Outer Worlds (late to party thread) - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Outer Worlds (late to party thread)

Default Outer Worlds (late to party thread)

January 27th, 2022, 16:39
Hi all,

As I just finished Greedfall, the Outer Worlds is next on my list to play.
Does anyone think the DLC are really key to a good experience or will vanilla be fun enough ?

I have it on the Game Pass but it excludes the DLC.
I tend to not enjoy overlong games, but if some of the DLC makes the game much better, I would be tempted to just buy on Steam as they do have a sale going on.

Also, any beginner tips ?

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)

January 27th, 2022, 17:04
The DLC are good, but they're just more of the same. Hang onto a late save and get the DLC if you end up liking the game to play more of it.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
+1:

January 27th, 2022, 23:36
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
Also, any beginner tips ?
The game is so easy you really don't need any tips. You'll always have more loot and ammo than you need.

I guess my only advice is to enjoy the game for what it is. Don't expect a FO:NV type experience or you'll be disappointed like I was.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)

January 29th, 2022, 18:07
I went with a melee build, but looking at how combat works it seems to me like it may be a bad idea. Any thoughts?

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

January 29th, 2022, 19:07
https://www.thegamer.com/the-outer-w…-tricks-ideas/

I think any build is viable in TOW. Ranged is more fun though imo.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

January 29th, 2022, 19:37
I'm nearly done and it's merely "OK". Somewhat repetitive, not a ton of depth to it. Combat gets to be simplistic and easy - no real tactics needed, although I only played at the normal difficulty level which in hindsight was a mistake. Not a "AAA" game by any means, more like "AA". Only way I'll get the DLCs is if they are dirt cheap. That said, I liked it just enough to keep going and finish it.

KingKragen

Traveler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1:

January 29th, 2022, 23:10
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
I went with a melee build, but looking at how combat works it seems to me like it may be a bad idea. Any thoughts?
Yes, I think that's a bad idea. I almost wrote a comment to that effect when you first asked for tips, to not play a melee build. I tried doing so with my second character and it wasn't viable or fun.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)

January 30th, 2022, 02:30
The first DLC was a bit combat heavy for my liking but the second one is much better. It has a nice self-contained area to explore with plenty of npcs to talk to and a reasonable main quest.
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

January 30th, 2022, 04:35
Originally Posted by KingKragen View Post
Combat gets to be simplistic and easy - no real tactics needed, although I only played at the normal difficulty level which in hindsight was a mistake.
I played on Hard difficulty, and the combat wasn't any better. The only difference is that enemies are bullet sponges and take longer to kill.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

January 31st, 2022, 11:18
Thanks all. I'm probably going to stick it out mostly with maybe using heavy weapons to start off combat and then smashing people. Indoors I've had no issues, but it's the big outdoor areas that are harder to manage.

Game is quite fun for now. I obviously will go against the evil corporations, but who knows where that will lead.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

February 4th, 2022, 13:17
I've been playing throughout the week and quite enjoying it. I feel the combat is pretty weak element of the game though.

The world building and the stories aren't bad, but not amazing either. Some of the subquests are interesting and other are alright.

The quirky humour is not something I would normally enjoy but it seems to me like it's just at that limit where its not too quirky in most cases. The guy wearing a moon hat for example was too much but at the same time that doesn't happen too often.

For now I'm enjoying it still. Not certain I will end up finishing everything but we'll see. Still a good change from all the turn based games I was playing.

Oh yeah, the melee combat isn't too bad anymore now that I have better armour and I better understand the weapon types.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Outer Worlds (late to party thread)