Shenmue 3 - Update on PC Version

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new update for Shenmue 3 addresses the refund question and promises Steam keys at a later date for those that want them.

Update On PC Version Rewards

Hello Everyone,

Regarding the recently announced Epic Games Store exclusive, all of us here at YSNET, Deep Silver and Epic are taking the matter with utmost concern and would like to clarify the circumstances leading to the decision and offer backers options for moving forward.

As noted in the updates and survey at launch, we had originally planned for PC distribution through Steam. Taking publishing and sales considerations into account, YSNET and Deep Silver agreed to our partnership with Epic Games Store on PC version distribution. As a publishing partner, Deep Silver has greatly contributed not only to sales and marketing, but to scaling up the game so there is more Shenmue III to begin with. Also, Epic Games has been with us from the start of the project when we adopted Unreal Engine 4 for development, and have given us their support throughout the development process.

In response to backers who have requested Steam keys for their rewards, we discussed offering the keys on the day of release. However, coordination with the sales policies of the involved companies was untenable, and as a result we are not able to make a day one distribution option for Steam keys available.

That we are not able to offer Steam keys for Kickstarter rewards at the time of the game's release is a great disappointed and inconvenience for those backers who were expecting to receive them. We deeply apologize for the unrest caused by the announcement.

Response Policy

The team would like to offer the following:

Version Availability

a. PC Physical: Package (Disc) + EGS Key

b. PC Digital: EGS Key

c. PS4 Physical: Package (Disc)

d. PS4 Digital: PSN Voucher Code

*If selecting either the PC Physical or PC Digital version, an option to also receive a Steam key one year later will be available. Backers must manually select this option in the survey to receive the Steam key.

**If you had previously selected PC and want to change to PS4 or vice versa, you may do so.

Survey Implementation

We are currently working on the necessary changes to the backer survey system. We ask for your patience as there will be a short wait while the preparations are made. Once the survey changes have been implemented, there will be an announcement here in the updates with details and notice of the survey response period. (Changes to your shipping address may still be made through the backer survey up until shipping begins.)

Concerning Refunds

Along with Deep Silver and Epic Games, we have agreed that should the above proposal not be acceptable to backers, refund requests will be honored.

Details concerning the refund request process will be announced in a following update. We ask for your patience until that time.

*In the case rewards within your reward tier, such as in-game content, have already been created and implemented, a full refund may not be possible.

[...]
More information.

Oh, great! I only have to wait 1 FULL YEAR after release for a STEAM KEY to the game I Kickstarted... at which time it'll be selling for 10 bucks. I enjoyed the originals and was looking forward to this one, but I'm seriously considering a refund request.
:thumbsdown:

I won't wait but will play the epic version. :)

There was never a more overrated franchise than this one. I never understood what's good about a game with mediocre storytelling based around quick-time events. Even games like Heavy Rain or Detroit: Become Human are leaps and bounds ahead in writting quality. My guess is that it's because they're meant for the western market, unlike Shenmue, but in any case I'm not even sure how this game qualifies as a "RPG".

Eh?
I've backed Shenmue 3 for a sole reason - it comes to PC. When something comes to PC by default, it's hard to imagine a serious developer cutting corners just because stupid inferior hardware can't do something so it has to go or has to be dumbed down.

I've seen articles and videos about previous two games and by no means anyone was pleased with everything. Those two games contained boring chores and design crimes. One of those is timecycle. Yes I'm saying timecycle in videogames is overrated bullshit.
The first game had time restricted quests but you couldn't move that bloody time, instead you should have left the game running and go for a coffee, beer, night stand, etc before returning home so you can finally get the quest. Dunno if the second changed that travesty.

Shenmue is important for something else. It made Yakuza franchise possible.
I didn't get an impression everyone and their mother loves Shenmue 1 and 2. Means, I don't agree those two games are overrated. Noone rated 'em 10/10 (hopefully). :)

Now for Heavy Rain I saw similar articles as for old Shenmues. Noone was totally pleased. Means? No buy for me. ;)
For Detroit however I saw enough of praise thus I'm buying that one the very day it appears on PC.

If it means anything to you, while I'm Shenmue3 backer, there is no way I'm ever gonna buy it's predecessors. Mushroomscentered atrocities have no place on my PC.

I remember around.. 20 years ago? I'm not gonna look up on the wiki to pretend I know exactly when Shenmue 1 was released. Well, a friend invited me over to his home to check this awesome Shenmue game he got for his Dreamcast. It was two hours of utter snoozefest that no human being could deal with. The whole game wqas about going down a road taking arbitrary directions to end up at places where you met people and did quick time events, sometimes fighting, sometimes for no reason at all. Even the road directions were quick time events. And still he seemed to have fun. And it's not that I loved buttonmash games. Around that time I was enthralled with an obscure game I had just discovered called Planescape: Torment.

