Disco Elysium - Final Cut with full Voice Acting

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Disco Elysium - The Final Cut will be available tomorrow, the game features full voice acting and a few other enhancements:

Buy Disco Elysium with 20% off in the BAFTA Awards 2021 Sale!

Disco Elysium is now 20% off as part of the BAFTA Awards 2021 sale. We were honoured to receive three awards for Disco Elysium last year, for Debut Game, Music, and Narrative. Now our award-winning game can be yours with 20% off. Get it now!

But you won't just be getting the original game at this discounted price. Buy today and you'll be upgraded to Disco Elysium - The Final Cut at no extra cost on March 30th, 2021!

If you don't already know, Disco Elysium - The Final Cut is the definitive edition of the groundbreaking role playing game. That means you get all of the following extras with your purchase:

• Full English Voice Over
  • New Political Vision Quests
  • New Characters
  • New Clothes
  • New Cutscenes
  • Full Controller Support
  • + more!
More information.

I think the offer ended today (at least in my country), but it's still -20% on GOG for 6 more days :)

Who's going to (re)play in its Final Cut version? I certainly will, but maybe not right now.

Assuming it has all the extra content, this is likely the version I'll pick up, as I've not played this yet. It's discouraging to see them waste money on voice acting, but people will do what they will, I suppose. I'd rather see those funds go to more content myself.

Assuming it has all the extra content, this is likely the version I'll pick up, as I've not played this yet. It's discouraging to see them waste money on voice acting, but people will do what they will, I suppose. I'd rather see those funds go to more content myself.
The deal has always been that the upgrade to Final Cut was free for everyone, so yes, that's the version with voice-acting and all the extra content :)

This is one of those rare games where I didn't feel distracted or (too) slowed down by voice acting. They did a great job, but yeah, I honestly feel like BG1/2 got it right, even if unintentionally. In BG1/2, you'd get the first sentence or so voice acted, which was enough to get the character's tone and personality, and then you could read the rest at your own speed.

This is one of those rare games where I didn't feel distracted or (too) slowed down by voice acting. They did a great job, but yeah, I honestly feel like BG1/2 got it right, even if unintentionally. In BG1/2, you'd get the first sentence or so voice acted, which was enough to get the character's tone and personality, and then you could read the rest at your own speed.

Agreed with regards to BG1/2 voice acting. That is honestly all I need to get the flavour of a conversation. The rest I read at my own pace.

BG (only played the 1st) always felt strange to me because the spoken text doesn't match the written text, sometimes the opposite in fact. At first I thought it was a bug, then I learned to ignore the spoken line. I find it more distracting than helpful to be honest.

A good balance is spoken dialogs for the main quests only, it emphasizes the importance of those dialogs, usually involves the same voices during the whole game so we get to know them and it's not "new" voices all the time (or a same actor doesn't have to force his/her voice to sound like different people, which was the problem in Oblivion). It also allows the player to read the other parts more quickly if desired.

BG (only played the 1st) always felt strange to me because the spoken text doesn't match the written text, sometimes the opposite in fact. At first I thought it was a bug, then I learned to ignore the spoken line. I find it more distracting than helpful to be honest.

A good balance is spoken dialogs for the main quests only, it emphasizes the importance of those dialogs, usually involves the same voices during the whole game so we get to know them and it's not "new" voices all the time (or a same actor doesn't have to force his/her voice to sound like different people, which was the problem in Oblivion). It also allows the player to read the other parts more quickly if desired.

I suppose there are more then few concrete ways how to do it. First line spoken. Or main quest-line spoken. Or parts of main quest line + bigger side quests spoken. Etc.

But generally said Im supporting opinion that partial or even symbolic amount of voice over is suitable for text heavy RPGs. Plainly said, in text heavy games I prefer reading over listening.

For long passages of text, I find that full voice recordings actually make it more difficult to understand what is being presented.

I've already played about 5 hours of the final cut and it is a joy to listen to if you are willing to slow down a bit. I have already completed the non final cut version. The only real dissappointment I had was the voice actress for Klaasje seems inferior to the original VA. I'm really not sure why the changed the actress when they already had the perfect VA, i'm guessing it was because the original might not of been available.

Even if you are not listening to the speech, speed readers who just click through dialogs as soon as they get the general gist of what the person is saying (how I normally play) aren't going to get the most out of the game.

Back
Top Bottom