Star Citizen - Being Sued by Crytek

Excellent news, finally something exciting on this front. Hahaha! I wish so Star Citizen to perish! Lumberyard-Junkyard is merely an embellished Crytek Engine. If Crytek goes down with Star Citizen so be it, but Star Citizen Must Fall!

If not joking, that is a stupid comment.

I'm kinda puzzled by the court document (on scribd) saying this is a copyright infringement and then talk about breach of contract.

These are mutually exclusive. A copyright infringement can only happen if the contract was cancelled (or never existed) while a breach of contract require a valid contract.

edit:
Even more puzzling, the court document claims SQ42 was a second game added in 2015 when it was part of the original crowdfunding pitch in late 2012 and I doubt CIG would have forgot to mention it when they got the engine license in 2013.

The breach of contract is because they did not adhere to the terms: among other things promote CryEngine in Star Citizen and not use another engine (this -apparently- was part of the deal as the docs claim CryTek built the original KS pitch demo for free for Roberts :O).
The copyright infringement is because they used the engine for a 2nd game (SQ42). Originally this was part of SC, but it got split off as a seperate game around end of 2015.
T

The breach of contract is because they did not adhere to the terms: among other things promote CryEngine in Star Citizen and not use another engine (this -apparently- was part of the deal as the docs claim CryTek built the original KS pitch demo for free for Roberts :O).
The copyright infringement is because they used the engine for a 2nd game (SQ42). Originally this was part of SC, but it got split off as a seperate game around end of 2015.
T

That the 2012 crowdfunding demo was for SQ42…

By the way, I've been following the project a lot and the only thing that happened in dec 2015 is that CIG created a package with only SQ42 in it (which was made available in Feb 2016), there was no development change between SQ42 and Star Citizen and SQ42 haven't been shown since October 2015 (the next time they show it, it's going to run on Lumberyard).

Their was always SQ42 and Star Citizen since the very first announcement, so either Crytek is playing with lawyer-speak or CIG have been in copyright infringement the moment they signed the license contract in 2013.

This lawsuit reminds me of when microsoft ripped off the bsd folks. They use the bsd ip stack because they were too lazy to write their own (this is legal); but they refused to include the bsd copywrite in windows (which is illegal).

Back
Top Bottom