Expeditions: Rome - Gaul & Africa Trailer - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Expeditions: Rome - Gaul & Africa Trailer

Default Expeditions: Rome - Gaul & Africa Trailer

December 24th, 2021, 10:32
Logic Artists and THQ Nordic released a new trailer.

Expeditions: Rome - Gaul & Africa Trailer

loading…

As a Roman Legatus, your campaign will lead you through many different regions. Among them, Gaul and Africa. How will you shape their future?
More information.

Redglyph

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)

December 24th, 2021, 12:13
Hoping to see this small village of indomitable Gauls

Redglyph

SasqWatch

December 24th, 2021, 14:20
But will it take us up to Germania and Britannia?
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

December 24th, 2021, 15:15
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
Hoping to see this small village of indomitable Gauls
I'm reading through their adventures, currently.

However, this trailer should have a sub-headline : "Soon, all of this beatutiful landscape will be covered by blood and gore !"
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)

December 24th, 2021, 18:51
I'm seriously looking forward to whomping through that Gaul area, lol!!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)

December 24th, 2021, 19:18
Played the demo for about 45 minutes… that was enough to know this is another must-buy from them.

SSIGuy

An Islander Returned

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

December 24th, 2021, 20:04
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
However, this trailer should have a sub-headline : "Soon, all of this beatutiful landscape will be covered by blood and gore !"
Hmm..I call that realistic as at that time those areas were tribal with many clan wars.
Originally Posted by SSIGuy View Post
Played the demo for about 45 minutes… that was enough to know this is another must-buy from them.
I didn't have to try the demo and spoil the game to know it's a must by.
Originally Posted by Hastar View Post
But will it take us up to Germania and Britannia?
Probably no it's set before the Empire was formed. It's still a Republic with a consul leading the senate. At that time the wars were mostly in Greece, Africa, and Gaul.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Half Rotten Potato

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
+1:

December 25th, 2021, 00:50
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
I didn't have to try the demo and spoil the game to know it's a must by.
Haha… I didn't really have to either - just couldn't wait to sink my teeth into it.

I will say the game feels more polished than Vikings and the combat seems like it might be a bit deeper too. All-in-all, I think this will end up being their best game to date.

SSIGuy

An Islander Returned

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

December 26th, 2021, 11:55
I'll get it too, if it does not have the annoying time limit of Vikings Exp. If it does, then it's a pass for me.

2D12

Traveler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

December 26th, 2021, 16:40
Originally Posted by 2D12 View Post
I'll get it too, if it does not have the annoying time limit of Vikings Exp. If it does, then it's a pass for me.
No, they've clearly learned that lesson, it's been discussed a few times in their Discord.

From the demo (with some self-deprecating humour):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg takeyourtime.jpg (27.3 KB, 31 views)

Redglyph

SasqWatch

December 26th, 2021, 19:24
Oh thank goodness, those time limits are honestly part of the reason I've not replayed Vikings to this date. I'm so pleased to see that's not a "feature" of the newest offering.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

December 28th, 2021, 02:33
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Oh thank goodness, those time limits are honestly part of the reason I've not replayed Vikings to this date. I'm so pleased to see that's not a "feature" of the newest offering.
In version 1.0.3 of Expeditions: Vikings the developer added a way to disable the game-over that you'll normally get if you run out of time in the campaign. Time will still pass as normal and the timeline will appear to progress, but once it reaches the end, nothing will happen.

To activate this:
  1. First find your config file. It should be in \Documents\My Games\Expeditions Viking\Config.
  2. Open Config.ini with your text editor of choice (Notepad will do nicely).
  3. Look for the text "TimeGameOver=True".
  4. If it's there, change it to TimeGameOver=False
  5. If it's not there, locate the [PlayerSettings] section and add the line at the end of it: TimeGameOver=False
  6. Save the file and open the game.
To verify that the time limit is disabled, hover over your marker or the icon at the end of the timeline. It should say, in a red font: "Running out of time is currently disabled."

Arahael

Watchdog

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

December 28th, 2021, 02:47
Originally Posted by Arahael View Post
In version 1.0.3 of Expeditions: Vikings the developer added a way to disable the game-over that you'll normally get if you run out of time in the campaign. Time will still pass as normal and the timeline will appear to progress, but once it reaches the end, nothing will happen.

