Underworld - On GamersGate

Um, I played a little bit here...and not to nitpick too much but I recognize some of the graphics as characters from other copywrited work...like I swear I saw the gnome as the one from harry potter. Am I imagining things here?

Those would be stock art with non-exclusive license (duly paid for, always). So technically you could find them used anywhere. But Harry Potter? I doubt it.

Here's something that bothers me about the graphics debate. There is a difference between bad graphics and bad art style.

I don't expect high-tech graphics, but you can make something that's at least pleasant to look at, even with low tech. If I am going to spend many hours playing something, I don't want to hate looking at it. I can handle low res graphics that have some style; I might even like them, but take horrible art style and blow it up into HD... and its still horrible.

Calling Underworld's style horrible might be a bit too harsh, but it certainly is ugly. It looks as though "Poser" characters were used, which is a dead giveaway that someone who cares nothing about art was in charge of the art. The "hodge-podge" of styles that others mentioned is also very visible.

My complaints about the style should not be very insulting, because frankly, I doubt much thought was put into it anyway. If it is made by a 1-man team, then I guess its understandable since he's probably a programmer and not an artist. But I'd even rather see poorly drawn sketches than generic Poser models. I don't want to discourage the creator, or anyone else looking to make old-school games, but encourage them to at least put a little effort into how the game looks regardless of whether the graphics are "fancy" or not.

All that being said, I will probably still buy the game, because I really love the old Wizardry style of game and support them any chance I get.

In all fairness criticism isn't only targeted at the graphics. I've heard the consistency issue before but… I don't see it. That must come from not being a graphics designer. Next time I'll hand draw everything and it'll be consistently awful :)

This actually might be a good way to go ;)

Or even removing graphic completely , and making it text based. Although that might be little bit too hardcore.

Best would be to pair up with a good graphic designer, and keep consistency ;)

Otherwise, i love the game.
Just booted up the demo again :)

@Raldor - No worries, I'm not insulted. 1-man team it is & I don't argue that the overall aspect is still weak (ashamed to say that earlier versions were worse!).

@Twotricks - I'm still considering that option but a designer willing to work on such a project & stick with it to the end & be paid on a split the profits basis (if any)... Hard to come by. The other option is to just become a better artist, which I've been working on, and ban stock art on the next project.

Just wanted to pipe in and say I didn't like the game at first, but Charles-cgr kept working on it and improving it and now I can totally see it being worth 20 dollars. It really is a fun game, but you just have to give it a chance. Sorta like rogues. I wouldn't touch those with a ten foot pole for a very long time because of the ASCII graphics, but once I decided to try out ADOM I was hooked forever and couldn't believe how stupid I was for not trying it out sooner.

I bought it from Charles a while ago, and really don't think arguing whether it's 'worth' $20 is worthwhile, whatever the state of the graphics or gameplay. It's got a demo and obviously people can make up there own minds what it's worth to them.

To me, the important thing is that hardly anyone is making these type of games commercially, and at least half of the $20 I paid was to encourage Charles and like-minded others to continue their efforts on the indy scene. (I also bought Devil Whiskey back in the day too; and, in a different vein but for the same reason, Knights of the Chalice; and Winter Voices … I could go on.)

Sure, I think there's a lot Charles can do to improve the interface and graphics even as a one-man show, but in the meantime I'm delighted for him that Gamersgate took the game. The greater the presence of indy developers of all genres in online stores such as GG, Impulse, and Steam, can only benefit the PC games scene, especially when the example of Bioware demonstrates what happens when the suits and bean counters start running the show.

I don't want to go all Codex here, but if the big guys are screwing CRPGers every which way in search of audience then we owe it to ourselves as well as to those plucky few devs coding away in their basements (or wherever) to pay a suitable premium for their efforts in order to see greater efforts and greater rewards in the future.

@Raldor - No worries, I'm not insulted. 1-man team it is & I don't argue that the overall aspect is still weak (ashamed to say that earlier versions were worse!).

@Twotricks - I'm still considering that option but a designer willing to work on such a project & stick with it to the end & be paid on a split the profits basis (if any)… Hard to come by. The other option is to just become a better artist, which I've been working on, and ban stock art on the next project.

I love if I could help you with that ...
But right now i am involved in doing 2 roguelikes and one RPG not too dissimilar to Underworld. So it would be just too much :S

Last edited:
Too old school for my tastes but I wish him all the best. I started RPGing with Fallout and Baldur's Gate, so indie games like Avernum and Eschalon are about as old looking as I can go.

Just wanted to pipe in and say I didn't like the game at first, but Charles-cgr kept working on it and improving it and now I can totally see it being worth 20 dollars. It really is a fun game, but you just have to give it a chance. Sorta like rogues. I wouldn't touch those with a ten foot pole for a very long time because of the ASCII graphics, but once I decided to try out ADOM I was hooked forever and couldn't believe how stupid I was for not trying it out sooner.
ADOM had this drug effect on me. Couldn't stop playing once I started, at least until I died.

Anyway I'm definitely looking forward to purchasing this on GG. I tried the demo and rather enjoyed it, even if I have to agree with the rest of the comments that the game is ugly. Thanks again for bringing the game to Gamersgate, Charles! :)

I'm kinda glad for the dissenting views too. Underworld is not worth $20 to me, but I still don't regret making the purchase. I've wasted $20 on a lot worse things. As I said, Charles is a good guy, and I wish him well. I'll download the UW2 demo, if he makes it that far, and hope that the next game is an improvement.

I should also point out that I completed Underworld before the improvements, so people buying it now will have a slightly different experience than I had. I will say that I think a graphically simple game needs more content than what UW provided. I'd like to see the amount of stuff to do grow by at least 50%.

Finally, I'll pimp a game that does what I feel Charles-cgr should aspire to match. It's called Yendorian Tales, especially chapters 2 and 3. I'd love to see these made available on GG. I wonder if Rodney Smith is still around....

Finally, I'll pimp a game that does what I feel Charles-cgr should aspire to match. It's called Yendorian Tales, especially chapters 2 and 3. I'd love to see these made available on GG. I wonder if Rodney Smith is still around….

I actually did look that up. Their website was swgames.com, but it's gone. I found a bunch of screenshots & realized I had briefly played it before without getting far (those spiders in towns - I've seen them before). I think it was mainly because moving from one square to the next was pretty slow. Maybe I just had a bad PC back then…

There's a demo on PCworld, but it didn't launch. According to the bundled readme it was built for win95. If anyone has an old PC lying around…

Thanks for the wishes & encouragements. I'll do my best to take the next one to a higher level!

Edit - http://spectrumpacific.com.au/ is listed as the author on softpile. It's still around but seems to have moved on to other things.

Last edited:
I just want to point out that I think it's great to see games like Underworld on GamersGate. It's a whole lot easier for people to find/buy games when they're actually available from major digital game stores instead of having to track down the developer and buy from his website.

Back
Top Bottom