Ubuntu with KDE or Kubuntu

KDE's terrible these days. I wouldn't use it unless you have a really good reason to - and I can't think of what that reason would be. I used it religiously for almost 25 years (from its creation in 1996, up until just a few years ago) but it's really gone to shit. Final straw for me was a pretty huge bug I had a ticket in for, it is/was acknowledged, but never fixed over the course of about a year. In the process of trying to get it sorted out / fixed, one of the (at the time) better-known KDE devs actually contacted me in private and said that nobody would ever fix that bug, because he was the only person remaining in the project who had the knowledge to fix it, and he was leaving the KDE project that very week, because he saw it as a dead/failed project.

I moved to Xfce, which I'd recommend. MATE and Cinnamon aren't bad either. GNOME 3 is an abomination.

KDE vs Gnome vs Others? - Frankly, I don't care . As long as an interface lets me do what I want and looks OK, I'm fine. I'm sure that there are better window systems out there, but I don't bother looking for them. Although I may, based on recommendations try Xfce (so thanks for the suggestions). Some time in the future.

My question in the OP was mostly a technical one, but I expected (and welcome) suggestions for other systems. But as said, I don't have any immediate need for leaving KDE and Gnome 3 (with Cinnamon).

pibbuR who (nitpicking mode on) personally reserves words like "travesty" for things (he considers) more important than most pieces of software. (nitpicking mode off) :)

PS. Another Linux joke:
Daddy, what are clouds made of?
Linux servers, mostly.

It is BTW fascinating how Linux, which started as a one man project back in '91 now has become a very important part of modern computing. Even supercomputers now use Linux as the OS.
DS.

PPS. I don't think I'll try MATE, I fear that one is mostly for Aussies. DS

Last edited:
KDE's terrible these days. I wouldn't use it unless you have a really good reason to - and I can't think of what that reason would be. I used it religiously for almost 25 years (from its creation in 1996, up until just a few years ago) but it's really gone to shit. Final straw for me was a pretty huge bug I had a ticket in for, it is/was acknowledged, but never fixed over the course of about a year. In the process of trying to get it sorted out / fixed, one of the (at the time) better-known KDE devs actually contacted me in private and said that nobody would ever fix that bug, because he was the only person remaining in the project who had the knowledge to fix it, and he was leaving the KDE project that very week, because he saw it as a dead/failed project.

I moved to Xfce, which I'd recommend. MATE and Cinnamon aren't bad either. GNOME 3 is an abomination.
That's bad news. :( KDE was doing great except a confusion due to some redundancy left in the configuration panels (at least in openSUSE), but overall a solid choice. I haven't used it in a while, so it's sad to hear about that.

GNOME since version 3 isn't for everyone indeed, I don't mind a desktop environment that is a little more "complicated" to use but which lets me do what I want. It reminded me the Apple philosophy a little bit, and sure enough, the latest GNOME versions seem to look like macOS (I suppose one can configure that differently, at least). So I suppose my gripe is subjective and mostly with the window manager.

From my little experience, if you don't want to start digging into the configuration files, the safest way is to use one of the default desktops offered by the distribution. It's been tested by more people, and there's more doc and support.

On the other way, digging into the OS files is what Linux is all about, and that's the best way to learn it, even if it's daunting sometimes.

For example I've used Manjaro lately, which is great except the package management, but the Arch User Repository is nice to have. It comes with Xfce (that I'd recommend), KDE or GNOME. Community Editions come with Cinnamon, MATE and other things - like Deepin for anyone who'd dare touching that.

Mint is a very user-friendly distribution last time I checked. It offers by default Cinnamon, MATE and Xfce, all great choices. If I had to be Ubuntu-related, I'd choose one of those.

To be honest, the choice of DE becomes less and less important to me in comparison to the package management, the available repositories and the general state of the distribution.

Well. I got problems. With the Kubuntu installation. It wouldn't boot. Sometimes.

That's not entirely true. It booted, but not into any user interface. Unless you consider an all black screen with (possibly) all black and unrespoinsive icons an UI. So i had to use the swedish button and reboot it, a procedure a Linux system (and therefore also me) sometimes is not enitrely happy with.