To activate this:
  1. First find your config file. It should be in \Documents\My Games\Expeditions Viking\Config.
  2. Open Config.ini with your text editor of choice (Notepad will do nicely).
  3. Look for the text "TimeGameOver=True".
  4. If it's there, change it to TimeGameOver=False
  5. If it's not there, locate the [PlayerSettings] section and add the line at the end of it: TimeGameOver=False
  6. Save the file and open the game.
To verify that the time limit is disabled, hover over your marker or the icon at the end of the timeline. It should say, in a red font: "Running out of time is currently disabled."
Well learn something new everyday. Thanks for sharing this.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Half Rotten Potato

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)

December 28th, 2021, 04:20
Indeed, if I ever get around to replaying Vikings, I will be invoking this step immediately. Thanks for the info!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

December 28th, 2021, 04:43
I know some people really dislike time limits in RPGs, so I'm glad there's an option to disable for them, but I honestly felt like I had enough time to do everything in Viking. It would only have been an issue if I was purposely grinding for resources, which really isn't necessary.

Anyway, I tried the Rome demo for little while, just to go through the first fight and then check out the classes. Good stuff. Considering the 20% off, I will probably pre-purchase the game on GOG.

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

+1:

December 28th, 2021, 11:17
Thanks for the tip @Arahael!

The Rome demo made me want to try Expeditions: Viking first.

They've gone a long way in game presentation and handling since Viking and I'm pleased to see they switched from Unity to Unreal, which improves a lot of things including those annoying loading times!

But I may regret the stats system of Vikings. Gone are the class attributes and the multiple skill pages, now there are 4 classes with 3 skill trees in each, corresponding to specializations but you are not restrained to one tree, you can pick any of the skills in your class (screenshot on the right, Veles class). On top of that, weapons add their own skills (screenshot on the left, comparison of skills for 2 different swords).

They're convinced it is for the best, we'll have to see how it fares in the long run. I think it will take less time to browse the character sheet and leave more time to focus on other parts of the game while still providing enough choice (there are already 24 class skills, not sure if others get added).

BTW, VirtusIncognita took the time to analyze the different classes and skills on Discord, if anyone is interested to dig deeper. I haven't read any of it yet, here is the link (you may have to get the server invite first):

https://discord.com/channels/7022912…04904510648340
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skills_wp.jpg (157.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg skills.jpg (128.7 KB, 18 views)
Last edited by Redglyph; December 28th, 2021 at 11:22. Reason: info on screenshots

Redglyph

SasqWatch

December 28th, 2021, 20:04
But I may regret the stats system of Vikings. Gone are the class attributes and the multiple skill pages, now there are 4 classes with 3 skill trees in each, corresponding to specializations but you are not restrained to one tree, you can pick any of the skills in your class (screenshot on the right, Veles class). On top of that, weapons add their own skills (screenshot on the left, comparison of skills for 2 different swords).

They're convinced it is for the best, we'll have to see how it fares in the long run. I think it will take less time to browse the character sheet and leave more time to focus on other parts of the game while still providing enough choice (there are already 24 class skills, not sure if others get added).
Yes, my initial reaction is to dislike removal the attribute stats. Jonas (creative director) basically said that most players just end up min maxing stats anyway (esp. with a class based system). I think that's generally true, but still, depending on the rules system you can end up making some interesting less conventional builds (like a Dex based fighter in D&D).

Another reason they ditched stats is they made ranged attacks now have 100% hit chance; unless they're attacking a character with a shield or behind cover, though damage decreases with distance. Hey at least maybe we'll finally have a turn-based cRPG where no one is complaining about being screwed by the RNG.

We are missing out on the whole opportunity cost of making a smarter / charismatic character vs. one who just excels at fighting. Besides that we (nerds) just like our numbers. But as you said, we'll see how it goes.

I'm also not sure yet about the rhetoric system (pick Logos, Pathos, or Ethos as your character's proficiency). It's probably mostly for flavor, but could have some interesting roleplaying implications. As the developers said, unlike in the tutorial you will not find many dialogue where there's an option for all three. So different NPCs will be vulnerable to different rhetorical styles based on their personality.

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

December 28th, 2021, 20:30
Originally Posted by daveyd View Post
Yes, my initial reaction is to dislike removal the attribute stats. Jonas (creative director) basically said that most players just end up min maxing stats anyway (esp. with a class based system). I think that's generally true, but still, depending on the rules system you can end up making some interesting less conventional builds (like a Dex based fighter in D&D).

Another reason they ditched stats is they made ranged attacks now have 100% hit chance; unless they're attacking a character with a shield or behind cover, though damage decreases with distance. Hey at least maybe we'll finally have a turn-based cRPG where no one is complaining about being screwed by the RNG.

We are missing out on the whole opportunity cost of making a smarter / charismatic character vs. one who just excels at fighting. Besides that we (nerds) just like our numbers. But as you said, we'll see how it goes.

I'm also not sure yet about the rhetoric system (pick Logos, Pathos, or Ethos as your character's proficiency). It's probably mostly for flavor, but could have some interesting roleplaying implications. As the developers said, unlike in the tutorial you will not find many dialogue where there's an option for all three. So different NPCs will be vulnerable to different rhetorical styles based on their personality.
I saw Jonas' argument. I don't entirely agree but we must be a minority to be interested in crunching numbers - I rather call it freedom of RP and opportunity to balance offensive/defensive traits, for ex. with WIS, DEX, and so on - but that last one is for D&D and relatives, perhaps Viking's system only makes sense by min-maxing, from a stat point-of-view.

The influence / rhetoric system really offers different dialogue lines instead of increasing the chances of success in a skill check, from what I saw. So shoo to the old RNG there too, I suppose? Indeed, not all options are always present, which makes sense. I saw that with 2 different characters and Caesar's small side quest, for ex.

I'm not too concerned about fewer stats, what little freedom we lose, we'll gain in other features, or in the overall design quality. Given the choice, I'd rather keep them though.

PS: I only realize now that your avatar is coming from Expeditions: Viking

Redglyph

SasqWatch

+1:

December 29th, 2021, 00:11
Originally Posted by daveyd View Post

Its like you read my mind

I was def not happy about removal of stats because I'm not min/maxer - maybe devs found most of their fan base are?

I certainly like spreading my points to all stats (e.g. I never let any stats to drop below 10 in D&D/Pathfinder) and even like keeping CHA at 14 even if its not a required stat for my class (because I think leader should be reasonably charismatic).

Also not happy about picking 1 of 3 rhetoric/persuasion system - I know the game stated you can pick 2nd one later but I think it would make sense to be able to pick whichever seem most sensible at each point for RP.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate 2, Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale

purpleblob1

Princess

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

December 29th, 2021, 00:23
I saw Jonas' argument. I don't entirely agree but we must be a minority to be interested in crunching numbers - I rather call it freedom of RP and opportunity to balance offensive/defensive traits, for ex. with WIS, DEX, and so on - but that last one is for D&D and relatives, perhaps Viking's system only makes sense by min-maxing, from a stat point-of-view.
Yes, optimal stats for Viking are pretty obvious for each weapon type or "class". For frontline fighters who use axes, swords, or fight unarmed, you'll want to put most of your points into Strength & Endurance (i.e., Constitution but also increases shield block %). If using knives or spears, then you want to invest in Finesse instead of Strength. For archers you want to max out Perception. Sense is sort of like a combination of wisdom / charisma so it's most important for support skills, e.g., witchcraft.

So you have a bit of freedom in how exactly you want to break it down but not as much as with D&D, unless you want to deliberately make a character who isn't great at combat… Which actually may not be a horrible idea as I found the combat eventually becomes too easy, even on insane difficulty setting.

Originally Posted by purpleblob1 View Post
Also not happy about picking 1 of 3 rhetoric/persuasion system - I know the game stated you can pick 2nd one later but I think it would make sense to be able to pick whichever seem most sensible at each point for RP.
I guess there's pros and cons to whatever system they went with. If they made it like a persuasion skill check in D&D + Pf then there's going to be players unhappy with bad rolls (probably some insisting the RNG must be broken). Some will say it encourages them to reload for a better outcome. If you make it like AoD & Shadowrun skill checks (hard requirement w/ no randomness) then people will say it tempts them to hoard points, reload, & put in another point until they pass the check.

What they're using here reminds me of Shadowrun Returns etiquette system, except you can only start out specializing in 1 out of 3. If you could use all of them I suppose it'd make things too easy. This way there's a tradeoff and arguably a bit of replay value.

That said, I think I'd prefer numerical skill checks even with the "temptation to save scum".. Some RPG players really need to work on our willpower. I'm trying to play cRPGs without reloading unless my character/s die.
Last edited by daveyd; December 29th, 2021 at 01:02.

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Expeditions: Rome - Gaul & Africa Trailer