I never owned a Dreamcast, and I never visited that friend's home again. Honesty, I don't know if Shenmue 3 will be so much better, but I always get wary about these old glories wanting to cashgrab at their moderate past success. Same reason for I'm extremelly wary of Phoenix Point and Outer Worlds (though I'll say Outer Worlds is shaping to be the game that finally forces me to install EGS).

We'll see I guess, as always, tastes are personal and there's no right or wrong, if you like something you like it. I do take issue with being bad games get more credit than they deserve, and that has a very selfish explanation. Those games rob part of the pie from other more deserving games and studios, and in turn reduce their income and may prevent them from developing better games that are good on their own merit, rather than fed by nostalgia or rosy retrospection.

Yeah, I'm not going to use Epic, so I'll likely look into getting a refund myself. And as for now, I believe I'll put a full stop on any future computing kick starter projects, I don't like this trend of forcing you to use a particular platform, and avoiding them all will solve that problem immediately. I'll continue to support the other art forms that I've also sponsored in the past.

I can understand why this practice (Epic exclusivity) might turn off some people who backed these games. Very bad decisions made by developers to do this, in my humble opinion. It is like spitting in the face of your fan base.

I would certainly never back a developer again that falsely advertised a steam release and then went to Epic, and the steam release either was delayed or never materialized.

That said, I still think kickstarter is an innovative thing and good for the game industry so I still consider backing games on kickstarter platforms. I guess I am lucky in that I have only had good experiences doing so, but I'm pretty selective and picky in choosing what games to back.

… but in any case I'm not even sure how this game qualifies as a "RPG".

Not sure who ever called Shenmue an RPG; it was a 3D open-world adventure/brawler game with minigames and collectibles. It was slow, and definitely not for everyone. I would describe it to younger gamers as a leisurely-paced Asian GTA without the cars, guns, music, cursing, humor, or hookers… You know, something for your grandparents to play. :p

I can say that the Epic BS with exclusively of KS backed games has made me absolutely vow to never use this service. I got burned with Phoenix Point and if that was the only developer then all my ire would be directed there but this has become a reacuring issue across a number of games so Epic can take the blame.
As I have said elsewhere I prefer to own my games so if a game makes it to GOG then I will pick it up.
With Kickstarter well this bait and switch crap pretty much has screwed it for the rest of them for me now.

Well I bought my first Epic game (Operencia: The Stolen Sun) because I essentially bought for -16 Euros (I got a 10 Euro first game discount on top of the summer discount) and while I won't go out of my way to use their platform (I also have games on Origin and Uplay, but never browse their storefronts) I would be willing to get something else there I really wanted.
Its obvious they're targeting Kickstarter games, since the developers never ask for all the money they actually need to develop a game. I fear this, along with the purchase of the traditionally succesful crowdfunding studios like InXile, Hairbrained Schemes, and Obsidian will mark the end of crowdfunding for mid-sized projects. Small indies I think can still use Kickstarter as a jumpstarter, since its usually about one of two people who are often willing to work long months without a salary. But I can see the bad will generated by recent kickstarter projects putting people off of bigger projects.
Personally I am much more hesitant to crowdfund and always ask myself: Is this a game that I absolutely want to see made? Is the minimum funding asked for the price I'd pay for the game? Would I be able to accept it without too much grief if the project fails and I lose my money? Usually a no to any of these questions means a no for crowdfunding for me.

Requirements revealed:
https://www.vg247.com/2019/07/04/shenmue-3-pc-minimum-and-recommended-specs/

Shenmue 3 PC minimum specs
OS: Windows 7 x64, Windows 8 x64, Windows 10 x64 (64-bit OS Required)
CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 (3.40 GHz) or better; Quad-core or better
RAM: 4GB RAM
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti or better (DirectX 11 card & VRAM 2GB Required)
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband internet connection
Storage: 100 GB available space
Sound card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

Shenmue 3 PC recommended specs
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 (3.60 GHz)
RAM: 16GB RAM
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband internet connection
Storage: 100 GB available space
Sound card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
i7 and 16Gb of RAM recommended… ROTFL

Wuuut...how?
Must be for rendering those high fidelity faces.

A sort of an update… It's pushed back for a day (at least for me) and epic store now says "20‎/‎nov‎/‎2019".

Some gaming sites started to write a review in progress but so far all are playstation reviews.

A note for all KS backers, find final shenmue survey in your mailbox then go to the survey link, the Epic Store key is in there.

Sorry, didn't know before about this, just redeemed the key and it's installing. Probably won't play it before the weekend because I'm still plodding through RDR2.

Back
Top Bottom