what do you think? I think this would be easy, fun, interesting, it would not harm anyone and we could actually do it. This would be a good method also because people could go back and edit their votings as long as they do it before the voting is "Closed" and the list is compiled. But again.. we would need someone to host the html file... and I would like the blessings from the powers that be before I go starting two threads about this.... What do you think?

EDIT: Also, if this thing goes well and everyone (or most of us) like it.. We could also do a Windows RPG vote.. Best Console RPG vote etc...

How/Where/When the results would be posted/made public.. I don't know.. perhaps just a forum post and a news bit on the watch with a link to this post? SHouldn't be too hard.

I noticed these forums are full of posts asking for game recommendations, opinions, if something's good etc.. The results from votes like this would be very usefull.

I have the list ready to go....

Last edited:
Sounds fun. I could host the file if nobody else volunteered :).

That's just because you have no idea what *this* guy does in his free time.

Could you PM me or something and give your email address so I could send you the HTML file?

Try the following mail addy: jaz at rpgwatch dot com.

Hi everyone. After reading these forums and the site for a long time, I decided to register and join this wonderful community.:biggrin:

Now for something ontopic. My favorites are:
01.Gothic 1: I love this game a lot, I love everything about it. From the great atmosphere to the great real-world simulation, to the fun and addicting gameplay. Even though the graphics are a bit out-dated, I've seen some really beautiful scenery in G1.

02.Icewind Dale. A masterpiece, imo. The minute I entered the game I was struck by how beautiful the music was. The theme songs from Kuldahar and Easthaven are still among my favorites. The next thing I liked was the graphics and overall atmosphere of a secluded area of the world. The Infinity Engine has done wonders imo. It's even better than most 3D engines imo.

03.Gothic 2(NOTR). Not much else to say about this one. It's a more complex version of the first one, but I liked the first one much more. I think it's because the first one had a more prehistoric and archaic feel to it. The second one was more of a standard fantasy game. And I hated that you were told that you were the hero from the beginning, whereas in G1 it took a long time before I felt that.
When NOTR was released it amplified the Gothic experience a lot, but still not enough to be better than G1, imho.

04.Evil Islands. This is a jewel that went under the radar. The gameplay was really nice and innovative. At least for me it was. I enjoyed the story and the spoken dialogs. I loved the crafting system. It's a real shame this didn't turn into a series. Nival is indeed one of my favorite devs.

05.Severance - Blade of Darkness. This is one game that spooked me out. The first fights were really scary, and when I first met that frenzied orc I froze and he butchered me. But the I got used to it and loved every minute of it. I walked almost every path with my heart pumping, wondering what other monstrosity would come along. BOD also had the best fighting system, similar to Gothic's and I'm hoping Elveon will also be similar. The music in BOD was also very nice.

06.Diablo 2 + LOD. Yeah, I know it's a hack&slash rpg, but I don't care. I loved every minute of it. I loved the cinematics which were awesome. Thumbs up to Blizzard for all their cinematics. I loved the non-stop action, especially in Hell. And I loved the fights with Duriel, Mephisto, Diablo and Bhaal. Another strongpoint of D2 was it's replayability. I do believed D2 is my longest gaming experience with a game.

07.StarWars: KOTOR 1. I'm not really a fan of SW, but I really enjoyed this one. It was beautiful, the combat was really nice and I just love the plot twist towards th end. One of the best imo.

08.Anachronox. This game isn't anything special graphics-wise or even gameplay-wise. But the story, dialogs and setting were brilliant, funny and smart.

09.Divine Divinity. This one was a bit similar to Diablo 2 when it came to gameplay, but it was also different. I particularly enjoyed the funny remarks. "This is the dwarven village of .... No beard jokes!" :lol:

10.Morrowind. Great freedom, great world-design, interesting story, but it lacked in other places. Especially the combat system which was really boring, imo.

Other rpgs that will probably make the list: Dragon Age(when it will be released), Icewind Dale 2(I haven't had time to play it), Baldur's Gate 1&2(planning to try these as soon as I have time), Planescape Torment(I heard a lot about this one).

1) Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 (in succession, preferably with same character)

2) Fallout 1 & 2

3) Planescape:Torment

4) Icewind Dale 1 & 2

5) Neverwinter Nights Module : Runes Of Blood

6) Neverwinter Nights Modules : Tortured Hearts 1 & 2

7) Darklands

8) Realms Of Arkania

9) Betrayal At Krondor

10) Divine Divinity

06.Diablo 2 + LOD. Yeah, I know it's a hack&slash rpg

Grumble Diablo 2 isn't an RPG grumble grumble :brood:...

Not that it's not fun (I enjoyed it. For a while...), it's just that the things it has in common with "real" RPG's isn't the things that makes RPG's RPG's (hmm, I've said that before... oh well). D2 keeps roleplaying to zero and story to a minimum, and combat, looting and characterdevelopment isn't enought to make a game an RPG. Heck, Max Payne is more of an RPG than D2 (now there's a game I enjoyed...)!

Übereil

Grumble Diablo 2 isn't an RPG grumble grumble :brood:...

Not that it's not fun (I enjoyed it. For a while...), it's just that the things it has in common with "real" RPG's isn't the things that makes RPG's RPG's (hmm, I've said that before... oh well). D2 keeps roleplaying to zero and story to a minimum, and combat, looting and characterdevelopment isn't enought to make a game an RPG. Heck, Max Payne is more of an RPG than D2 (now there's a game I enjoyed...)!

Übereil

Imo the definition of crpg is very broad, and it encompasses a lot of sub-genres . There is the classic definition, taken from pnp role-playing games. Ad&d games are included here. These have complex storylines, are usually non-linear, offer character interaction, etc. Then there is the hack&slash genre, spawned by Diablo(to my knowledge). These are linear, do not offer complex character interaction, but they do have the character development. Of course this is all my opinion. Which you are free to disagree with.

And I do disagree :). It's called ROLEPLAYING game for a reason ;). I don't really mind you likeing D2, just as little as I mind pepole likeing FPSes. What I DO mind is that pepole think that roleplaying games are games where you run around and kill monsters in order to gain levels and find cool items since that has nothing to do with roleplaying.

Übereil

Back
Top Bottom