Pets,grrrrrrr - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Pets,grrrrrrr

Default Pets,grrrrrrr

January 4th, 2020, 22:50
We had to put down our last st bernard Feb 2019.

We said no more dogs this time.

Well we still have 4 cats.

Now on feb 8th we will be picking up 2 st bernard puppies.

Cant wait to welcome them to the family

IMG_4066(1).jpg
--
I can change almost anything… but I can't change human nature.

CelticFrost

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

January 4th, 2020, 23:32
When my sister was 5 a st bernard stepped on her foot and forever after that she was scared of them…. it was really a friendly dog (actually a few years later it brought its puppies over to show us… she (the sister) was scared of the puppies but i had a blast with em.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)

January 5th, 2020, 00:19
My st. bernard died of cancer. he was a runt and never got as big and slobbery as a regular st.. he was a good dog though. it's always good to add new members to the family. enjoy the pups!

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

January 5th, 2020, 12:11
For most of my life I have had a dog or two of some description. They certainly added something good to your life. Now my partner and I are a be a bit too old to look after one. Last one was with us 18 years.

Enjoy them while you can. Good memories.

SleepingDog

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

January 5th, 2020, 19:09
Enjoy, puppies are cute but also a lot of work. Love dogs and have two GSD's.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)

January 5th, 2020, 19:11
Had to put down a dog a few years back, and that will likely prevent me from ever owning another pet. It was just too rough, like literally losing a family member, and I've no wish to ever repeat that.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
+1:

January 6th, 2020, 00:01
Aye that is hard, have had to do it twice and held them in my arms sitting on the floor each time. It's utterly brutal. But they give so much to life for me to not want to give one a home.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
+1:

January 6th, 2020, 00:08
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Had to put down a dog a few years back, and that will likely prevent me from ever owning another pet. It was just too rough, like literally losing a family member, and I've no wish to ever repeat that.
When I was a young teenager I lost my three 'childhood' dogs within a 14 months of eachother. 1 we put down due to cancer. 2nd had a heart attack just running around the forest. 3rd was already on steroids for autoimmune old age related condition when he was attacked by something one night. Punctured a lung, stripped his CCL, and lost an eye.

I didn't want another dog for the longest time because as Carnifex said, it was very very hard.

However my perspective changed when I volunteered at an animal shelter a couple years later. Humans have a hard time putting the shortened lifespan of an animal into proper perspective. Even tho its really hard on the human to live with one for only part of the humans life, if you are a good owner, you will make the animal happy for its entire life.
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

January 6th, 2020, 17:13
I thought this topic was going to be one to complain about pets!
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

January 6th, 2020, 19:09
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
We had to put down our dog a few years ago. There is one way to help get over the pain and bring a lot of joy into your life. Providing a loving and great home to another pet.

IMG_7700.JPG
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

January 11th, 2020, 00:03
Yes, that's the biggest drawback of pets -- having to watch them get old and pass away.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
+1:

January 11th, 2020, 13:48
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
I thought this topic was going to be one to complain about pets!
i initially thought about that as well. The "grrr" sound usually means anger or aggression in my language.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

January 11th, 2020, 15:25
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Yes, that's the biggest drawback of pets -- having to watch them get old and pass away.
So true - over the past 2.5 years we have had to put down our 14 year old dog, 17 year old cat and had our 15 year old cat pass away overnight the week we’d planned to put her down …

… and just this morning we were discussing the plan for our 13 year old dog who is really ‘losing it’ at this point.

But at the same time we celebrated 2 years since rescuing a new dog who was on his third house and ready to be put down, three months since rescuing a Schnorkie (schnauzer- yorkie) who was deemed ‘unadoptable’ … and coming up on three years of a ‘foster fail’ where we kept one of the kittens we were fostering.

And we still do loads of fostering - we had ~30 cats/kittens come through our house last year. That can be rough - we had a mom and kittens come through really sick and no matter what we did they all failed to thrive and died one by one … ugh.

I type this surrounded by my two dogs, we had to do loads of work and many training sessions, but they are absolutely adorable and love everyone now.
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

January 18th, 2020, 07:08
We always try to keep two but we always end up picking up a few extra that get abandoned. I have a 12 year old cat, 9 year old dog and a brother and sister combo of 6 year old cats. So, 3 cats and a dog right now. When they die it sucks, but I like giving them a home. I've always had pound animals since I was an adult…9 pounds/33 pounds/17 pounds and 11 pounds currently
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Skyrim Worshipper
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)

January 19th, 2020, 20:57
US seems so weird with dogs.. i read that after GoT a lot of people there bought Huskies and then decided to just abandon them (they can be a lot of work).

We don't have stray dogs at all in Sweden. Even stray cats is rare. Dogs here are super expensive, a Husky would convert to around $1400 and you could sell such a dog (if you can't take care of it because you were an idiot and thought you bought a toy) within minutes i bet..

On another note, I'm not sure what's up with my cat… He reminds me of my former pet, a parrot lol..
https://www.instagram.com/p/B7fiZdUBy6s/
--
Latest creations: Fallout NV: A Wasteland in Bloom / Fallout NV: WFO v3.2
Last edited by vurt; January 19th, 2020 at 23:02.

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
+1:

January 19th, 2020, 22:32
I used to live on the outskirts of town. People would dump dogs out there all the time, trying to "release them back to the wild." Like they've ever been in the wild.

@vurt, that's not a cat. That's a Portuguese long-haired squirrel.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

January 19th, 2020, 23:00
lol.. some people.. releasing them into the wild is even worse than releasing them in a city, at least there someone might decide to take care of them or feed them at least.

God damned, i've been tricked this whole time
--

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

January 19th, 2020, 23:51
@vurt My cat did that as well. If you give your cat a box that is closed on the top, but with holes (that you’ve cut) on the sides, it might decide to just crawl in it. But sometimes my cat began ‘gnawing’ on the sides of the holes as well, and spitting the cardboard around.
So every now and then I got my cat a fresh one.
--
1. It's not what you say - it is the way you say it.
Lovely 2 minute video: 'Change your words, change your world'

2. Getting a YouTube video loaded and other BB codes, see this post

Eye

Eye Watch
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

January 20th, 2020, 00:20
@Eye so he might not be a squirrel after all yes he has a box that he can go into as well and i got him a big clothed barrel type of "home" with several entries that are connected. But i don't think he's the kind of cat that likes to hide, he's more interested in being the center of attention hehe
--

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

+1:

January 20th, 2020, 00:21
The cat i had as a kid loved this box a toy truck came in - he would crawl in every day and expect me to play mouse (use my fingers and have them walk around the holes). After a while he would get tired take a nap and then expect to repeat…. was a lot of fun for him but of course my fingers had a lot of odd marks

Originally Posted by Eye View Post
@vurt My cat did that as well. If you give your cat a box that is closed on the top, but with holes (that you’ve cut) on the sides, it might decide to just crawl in it. But sometimes my cat began ‘gnawing’ on the sides of the holes as well, and spitting the cardboard around.
So every now and then I got my cat a fresh one.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Pets,grrrrrrr