Lords of Xulima - Food and Resting

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Lords of Xulima developers Numantian games have published a new post on their site about food and resting in RPGs, how it has been handled in games and how they plan to handle it.
Traditionally, characters in RPGs are healed by resting for a period of time, through the use of potions, spells or by requesting help at a temple or from priests or clerics. In many RPGs, like Wizardry or Baldur’s Gate, the only drawback to resting was that there was a possibility of being ambushed by enemies, but it was a matter of chance, so you could always just save your game and load it in case your rest was interrupted, so in practice, rest and recuperation were practically worry free.
We were inspired by Might & Magic VI and have adopted a similar mechanism. We have taken the idea a step further in order to adapt it to our game system. In Lords of Xulima, the fundamental component is Food Stocks. The food level is always displayed on the screen and lets you know how much time (in days, minutes and hours) of rest you can take before you run out of your food stocks.
How can your food stocks be used?

• Resting:
    To recuperate all of your hit points and powers and to cure minor wounds, your party will need to rest for 8 hours. To cure the fatally wounded condition, they must rest for 24 hours. This will consume your food stocks if you rest in the wilderness, but not if you rest at an inn.
  • Traveling:
    While your characters are traveling, time is passing and food stocks are being consumed. The rate at which they are consumed is affected by the type of terrain being traversed. For example, traveling through desert or snow consumes 5 times as much food as traveling over a grassy plain. An Explorer with the ability “Pathfinder” can reduce the rate of food consumed during travel. The more developed the ability the lower the rate will be. The exception to the traveling rule is that when your party is in a village or town no food will be consumed as they move.
  • By certain actions:
    For example, breaking a lock when you are out of picks takes time during which you consume food. The amount of time depends on the difficulty of the lock. Another example would be breaking through a barrier of ice, which could go a lot faster if only you had the right spell to melt the barrier instead.
  • Other methods of consumption:
    Some enemies, places and special situations can also cause you to use or lose food stocks.
More information.

Some really good ideas. Food & rest have always been handled mundanely in RPGs, without much thought put into them. It's good to see they are going back to basics and rethinking all that to make it an interesting mechanism that has some relevance to the challenge of the game.

I love food and hunting mechanics, no matter how simplistically they may be implemented.

As long as my inventory will be like in Gothic games, I don't really care.

Well, I am not sure if really *all* old school mechanics need to return.

You must gather your party before venturing forth…
….

At the moment, food stocks look like they are competing means to healing and sustaining oneself.

I wonder in which direction it is going to tip. Food consumption can be inflated through healing as you go through combat and your party consumes food each time you rest. Or distance between locations could be enough for food to be consumed only to sustain the party's members. In that case, hunting, harvesting turn relevant activities that were not added to superficially meet inflated design goals.

At the moment, food stocks look like they are competing means to healing and sustaining oneself.

I wonder in which direction it is going to tip. Food consumption can be inflated through healing as you go through combat and your party consumes food each time you rest. Or distance between locations could be enough for food to be consumed only to sustain the party's members. In that case, hunting, harvesting turn relevant activities that were not added to superficially meet inflated design goals.

I notice (from the death penalty blog) that there is a separate "wounded" state that will affect a character's stats even if they are healed back to full health with respect to hit points. Curing that wounded state will then require rest and consume food. They also say that a "grand cleric" in your party can cure wounds, no doubt though that will be an expensive spell that will also require resting before it can be reused.

Back
Top Bottom