The TV Series discussion thread - Page 304 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread

Default The TV Series discussion thread

October 2nd, 2021, 07:27
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
News is out that Babylon 5 will be getting a reboot. Straczynski will be back at the helm, so I'm expecting it to be a good thing. If I don't see characters wearing outfits with pockets, I'll assume Straczynski is being blackmailed into putting his name on it.
I'm somewhat surprised tbh. I know it has a cult following, but I didn't think it was popular enough to revive after all these years.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#6061

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 32,685
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)

Default 

October 2nd, 2021, 17:37
After re-watching episode six, series two of Mr. Robot, I simply had to post to exclaim what an excellent hour of telly this is. This episode, more than any other, sums up the entire premise of the series, at least up to this point. The first fifteen minutes, shot in complete homage of a comedy show (complete with audience laugh reel) literally spells out the entire plot: to wit, if anything still had you confused at this point, almost every single answer is provided here. It's just stellar telly!

Personal highlight for me: Watching Darlene get punched unconscious not once, but twice via her mum. Now I'm usually against such violence, especially against women, yet….Darlene, man. Every so often, a person that truly deserves a beating catches one!
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#6062

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holly Hill, FL.
Posts: 15,261
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)

Default 

October 2nd, 2021, 18:46
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Personal highlight for me: Watching Darlene get punched unconscious not once, but twice via her mum. Now I'm usually against such violence, especially against women, yet….Darlene, man. Every so often, a person that truly deserves a beating catches one!
Yeah, Darlene is probably one of my least favorite characters. She was annoying at first, but sorta grew on me. Then she sometimes has some great moments, but she's still able to pull off some cringe ones. The only one I like even less is probably Dom. She's usually so low-energy and depressed that sometimes I can't get if it's the actress of if that's the direction she received.

One the other side, a fantastic episodic character is Leon. Just a great and really likeable dude. Also, Irving. I recently saw him in Motherless Brooklyn and he looked very different, and for a few minutes I could not place him. He looked really familiar, but I could not place him. Until I looked him up on imdb.
danutz_plusplus is offline

danutz_plusplus

danutz_plusplus's Avatar
SasqWatch

#6063

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,687
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Default 

October 2nd, 2021, 21:12
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
News is out that Babylon 5 will be getting a reboot.
WTF
Heaps of great shows so outdated young audiences don't want to touch are practically begging for rework, why messing with the universally beloved scifi show that is still top notch?

What's even worse, it's going to be a CW production.
And you know how things work at CW.
Cheap sets and bad CGI, dumb script and dumber dialogues, soapification imminent after a couple of seasons, and all leads at age 17-19, not older so the show can go on and on till all actors are a retirement material.

If the show's first season sells, of course.
Sadly, I expect another Tomorrow People case.

Honestly I wish me being wrong.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#6064

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,468
Mentioned: 230 Post(s)

Default 

October 2nd, 2021, 21:41
Good lord, Joxer and I agreeing on something….is it already samhain??

It just feels wrong and spooky!! =p
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#6065

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holly Hill, FL.
Posts: 15,261
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)

Default 

October 2nd, 2021, 23:33
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
Yeah, Darlene is probably one of my least favorite characters. She was annoying at first, but sorta grew on me. Then she sometimes has some great moments, but she's still able to pull off some cringe ones. The only one I like even less is probably Dom. She's usually so low-energy and depressed that sometimes I can't get if it's the actress of if that's the direction she received.

One the other side, a fantastic episodic character is Leon. Just a great and really likeable dude. Also, Irving. I recently saw him in Motherless Brooklyn and he looked very different, and for a few minutes I could not place him. He looked really familiar, but I could not place him. Until I looked him up on imdb.
Darlene is fine, but she can be narrow-minded sometimes. It's easy to be exasperated with her.

Leon is really cool in his style.

But I prefer Price, this guy is really living in another dimension. When Colby asks him "what do you do it for?" in S2E10… his answer is so insane! The contrast with his alter-ego in the fantasy world is striking, the other guy seems so lost, without any purpose.
Redglyph is offline

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
SasqWatch

#6066

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 4,852
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)

Default 

October 3rd, 2021, 00:11
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
Darlene is fine, but she can be narrow-minded sometimes. It's easy to be exasperated with her.
I don't mean just that. I mean her whole character. She looks like she tries too hard to be cool, and it just comes off weird. Plus plenty of the slang or cursing she uses, just doesn't sound right to me. I guess I just don't buy her character sometimes. Not really sure why, but I've had an aversion to the way she plays her character from the get-go. She did grow on me over the course, but she sometimes still misses.

