Solasta - New Year Dev Stream - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Solasta - New Year Dev Stream

Default Solasta - New Year Dev Stream

January 13th, 2022, 21:22
Tactical Adventures held a stream today on Twitch with Q&A.

More information.

Redglyph

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
+1:

January 13th, 2022, 21:23
Someone mentioned something about taking notes, if I see a transcription somewhere I'll post it.

Redglyph

SasqWatch

January 13th, 2022, 22:58
I for one would certainly appreciate that, and I promise to read each and every word if it shows up!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)

January 13th, 2022, 23:15
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I for one would certainly appreciate that, and I promise to read each and every word if it shows up!
Likewise.

vanedor

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

January 14th, 2022, 02:42
Someone on their Discord summed up major revelations:

* new DLC is expected in the next few months
* new DLC will not have a new race or class & will not increase the level cap
* new DLC will be an all new adventure similar to the main campaign; not necessarily a sequel/prequel, but a new area of the world
* there will be additions to the character creator on the gameplay side
* next major additions to the Dungeon Maker seem to be planned to be custom dialogue and custom quests systems

Sounds like there will be new environment/s for the DM too.

“Cannot confirm nor deny that official multiplayer could happen.”

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

January 14th, 2022, 06:00
Originally Posted by daveyd View Post
* new DLC will be an all new adventure similar to the main campaign; not necessarily a sequel/prequel, but a new area of the world
Nice. Is there any mention of whether we use the same party or create a new one?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)

January 14th, 2022, 08:42

* new DLC is expected in the next few months
* there will be additions to the character creator on the gameplay side
* next major additions to the Dungeon Maker seem to be planned to be custom dialogue and custom quests systems

Sounds like there will be new environment/s for the DM too.

“Cannot confirm nor deny that official multiplayer could happen.”
Thanks. Great news!

vanedor

Keeper of the Watch

January 14th, 2022, 09:22
Interesting. Just finished the game this week.

Not sure if I'm in it for any DLC but I would definitely purchase any sequel they produce.

Feist

Sentinel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Default Dev Stream Recap (by Mastani)

January 14th, 2022, 17:29
Here is a written summary of yesterday's stream. Q&A in spoilers, because it's big.

January 2022 - Dev Stream Recap (by Mastani)

Hey there folks!

Thank you all for joining our Dev Stream yesterday, it's been a real blast chatting with you - we should definitely do this more often (as soon as we have more time)! For those who could unfortunately not be there, here is a VOD link for you: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1263120461

Additionally, thanks to a brave soul named Mastani, we have a recap of all questions & answers in text form as well! So if you don't feel like sitting through 2h of me going off tangents, here is all the juicy info in a bite-sized format.

Spoiler

Redglyph

SasqWatch

January 14th, 2022, 18:42
Thank you very much, and, as threatened, I read it all. /salute!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)

January 14th, 2022, 19:09
I'm finally playing this and enjoying it. As others have noted in the past, the battles are great, though for me the story and writing are pretty terrible. Still, a game I'm enjoying very much.

One thing I hadn't heard much on, but I think deserves praise, is the degree to which you can customize the difficulty. The ability to affect the balance of all the various dice rolls is awesome imo, giving players the ability to dial in whatever level of challenge suits them.

SSIGuy

An Islander Returned

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

January 15th, 2022, 03:00
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Nice. Is there any mention of whether we use the same party or create a new one?
Sounds to me like this would be intended for a new level one party.

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

January 15th, 2022, 05:57
He said there was no increase in level cap so I would assume that the new adventure DLC will be starting at level 1.

Terry

Sentinel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

January 15th, 2022, 07:29
Right, it's entirely possible to reach the cap (12) by the end of the main campaign.

Also from what I hear relatively few players actually complete games (in general). I've played Solasta quite a bit, but technically didn't complete the main campaign yet as I got caught up in playing custom campaigns and making my own for the community contests. A lot of people criticized the main campaign for being very linear and railroaded at times, a bit predictable. Some have said there's already community made adventures that are better…

So making a DLC campaign that was intended for a party that completed the main campaign probably wouldn't be wise from a business perspective.

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

+1:

January 15th, 2022, 10:39
I played and completed the main campaign in December I found the storyline to be fine. There weren't a bunch of branching paths where you could have five different endings or anything like that but I don't think that was ever an expectation with the game at least not for me.

I maxed out at L12 by the end but needed it to finish the final battle as it was the hardest one in the game. At the end I had 1 character left standing.

I am looking forward to a new adventure DLC as I don't think I would replay the main campaign again with different characters. And since I got the game on GOG I don't have easy access to custom content like from the Steam work shop so I am done with it until they make something new.

Terry

Sentinel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

January 15th, 2022, 13:31
Many aspects of Solasta are far from perfect, but what I like about it is, that it doesnt actually feel unfinished, but rather as outcome of intentional compromises. To me its saying competent development and resource management and if that assumption is right, future of Solasta should be bright.

Andrew23

Keeper of the Watch

January 16th, 2022, 16:25
That is somewhat disappointing to me. I think the new DLC adventure would be cooler if it took place after the content of the main campaign with the same characters, so you could level them up beyond level 12. You know, how old DLCs (back then called expansions) used to be…

Anyway, I hope that at least they increase the party size with this new campaign.

gabrielarantest

Stubborn Dwarf

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

January 16th, 2022, 16:32
Right, it's entirely possible to reach the cap (12) by the end of the main campaign.

Also from what I hear relatively few players actually complete games (in general).

So making a DLC campaign that was intended for a party that completed the main campaign probably wouldn't be wise from a business perspective.
Are you saying that because most players don't complete the main campaign, making a DLC that continues the main campaign doesn't make sense? I don't think I agree with you. DLCs that continue the story the main campaign usually have the option to create a new high-level character for the DLC, so everyone can enjoy it.

gabrielarantest

Stubborn Dwarf

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

January 16th, 2022, 17:09
Hm, I'm wondering about that. What's the ratio of players who finished the campaign? I've uninstalled it and the Steam page doesn't help with achievements. Or they didn't have one for completing the game. Anyway, I'd bet it's not higher than 30-35%.

On the other hand, people who haven't completed the game are unlikely to buy any DLC so they don't really count, unless it's a case of poor original campaign like NWN.

What I'm convinced is that a DLC should offer an option to start from scratch with new levelled-up characters and not force the player to start from a saved game of a completed game (if that even exists in Solata). That's what ATOM Trudograd does and it's a good formula.

Redglyph

SasqWatch

January 16th, 2022, 18:17
I'm fine with a new adventure starting at LVL 1. D&D is at its best from LVL 4-7. Continuing a high-level adventure would also be fun with the new spells and skills.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Solasta - New Year Dev Stream