I don't know what caused it, may have something to do with switching between single and dual monitors. I didn't do much to find out, and installed good ol' Ubuntu with Gnome3/Cinnamon, possibly as a temporary solution. As I think I've said, after learning all there is to know about Ubuntu, I may switch to something completely different like Suse.

pibbuR who now again has to spend time configuring the system, which he actually thinks is fun.

PS. Three Linux jokes today (slightly modified by yours truly):

Q: The box says 'Requires Windows 10 or better'. What do you do?
A: Install Linux.

Q: Why can't the devil infect a Linux system?
A: Because 666 is not executable

Q: In computing, what's the only way to generate a truly random string?
A: Put a Windows user in front of vi and tell him to quit.

DS

Well. I got problems. With the Kubuntu installation. It wouldn't boot. Sometimes.

That's not entirely true. It booted, but not into any user interface. Unless you consider an all black screen with (possibly) all black and unrespoinsive icons an UI. So i had to use the swedish button and reboot it, a procedure a Linux system (and therefore also me) sometimes is not enitrely happy with.

No, you got an opportunity to learn (that's the Linux tao) :D

You shouldn't give up too quickly and ask for help if that happens again. There are a few people who know about Linux here, but that's the kind of problem I'd submit into their forums (after searching if anyone else already had it). I don't know about Kubuntu, but in other forums people are usually very helpful and tech-savvy.

You have a Swedish button? o_o That remembers me when I went to Sweden to work for a client and had to type on a weird keyboard for a few days. I loved the country by the way, beautiful and so peaceful!

My advice would be to stick with Ubuntu if you've already found a good book to learn from. You can still make your own mind and change later.

This little graph may be helpful to visualize the big families (or not). Distrowatch is a good source of information.

No, you got an opportunity to learn (that's the Linux tao) :D

You shouldn't give up too quickly and ask for help if that happens again. There are a few people who know about Linux here, but that's the kind of problem I'd submit into their forums (after searching if anyone else already had it). I don't know about Kubuntu, but in other forums people are usually very helpful and tech-savvy.
Oh, but I do (seek help). Lots of useful info on the net in general and in particular here. Hence the OP.

But sometimes, a quick and dirty solution is ... well ... when I don't bother ... good enough.
You have a Swedish button? o_o That remembers me when I went to Sweden to work for a client and had to type on a weird keyboard for a few days. I loved the country by the way, beautiful and so peaceful!
The swedish button=the on-off button. Or in windows, Ctrl-Alt-Delete. Part of the (mostly) friendly insults echanged between the Nordic countries. I assume that the Swedes have a Norwegian button.

My advice would be to stick with Ubuntu if you've already found a good book to learn from. You can still make your own mind and change later.
Yepp. For the moment it's ?Ubuntu. But I wouldn't be surprised if I eventually switch to Suse. Suse was the first Linux I tried, and I'm still kind of fond of it.

This little graph may be helpful to visualize the big families (or not). Distrowatch is a good source of information.

pibbuR who says thanks.

PS. Not a Linux joke this time, but a friendly Nordic insult, this time, for fairness reasons, told from the perspective of a Swede.

On Arlanda, the airport outside Stockholm. "Plane for London, due for departure at 17:30. Go to gate.". "Plane for Berlin, due for departure at 17:45. Go to gate.". "Plane for Oslo will leave when the long hand points right up, and the short hand points right down".

DS.

PPS. My main linux machine is on my LAN known as "Sinux", because that one has a mathematical/scientific theme. The Linux installation of my 2-1 is "Archaeopteryx" - lots of biology and extinct things on that one. When it's booting in Windows it's "Haloarcula", a single-cell species of the archae domain, with a rather unusual square shape. DS

I didn't go that far up North unfortunately, only saw pictures from a friend.

Here, after Norse mythology I switched to Greek mythology for names. I was hoping it would help remembering which god did what, but that didn't work.

(do continue with the jokes, they're great! :lol:)

I didn't go that far up North unfortunately, only saw pictures from a friend.

Here, after Norse mythology I switched to Greek mythology for names. I was hoping it would help remembering which god did what, but that didn't work.

(do continue with the jokes, they're great! :lol:)

Astronomy is your friend, since lots of things including has-beens like Pluto are named after greek/roman deities and surrounding entities.

pibbur who admits that the asteroid 6042 Cheshirecat (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6042_Cheshirecat) is not named after a deity.

Back
Top Bottom