Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Tip and Tricks -

Eh? Those three cretins can actually aid you in the prologue? Didn't know…
I kicked the guy myself. Twice, so it wasn't luck. :p

Forget the horserace sidequest - it stops random encounters. And you don't get the reward. Bugs bugs everywhere.
Save that one for patched game replay.

I think you are a bit naive if you didnt think they were going to do something wrong based on what your mother told you about your friends and the fact that they decided to throw dung at that guys house. :p

While I do hate it when you choose a dialogue choice and it doesnt come out how it is worded. The result of "help me" was a good thing that most RPG's should use. In real life you dont know exactly what will happen when you utter those words to someone, I dont see why in an RPG it should be any different especailly in regards to a group of people who are in a way corrupt.

Well, I decided not to get involved in throwing poo on their house, which the game "recognized" by letting my friends running to the house anyways, and letting the first dialoge sound like I helped them which was then followed by me asking them for help, on which they replied that I didn't help them before. After convincing them, they moved ahead and get everyone involved into a brawl. And after that I asked for lockpicks...

That beginning was already pretty messed up regarding quest/dialogue/logic structure.
@joxer;: I am still having events after the race. However the reward bugged out. The saddle you are supposed to receive doesn't appear.

I'm not having any luck binding console commands to a config file. I created the user.cfg and placed it in my KCD directory, and added the +exec user.cfg shortcut to my launch options, but it's not working for me.

Well, this is how mine looks:

----

-- Hide HUD
bind 3 "g_showHUD 0"

-- Show HUD
bind 4 "g_showHUD 1"

-- Hide Compass
bind 5 "wh_ui_showCompass 0"

-- Show Compass
bind 6 "wh_ui_showCompass 1"

---

It works perfectly for me.

If you decide to play "Hardcore" mode - then the lower status bar goes away all by itself, which is definitely my preference for maximum immersion.

Still not working for me. I even tried copying your example but no luck. I've seen other people on the Steam forums having the same issue, but it appears to be random. I might have to just use a mod.

Still not working for me. I even tried copying your example but no luck. I've seen other people on the Steam forums having the same issue. I might have to just use a mod.

Have you put the +exec user.cfg on the actual shortcut - or in the Steam launch options?

I never launch games directly from Steam - and I use custom shortcuts for a variety of reasons.

So, my shortcut has this:

D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\KingdomComeDeliverance\Bin\Win64\KingdomCome.exe +exec user.cfg

In "Target".

If you're launching directly from Steam, I imagine you have to put the +exec user.cfg into Steam launch options.

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas.

Also, I launch ALL games with Administrator rights.

Does the "From the Ashes" DLC add anything to the game besides the settlement building scenario?

It integrates into the main game. It's apparently much better to experience as part of the main game - than it is to go back after completing it, because it's not really needed at that point.

I don't think there's much story content - if any, though.

That said, I've yet to experience it - so I don't actually know.

I just wanted to give a little extra to support the developers, to be frank.

I've decided to wait until October to play it - because I will have an entire month off from work - and I want to dedicate a week or so to this game.

If I'm lucky, I'll even get another patch by then ;)

BTW, another little tip:

Very often, if you make any kind of change to the "Graphics Settings" or if you alt-tab - the game resets everything to "High" and sets the screen to Borderless again.

You gain quite a bit of performance by being in "Fullscreen" - so be sure you keep an eye out for any unintended reset.

Have you put the +exec user.cfg on the actual shortcut - or in the Steam launch options?

I never launch games directly from Steam - and I use custom shortcuts for a variety of reasons.

So, my shortcut has this:

D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\KingdomComeDeliverance\Bin\Win64\KingdomCome.exe +exec user.cfg

In "Target".

If you're launching directly from Steam, I imagine you have to put the +exec user.cfg into Steam launch options.

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas.

Also, I launch ALL games with Administrator rights.

I gave that a try but still no luck. :(

I wish I understood why it's not working for me. Anyways, I found a mod that takes care of the reticle, and that was my main gripe anyways. It would be nice to be able to toggle the compass, but I can live with that for now.

BTW, another little tip:

Very often, if you make any kind of change to the "Graphics Settings" or if you alt-tab - the game resets everything to "High" and sets the screen to Borderless again.

You gain quite a bit of performance by being in "Fullscreen" - so be sure you keep an eye out for any unintended reset.

Nice catch there. I was running around in Borderless and didn't even realize it. :)

It seems that even simply turning the fps counter on/off resets things. How has something like that not been fixed yet?

I haven't even messed with the graphics settings yet other than to set AA to SMAA 2Tx. Is there a very significant visual difference between High and Very High? In past CryEngine games, it didn't seem like the visual difference justified the performance difference.

I currently have everything on High + all the HD packs. I'm getting a constant 60 fps with Vsync on with those settings.

Nice catch there. I was running around in Borderless and didn't even realize it. :)

It seems that even simply turning the fps counter on/off resets things. How has something like that not been fixed yet?

No idea, but it's certainly annoying. Thankfully, you don't have to mess with it after you've established a comfortable configuration.

However, if you check out some of the behind the scenes videos, it's pretty clear that this is a passion project that's been extremely hard to pull off, for such a small team. They've been close to shut-down several times.

I think they were ~80 people during peak development - and this kind of game usually takes hundreds of developers.

Of course, that's not a valid excuse - but considering some of the stuff they managed to pull off, I'm impressed they ever released this game in the first place.

To me, it really feels a lot like Gothic did back at release. A very innovative, immersive and plausible take on the open world genre.

But you definitely need to be a little forgiving of quirks and oddities.

I haven't even messed with the graphics settings yet other than to set AA to SMAA 2Tx. Is there a very significant visual difference between High and Very High?

Not sure. But you'll see a very significant FPS drop during your first night-scene with Shadows on High. I put them on Medium and use this mod:

https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/41

To compensate. Otherwise, your frames will tank during night+torches scenes.

I play with HD everything and I've maxed out distance settings. Every setting is on Very High - except Textures and Vegetation Details that I've put on Ultra. Also, as I mentioned, Shadows is on Medium.

I get smooth performance for the most part. Strangely enough, the game performs worse inside buildings - but still very close to constant 60 FPS. Forests are very smooth, though - which is a little odd considering the ridiculous amount of detail they've put in those.

Ah… I hadn't realized there was a setting above Very High.

I've switched everything to Very High now (plus max view distances), and I still get a constant 60 fps. I haven't used a torch yet though so I expect I'll run into the same performance hit when I do. I'll keep that mod in mind.

Oddly enough, it won't even allow me to select a preset lower than High. I tried to set it on Low because I wanted to see what it looked like, but nothing happens when I confirm that setting or Medium.

So is it correct to say this game is still very very buggy ?

It's correct to say that it has bugs and glitches. Personally, I haven't come across anything serious or game-breaking in any way - but, then, I haven't played it enough to really know for sure.

Compared to other huge open world games, I think it's within the same ballpark - except the simulation has a much higher fidelity, and therefore is almost inevitably prone to breaking apart more often.

It's not AAA-level slick and polished - and you can definitely tell the developers didn't compromise a whole lot when it comes to features for the sake of presentation.

I would MUCH rather have that, than a game playing it safe - but that comes down to personal preferences.

Again, it feels like it was made by Piranha Bytes back when they were bold and visionary.

It has that same euro slight jankiness about it, that's easy to forgive if you appreciate the vision.

I still need to pick this one up, at the moment I'm entertained but at the next lull, this one might be on my list to acquire. Nice to see that we have such a robust thread right here to already discuss the game when I get it.

So, exactly at what point does the intro stop?
I expected an open world after Skalitz. But then I got stuck in Talmberg, where I could do very little but find a way to out.
Then when I finally did, I could not go anywhere but back to Skalitz; I would have liked to do a sidequest first but I was simply blocked by an invisible wall to go in any direction but Skalitz.

Right before leaving Talmberg, and in Rovna as well, it was impossible to sleep to restore energy, because apparently the devs did not want you to save the game other than by taking that drink. I am now in Skalitz again and still it is not possible to sleep: I am forbidden to waste any time.

I am annoyed by this lack of choices. When does it end? If it ends at all.

Anyway, my initial enthusiasm has waned, though, at this point, I have not given up hope yet it’ll return sooner or later.

Also, I notice that one has to watch quite a lot of movies, seeing the short amount of time played thus far.
I have not played a lot of games for a while now, so maybe this is the latest fashion? Or do I have a selective memory when it comes to older games? (E.g. Gothic and Drakensang).

I think the landscape is beautiful, and I love the historic setting and details, though the corpses are not exactly my cup of tea. I disliked having to walk through a pile of them. A bit too much gore for my taste.

So, exactly at what point does the intro stop?
I expected an open world after Skalitz. But then I got stuck in Talmberg, where I could do very little but find a way to out.
Then when I finally did, I could not go anywhere but back to Skalitz; I would have liked to do a sidequest first but I was simply blocked by an invisible wall to go in any direction but Skalitz.

Right before leaving Talmberg, and in Rovna as well, it was impossible to sleep to restore energy, because apparently the devs did not want you to save the game other than by taking that drink. I am now in Skalitz again and still it is not possible to sleep: I am forbidden to waste any time.

I am annoyed by this lack of choices. When does it end? If it ends at all.

Anyway, my initial enthusiasm has waned, though, at this point, I have not given up hope yet it’ll return sooner or later.

Also, I notice that one has to watch quite a lot of movies, seeing the short amount of time played thus far.
I have not played a lot of games for a while now, so maybe this is the latest fashion? Or do I have a selective memory when it comes to older games? (E.g. Gothic and Drakensang).

I think the landscape is beautiful, and I love the historic setting and details, though the corpses are not exactly my cup of tea. I disliked having to walk through a pile of them. A bit too much gore for my taste.

The intro ends after you return to Skalitz to bury your parents. Well, the "linear" part ends at that point - but there's still a lot of things you will learn as part of the tutorial.

But the game opens up after a certain sequence back in Skalitz - and you can more or less do what you want.

Not sure what you mean by lack of choices, beyond the linear introduction. There are more choices in the first few hours in KCD than you'll find in most CRPGs - as you can approach dialogues and quests in several ways, both in dialogue and outside of dialogues.

Don't worry about the Schnapps, you can get more of those quite easily - but they're an intentional part of the game to provide tension and meaning to your choices.

That said, you can easily find an Unlimited Saves mod if you prefer to lose that tension.

The cutscenes are a part of the rather extensive introduction - but I found that the game becomes much more traditional after that. But you will still have them in certain quests and sequences afterwards.

With all that said, though, I'd say that if the story/narrative hasn't grabbed you a little by now - then it's fully possible the game just isn't for you. I was certainly engaged by what's happening - and found the presentation very effective.

But not all games are for everyone, and that's ok.

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.
The intro ends after you return to Skalitz to bury your parents. Well, the "linear" part ends at that point - but there's still a lot of things you will learn as part of the tutorial.

But the game opens up after a certain sequence back in Skalitz - and you can more or less do what you want.

Not sure what you mean by lack of choices, beyond the linear introduction. There are more choices in the first few hours in KCD than you'll find in most CRPGs - as you can approach dialogues and quests in several ways, both in dialogue and outside of dialogues.
I see. Well, I have little to compare with that is not years old. :)
Anyway, I got a bit bored in Talmberg; there is little else to do but follow the line you are pushed in. Stealing for instance is rather pointless if you can not sell it. I tried killing one or two soldiers, but that did not quite help me in Talmberg. Not much herbs to gather there either.

Having to answer and then learning later you misunderstood the consequence (mentioned in this thread here by someone else as well) was a nuisance to me. Having to answer within a certain time or else the system just takes the first option (for that one is highlighted) was a nuisance too, for I was distracted by things happening irl that suddenly needed my attention. And no possibility to reread what I missed.

Don't worry about the Schnapps, you can get more of those quite easily - but they're an intentional part of the game to provide tension and meaning to your choices.
Yeah, I guess. But me, I’d like to decide that part myself. A player can always decide to use no in between saves at all, other then on exit, but I prefer to be given a choice when to rest or save or pause. What I did now was that I just quit the game, save on exit, and then start it again. Which is a hassle.
Me, I find tension and meaning in other things than not having the possibility to save, I do not gnaw on my finger nails when playing the lottery or a cardgame where I could hit the jackpot or go bust (not saying you do, Darth, I do not think you are fond of those simplicities, those imposed subterfuges either), me, I find meaning and tension in seeking the best strategic choices. So I like to go back on a previous choice.
I am already making enough wrong choices without having the possibility to restore them irl as it is. :)

That said, you can easily find an Unlimited Saves mod if you prefer to lose that tension.
Great! Thanks! I will search for that one.

The cutscenes are a part of the rather extensive introduction - but I found that the game becomes much more traditional after that. But you will still have them in certain quests and sequences afterwards.

With all that said, though, I'd say that if the story/narrative hasn't grabbed you a little by now - then it's fully possible the game just isn't for you. I was certainly engaged by what's happening - and found the presentation very effective.

But not all games are for everyone, and that's ok.
Well, perhaps it is my bad. I was hoping for a second Gothic 2, which grabbed me with all my being at the time, postponing bedtime every day, but maybe that was a once in a lifetime experience. :(

Any way, thanks. I won’t give up yet, and with that mod the play will be more to my satisfaction I guess.

Back
Top Bottom