Or maybe that's the whole point. That she puts on a front, badly though. With the later mentions of her panic attacks. That was a bit weird that they made no mention until the later seasons? Or maybe I'm just not remembering.
danutz_plusplus is offline

danutz_plusplus

danutz_plusplus's Avatar
SasqWatch

#6067

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,687
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Default 

October 3rd, 2021, 02:35
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
But I prefer Price, this guy is really living in another dimension. When Colby asks him "what do you do it for?" in S2E10… his answer is so insane! The contrast with his alter-ego in the fantasy world is striking, the other guy seems so lost, without any purpose.
Was that where he talks about always wanting to be the most powerful person in the room? That was a great scene. Price was underutilized imo and so was Whiterose, at least in the first two seasons. I hope they play a larger role in seasons 3 & 4. I really need to finish it.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#6068

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 32,685
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)

Default 

October 3rd, 2021, 03:33
Darlene from Mr. Robot grates on me similar to how I didn't care for Dexter's sister. I just cannot put my finger squarely on the reason, yet both characters never sat well with me, not sure if it was the actors or the roles.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#6069

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holly Hill, FL.
Posts: 15,261
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)

Default 

October 3rd, 2021, 09:17
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Darlene from Mr. Robot grates on me similar to how I didn't care for Dexter's sister. I just cannot put my finger squarely on the reason, yet both characters never sat well with me, not sure if it was the actors or the roles.
Yeah, I think I felt something similar about Debra. But I think Darlene is worst, somehow. Debra is more generic, but Darlene has lower lows.

In terms of what I've been watching lately, I started watching Sillicon Valley. This was something I watched a little bit of, years ago, and now that it's finished I want to get through it. It's sufficiently lighthearted and also plenty of fun in how it makes fun of the IT industry. And it does so in a way smarter way than the shitty Big Bang Theory. I mean, you can't really compare them, so I'm not even sure why I mentioned BBT. But, whatever.
danutz_plusplus is offline

danutz_plusplus

danutz_plusplus's Avatar
SasqWatch

#6070

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,687
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Default 

October 3rd, 2021, 09:39
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Was that where he talks about always wanting to be the most powerful person in the room? That was a great scene. Price was underutilized imo and so was Whiterose, at least in the first two seasons. I hope they play a larger role in seasons 3 & 4. I really need to finish it.
That's the scene, makes me wonder if there are people like that in reality. And I wouldn't be too surprised if there were.

Price is about as present in seasons 3-4, I'd say, perhaps longer in a few episodes and not at all in some others. Whiterose is more often involved though.

I thought you didn't like Mr Robot too much?
Redglyph is offline

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
SasqWatch

#6071

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 4,852
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)

Default 

October 3rd, 2021, 09:51
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
I don't mean just that. I mean her whole character. She looks like she tries too hard to be cool, and it just comes off weird. Plus plenty of the slang or cursing she uses, just doesn't sound right to me. I guess I just don't buy her character sometimes. Not really sure why, but I've had an aversion to the way she plays her character from the get-go. She did grow on me over the course, but she sometimes still misses.

Or maybe that's the whole point. That she puts on a front, badly though. With the later mentions of her panic attacks. That was a bit weird that they made no mention until the later seasons? Or maybe I'm just not remembering.
I see what you mean. I put that on the role she has to play, the total outlaw who still has a strong sense of family and "clan". Not that I like the style very much but it didn't strike me as odd.

Except I would have expected her to be more frank with Elliot and his condition. She obviously knows it from the start but uses it at his expense.

I don't think she had panic attacks earlier either.
Redglyph is offline

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
SasqWatch

#6072

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 4,852
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)

Default 

October 3rd, 2021, 10:03
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
That's the scene, makes me wonder if there are people like that in reality. And I wouldn't be too surprised if there were.

Price is about as present in seasons 3-4, I'd say, perhaps longer in a few episodes and not at all in some others. Whiterose is more often involved though.

I thought you didn't like Mr Robot too much?
I enjoyed it well enough, but I wasn't blown away by it. I think it's one of those shows where a lot of people either love it or hate it. I fall squarely in the middle. I only stopped watching it because I got caught up doing other things.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#6073

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 32,685
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

October 3rd, 2021, 12:17
Interesting bit of news (NBC News)
'Bridgerton' tops Netflix's list of most watched TV shows ever, while 'Extraction' leads among movies
Ted Sarandos, Netflix’s co-CEO, released Netflix’s latest list of its most popular TV shows and movies at the Code Conference in Beverly Hills, California.

