Stardew Valley - review @ Destructoid

It's fun for what it is, but I'm starting to feel that it's getting a little more attention than it deserves.

I've only just reached summer in my first year, and I'm already starting to get bored. The farming and crafting are fairly mundane, and there doesn't seem to be much of a point to the game other than to acquire that next shiny piece of loot.

Exploring the mine has been the funnest part for me, but even that is starting to get old now. The combat it too rudimentary to stay entertaining for long.

Now you tell me! After I have bought the game two days ago... Grrrr.
O well, my tasks demand all my attention atm, I now suppose: lucky me! ;)

I'm already starting to get bored.
I also got bored with mines that early and returned only when I fished out broken trident (OP dagger 15-26).

Do something else for a while. Gift eggs to people, get them on 2-4 hearts.
(note - the wizard and sebastian and whatever's the name of purple hair girl don't like eggs so don't give those to them).

Or try to beat minigames on arcades in the saloon (I just can't, lol).

Hey, does anyone have a simple formula for how much grass you need to be sustainable long-term for each animal?

I know cows eat a full square of grass a day, but I don't know how many days it takes a square to spread, or how much other animals eat.

I haven't a single clue.
All I do is removing all rocks and branches from the farm and grass spreads automatically.

Animals I have are:
- 3 white chicken
- 1 brown chicken
- 2 ducks
- 3 rabbits
- 1 void chicken
- 1 lizzard
- 1 cow
- 1 goat
- 1 pig

And they can't never eat every of it nor I plan to add any more animals. Don't see a point of getting a sheep since rabbits drop wool.

Oh and my "crops" are grown in a small area, between the house and the smallpond. I'd say 15x15 square. Maybe 20x20, but not bigger than that.
Or better to say were grown. I'm now greenhouse only.

Hey, does anyone have a simple formula for how much grass you need to be sustainable long-term for each animal?

I know cows eat a full square of grass a day, but I don't know how many days it takes a square to spread, or how much other animals eat.

Sustainable? Nothing in the sort in this product. The object here is to grind to grind even more.

Everything that can be destroyed must be destroyed, that means in the end clearing all the farm land.

The work load is capped by what can be achieved in a day from 6 to 2. It depends on the routine.
Once the routine is set, the rest of the barren land is to be covered in grass.
And cut down on the last day in fall to fill in the silos.

Besides, from patch to patch, the grass spawning rate is tweaked.

The product is not about managing a farm the way the player wants, it is about maxing out everything that can be maxed out.

I really don't think you even tried the game.

1. Most things in the game are buyable. I've posted you how to make billions. It takes you just once per ingame week to gather 100 fruit, put them into kegs and 100 wine from kegs sell. Eventually you'll have so much cash to buy out everything you'll stop bothering with doing this completely. BEFORE MAXING as everything to buy is less than $ cap.

2. The work load is capped not with hours but with your energy and speed. Certain item boosts your energy permanently, items boost your speed, upgrading tools lower your energy consumption. Eventually you won't even care because with so much $ to spend you'll buy thousands of "cheap" salad from the saloon.

3. Low on minerals and gems? Luckily you have so much cash you'll never spend it all. So you'll drive to desert every wednesday, buy hundreds of omnigeodes that can drop any mineral or ore including rare iridium. Sure, you can go grind for all of it in mines, but that's just you. Not me.

4. In second and next years clearing all the farm land happens the first day of the year when rocks and branches spawn. Once you do that in a matter of minutes basically, it's all gone for the whole year and doesn't respawn. You're not doing that because rocks/wood which you're buying. You're doing that because you want grass which grows by itself. After 2-3 years of doing this, you'll sell all animals and barns and stop caring. Because…

5. You'll get two items. Statue of perfection which is a reward for certain actions and statue of endless fortune which you buy for a pocketchange: a million only. Each gives items automatically. Daily.
http://stardewvalleywiki.com/Statue_of_Endless_Fortune

There is only one thing in this game that needs constant grind. Didn't know it before a few days ago when I noticed hearts drop - it's relationship with NPCs. It decays over time and as such is incompatible with the rest of the game where eventually there is no point to do farming, mining, fishing, foraging nor minecrawling any more unless you find that fun to do.
But let's leave that aside, developer talks with the community so I'll write him about this and why it sucks.

The product is not about managing a farm. You're not forced to do any farm at any point at all. If you hate farm you can get everything only by fishing. If you hate that too, you can go dungeons. If you hate everything, well, I don't see why you bought the game in the first place.
It's not about grind more either, it's grind less (except relationships). It's not my nor anyone else's problem you can't devise a strategy on how to eventually stop with grinding.
This is Sims where you do what you want when you want and if you want. It's not facebook cowclicker where you just must.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom