If you ever wanted to try out DDO or LOTRO, you could try it now …

The only MMO I played recently is Star Wars - The Old Republic. You only have to sub once to get all the games content. You only get small penalties after unsubscribing.

I did play the ESO and Fallout 76 games since I like the parent games so much. I still think a group doing their own thing from the very beginning would be best. I was going to give Kingdoms of Amalur a shot before that went sour quick.

As someone who plays DDO every week (we have our own site guild and several regular posters play often) I think someone had a bad experience several years ago and needs to re-visit the current game. I rarely spend any real money and what I have spent over many years has been worthwhile; the value is there. If anyone wants to join our regularly scheduled games just post a message in our Team Corwin thread and we'll share all the details. :)

I tried it back in the day. DDO.
I'd rather sell everything I have and go broke by buying lootboxes on the phone than pay a single dime in DDO.

Thanks Corwin but I had much more fun with LoL where I didn't have to schedule anything, just enter and go blind matches.
It is in the past now though, mmos are just not my thing.

I'm sure the old folks home that plays DDO together have a great time, but I don't do other people. I'm in the isolation unit at the RPGWatch old folks home ;)

I have never really had a bad experience personally. I do remember playing an MMO that was indie way back in the day but I don't remember anything about it at all nowadays. Not even the name. I played ESO for a couple hundred hours and same with Fallout 76. Might go back to one of those at some point.

Well if the resurrect is the same like in LOTRO, I don't remember if there was a prompt, but in a lot of cases you have 2 options to pay for anything - paid currency and golds. It was added a few years back. But I didn't play DDO recently, so I don't know how it does feel there.
But I think Neverwinter with lootboxes popups was worse - I was trying again if I could play it and it was so desperate, I did uninstal really fast.
All MMOs except a few examples (for some reason those MMOs are doing well) are very abusive. Turbine was doing quite fine, but then it was sold to Daybreak Games the balance is more and more broken, but still I believe that those examples with armors are actions of unfriendly management/marketing department rather than a publisher - because later it turned into buy a new expansion or don't have a good armor set with a top level character. Which feels so desperate… Why they cannot make players happy and let them buy what they like? Instead they just make more and more strange decisions - btw those armor sets without procs (explained originally as OP for higher levels - how that does make sense?) had randomised armor score, so the heavy armor piece you acquired had suddenly lower armor rating than light armor - because of RNG. They did it after demand of certain group of players for "balance". How balanced it is? Everyone knew they cannot do it in that scale. And so on - another decision was changing Beorn from medium armor to heavy, because certain group demanded it to be a tank, so not only they got rid of an interesting alternative, but also I'm not sure if Beorn would wear iron. And aswell suddenly it was possible for them (they really did all the hard work) to change stats of all medium armors, so you couldn't wear it with beorning because they made it useless … They really made sure you cannot RP medium armored. It is more unfriendly than market predatory.
But I had the impression the management do understand and like DDO more, so I thought it is better there.

I'm sure the old folks home that plays DDO together have a great time, but I don't do other people. I'm in the isolation unit at the RPGWatch old folks home ;)
Get off my lawn, you damn kid!

I play DDO for its setting, which I find unique. That's the only reason for me why I had been buying all of these "adventure packs".
There is little - far too little for my personal taste - of real social interaction with NOCs, though. It largely plays as a hack & slay game - wit the exception of the traps. To have a trapper in a group is a "must-have" in higher difficulty settings. Except when the own character has so great reflexes to be faster than any trap, so to say … As I always say . "Nothing is as satisfying than being able to disarm traps …"

My favourite example regarding Eberron is the fact that there are elven, halfing, dwarven etc. pirates in it !

Plus the so-called "living constructs", which boil down to be some kinds of robots, but they are - in this setting - living beings, based on the fact that there partly consist of "ölifewood", which is wood which lives on even after being chopped off a tree, or so I understand that. Their body models within the game are imho ugly, though.

I can see the argument that it is a "selling game", though. As an F2P, without having bought any of the so-called "adventure packs", any questgiver pointing towards not-yet-bought packs has a red s<ymbol overhis head, indicating that this adventure pack has to be bought.

Regarding the reincarnation : As with most things, one can grind that as well, without having to pay too much money.
And . Not everybody does it, in fact. Most do it, because they have been playing the game for so long, but I didn't so far, for example.

There is a noticeable power gap between those who never do this and those whose characters did that several times over, though.

Regarding F2P, by the way : Since somewhen this year or last year, F2P playewrs playing SWTOR can FINALLY give in bug tickets, too !

Until December, 31st, the quest packs are still free/gratis with this code : https://ddo.com/en/ThankYou
Expansions are very cheap right now.

Last chance :

Bonus Extension for Free Coupon and 15th Anniversary!
Thu, 06 Jan 2022 20:08:39 +0000
We are giving people one last chance to redeem two of our best coupons! Now through January 13th (11:59pm Eastern, -5 GMT) use the coupon code DDOQUESTS2021 to get all of our currently available adventure packs for free! Also, use the Coupon Code HAPPY15DDO to get our 15th Anniversary Gifts! If you've already used these coupon codes they will not be redeemable again. 1/Account.

Quote from the official web page :

This is your FINAL WEEKEND to redeem the DUNGEONCRAWL coupon code!
Fri, 21 Apr 2023 21:28:33 +0000
Get a ton of quests for free and find select expansions in the DDO Store for just 99 points! Read more on DDO.com - available through April 23rd!

This is a good way to play the game without having to pay for the quest packs extra. Except expansions, but 99 the price of "Points" for them is just greatly cheap.

More info there : https://www.ddo.com/news/ddo-free-dungeoncrawl

If you ever wanted to play / try out DDO : There is a new in-game "coupon code" , available 1 time per account : https://www.ddo.com/news/ddo-free-dungeoncrawl-2024
Valid until February, 11th (see below).

We would like to thank you for supporting us! Now through 11:59pm Eastern (-5 GMT) on Sunday, February 11th, 2024 you can enter a special Coupon Code through Redeem Code in the DDO Store in-game to unlock a trove of quests, raids, and adventure packs for free! This content will be permanently added to your account. EVERYONE can redeem the code, whether you are a free player, Premium, or VIP!

The Coupon Code is: FREEDDO2024 (1/Account, available to redeem through 11:59pm Eastern (-5 GMT) on Sunday, February 11th, 2024)

Back
Top Bottom