Netflix said on Monday that the first season of “Bridgerton” was its most watched TV series ever, with 82 million subscribers tuning in for at least two minutes in its first 28 days on the service.

Ted Sarandos, Netflix’s co-CEO, released Netflix’s latest list of its most-popular TV shows and movies while speaking at the Code Conference in Beverly Hills, California. Sarandos showed a slide that included the top 10 in each category.

“Bridgerton,” a period piece about 19th century British royalty produced by Shonda Rhimes, premiered in December. French series “Lupin: Part 1″ and season one of “The Witcher,” a fantasy series starring Henry Cavill, tied for second on the list, with 76 million accounts.

Among movies, the action film “Extraction” earned the No. 1 spot. The film about a captured CIA agent was watched by 99 million accounts in the first 28 days, Netflix said.

“Bird Box,” a post-apocalyptic horror film, and the action-comedy “Spenser Confidential” were the second- and third-most popular films, according to the company.
[. . .]
Redglyph is offline

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
SasqWatch

#6074

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 4,852
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)

Default 

October 3rd, 2021, 17:47
I tried a new comedy show, at least I think it's supposed to be a comedy, Loudermilk. It reminds me a lot of Fleabag, full of deplorable characters and some funny bits. I like the lead guy a lot as an actor, so for now I'll stick with it, you gotta have some laughs these days and SNL hasn't scratched that itch for almost two decades, now.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#6075

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holly Hill, FL.
Posts: 15,261
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)

Default 

October 3rd, 2021, 18:15
It's not a film, but yesterday I spent nearly 4 hours in a row with my partner watching the 3 first nearly film-long episodes of a newish sci-fi show called Foundation that's just being aired on AppleTV. I'm sure some may have already heard about it, but to us it was a surprise and we both loved it to the point that we and can't wait to watch more.

The plot so far is quite compelling and the FX are pretty nicely done. I don't know what budget they had, but looks and feels really good in general, full-fledged spaceship combat sequences included.
Nereida is offline

Nereida

Nereida's Avatar
Fallen Aasimar

#6076

Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 591
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

October 3rd, 2021, 18:23
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
It's not a film, but yesterday I spent nearly 4 hours in a row with my partner watching the 3 first nearly film-long episodes of a newish sci-fi show called Foundation that's just being aired on AppleTV. I'm sure some may have already heard about it, but to us it was a surprise and we both loved it to the point that we and can't wait to watch more.

The plot so far is quite compelling and the FX are pretty nicely done. I don't know what budget they had, but looks and feels really good in general, full-fledged spaceship combat sequences included.
If it was a surprise for you I assume that you are too young to know the books?
bkrueger is offline

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

#6077

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,237
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Default 

October 3rd, 2021, 19:10
Originally Posted by bkrueger View Post
If it was a surprise for you I assume that you are too young to know the books?
Probably, or just went under the radar. I didn't expect to enjoy it so much for sure!
Nereida is offline

Nereida

Nereida's Avatar
Fallen Aasimar

#6078

Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 591
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

October 3rd, 2021, 19:26
Oops, I should have posted about Foundation here instead on the movie thread.

My bad!

TL;DR - enjoying Foundation a lot, it's being aired on AppleTV for those who wanna have a look, new episode every Friday. Probably this is not news to a lot of people, but there it is!
Nereida is offline

Nereida

Nereida's Avatar
Fallen Aasimar

#6079

Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 591
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

October 4th, 2021, 03:24
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
It's not a film, but yesterday I spent nearly 4 hours in a row with my partner watching the 3 first nearly film-long episodes of a newish sci-fi show called Foundation that's just being aired on AppleTV. I'm sure some may have already heard about it, but to us it was a surprise and we both loved it to the point that we and can't wait to watch more.

The plot so far is quite compelling and the FX are pretty nicely done. I don't know what budget they had, but looks and feels really good in general, full-fledged spaceship combat sequences included.
I re-read the first book in August, so I definitely spent time with the first episode comparing one to the other. Changes I was mixed about, but the depth allowed by the series over what was essentially the 'introduction' in the book … pretty cool. Weill definitely keep up with it.
--
-- Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

SasqWatch

#6080

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,863
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:23.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch