What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Yeah, John's not a class act yet, but he is a current hot ticket and hot prospect. He did some serious acting work prior to Star Wars, but he's clearly still a rookie.

Whether he can ever get back to serious acting work after the Star Wars cloud of ultra-recognition remains to be seen.

Are any of those 'comedies' even great within their own sub-genre though? As in regarded as great comedies or great pot movies?

The only two good James Franco movies I can remember are Pineapple Express, which was a hilarious comedy, and 127 hours, which was quite intense. But I'm not sure if it had anything to do with James Franco playing the lead.

Out of the actors you mentioned above, I used to have great respect for Tom Hanks, as far as an actor goes. And maybe I still respect him as an actor. But as a human being, with a spine, he's fallen quite a lot in my eyes ever since I've seen he's a Hollywood yes-man.

He played in the Post, a movie about the Pentagon Papers, and their leaker Daniel Ellsberg. And during some press interview Hanks was asked about Ellsberg, and he said he had great respect for him, for what he did for his country. And then the interviewer turned the question to what his opinion was of Snowden. And he weaseled out a bullshit answer, that if I remember correctly pretty much condemned him for what he leaked. Even though Ellsberg, in constant interviews, names Snowden and Assange as among the most important leakers/journalists of our time.

Now, whether he truly believes that or he's just a spineless weasel that doesn't want to burn his Hollywood bridges, doesn't really matter to me. I've lost a lot respect for him after that.

Now, usually I'm able to separate the art from the artist, but in this case, for some reason, I couldn't.

I thought that Pineapple Express and This Is the End had plenty of laughs, if you're in a laughing mood. Danny McBride just killed me in the latter.

James Franco himself I don't find a particularly good actor. He's fine if you stick him in the right role, but I don't find he brings much to the table.

Last edited:
The only two good James Franco movies I can remember are Pineapple Express, which was a hilarious comedy, and 127 hours, which was quite intense. But I'm not sure if it had anything to do with James Franco playing the lead.

Out of the actors you mentioned above, I used to have great respect for Tom Hanks, as far as an actor goes. And maybe I still respect him as an actor. But as a human being, with a spine, he's fallen quite a lot in my eyes ever since I've seen he's a Hollywood yes-man.

He played in the Post, a movie about the Pentagon Papers, and their leaker Daniel Ellsberg. And during some press interview Hanks was asked about Ellsberg, and he said he had great respect for him, for what he did for his country. And then the interviewer turned the question to what his opinion was of Snowden. And he weaseled out a bullshit answer, that if I remember correctly pretty much condemned him for what he leaked. Even though Ellsberg, in constant interviews, names Snowden and Assange as among the most important leakers/journalists of our time.

Now, whether he truly believes that or he's just a spineless weasel that doesn't want to burn his Hollywood bridges, doesn't really matter to me. I've lost a lot respect for him after that.

Now, usually I'm able to separate the art from the artist, but in this case, for some reason, I couldn't.
127 hours was good. I'd forgotten that one.

I thought that Pineapple Express and This Is the End had plenty of laughs, if you're in a laughing mood. Danny McBride just killed me in the latter.

James Franco himself I don't find a particularly good actor. He's fine if you stick him in the right role, but I don't find he brings much to the table.
He's good at playing a role where he can use his good looks and charming smile. But I've never seen him as a great actor.

Are any of those 'comedies' even great within their own sub-genre though? As in regarded as great comedies or great pot movies?

In terms of comedy he's not even on Adam Sandler's level, let alone Jim Carrey? And in terms of pot movies he's not even close to Cheech and Chong or the afore-mentioned Seth Rogan?

No, not great, but they are good enough at what they do.

I think he's played in better comedy movies (of the ones I've seen) than Adam Sandler, but I think Adam sandler is funnier and the better actor and

Jim Carrey can do some really solid acting and is one of few comedians I remember who has actually been able to transition from pure comedy to other genres and then stay there.

Seth Rogen is on par with James Franco in my opinion: Alright at acting in comedies. I believe he and Franco have a great eye for what can be funny and finding great premises for laughs. I believe there's a lot of funny movies from them still to come and maybe even some really great comedies.

Cheech and Chong did one absurdly funny and one funny pot movie, but the rest is not that interesting. Up in smoke is still really funny, even though it's so old (even young pot smokers seem to find it really funny). They were not very good actors, but they knew how to goof around and make pot related stuff really spot on (if exaggerated) and very, very funny to pot smokers.

I actually bought Happy Gilmore (apparently a classic Adam Sandler comedy) on Blu-ray, a little while ago, which I've yet to watch. I think I'll enjoy it, but I'm not sure if I should watch it with or without my wife. What do you guys think?

A somewhat off-topic follow up on actors and their movies

blade_runner.png

An incarnation of pibbur who, seemingly unlike (most) participants in this thread, has problems remembering who plays who in what movies (directed by who). In addition to other things he doesn't remember…

has problems remembering who plays who in what movies (directed by who).
And that's how it should be.

One reason is that mainstream media tends to push names that are completely irrelevant and one hit wonders at best.
Another reason is that it's hard and sometimes imposible to remember names that came from another culture.

And that's how it should be.

One reason is that mainstream media tends to push names that are completely irrelevant and one hit wonders at best.
Another reason is that it's hard and sometimes imposible to remember names that came from another culture.

Thanks. I must say I had no idea who mr Franco was until I saw his picture.

An incarnation of pibbur who realizes (after consulting W) that he has apparently seen him in an Alien film.

Prospect

I guess this is the most recent movie I've watched. Quite liked it, I must say.

I found it well done in terms of production values versus a limited budget.

The girl protagonist was convincing - and Pascal was great for his role.

Just a nice little sci-fi flick.

Thanks. I must say I had no idea who mr Franco was until I saw his picture.

An incarnation of pibbur who realizes (after consulting W) that he has apparently seen him in an Alien film.

Yeah, he was actually in Alien: Covenant for about 10 minutes. Not sure how him and Danny McBride got cast in that, but they were a odd fit imo.

I mean, I'm quite the film buff, not to the extent of some, but I do take notice of a lot of films, and yet I'd struggle to come up with a top 5 James Franco films, let alone a top 10, and I'd have even less success in naming even one Franco movie that is obviously a great film.

So after most of us who regularly read and reply to this thread have chimed in on James Franco, we have indeed just about struggled to come up with a top 5:

127 Hours (7.5)
The Disaster Artist (7.4)
Pineapple Express (6.9)
This Is The End (6.6)
The Interview (6.5)

+ an uncredited almost-cameo / bit part from Alien: Covenant (6.4)

In which three are what people would probably more likely refer to as Seth Rogan movies - as he's the writer, director and star, or variable thereof. One was advertised more as the latest Danny Boyle directed movie & the The Room cash-in thingy.

Looking at his IMDB though, he has 147 acting credits, 39 directing credits, and 25 writing credits (although a lot of the writing credits are 'shorts', which most human beings will never see) over a 24 year career, most of which as an A-list celeb with regards to the celeb'o'sphere talking shops.

Browsing his IMDB I now realise he was top billing in 2011's Rise of the Planet of the Apes - and yet this never registered in my memory.

He also played Harry Osborn in the three Sam Raimi Spiderman films in the early 2000s - not really top billing here though, so easily forgotten.

Do you think there are people out there who do James Franco 'binges' and excitedly watch everything he does? I dunno, I really struggled to find anything uniquely 'Franco' even in 147 credits. And very little I even knew existed.

Yeah, he was actually in Alien: Covenant for about 10 minutes. Not sure how him and Danny McBride got cast in that, but they were a odd fit imo.

The main protagonist was an even worse fit.

I can't immediately recall a less convincing "strong warrior" type of person.

I had to look him up as his name didn’t ring a bell. Saw his picture and it was still very silent. Checked the list of movies he was supposed to be in and almost seen none of them (I did not watch the top 5 that was listed here either). Of the ones I did see I can’t remember him being in it, so either I am forgetful or he is just not a very memorable actor.
I don’t exclude that both are actually true.

I should mention Another Round, which I also saw recently.

Best film I've seen in years, I think.

Mikkelsen once again demonstrates why his acting flows so, so much better when he's not struggling with a foreign language.

Ending is pretty much perfection, as well.

Definitely 9/10 for me.

Vinterberg just can't seem to disappoint.

Druk is one of those movies I refuse to watch even if it turns out to be a cure for cancer.

Riders of Justice on the other hand is still not available here. :mad:

I should mention Another Round, which I also saw recently.

Best film I've seen in years, I think.

Mikkelsen once again demonstrates why his acting flows so, so much better when he's not struggling with a foreign language.

Ending is pretty much perfection, as well.

Definitely 9/10 for me.

Vinterberg just can't seem to disappoint.
I've been considering watching that one. Mikkelsen is a good actor and I really liked the trailer and premise.

A somewhat off-topic follow up on actors and their movies

blade_runner.png

An incarnation of pibbur who, seemingly unlike (most) participants in this thread, has problems remembering who plays who in what movies (directed by who). In addition to other things he doesn't remember…
Wow, I looked up Daryl Hannah and found that she was in both Blade Runner and Kill Bill. I love both movies but was never aware of that. She obviously is a well received theatre actress too. Great woman!

I had to look him up as his name didn’t ring a bell. Saw his picture and it was still very silent. Checked the list of movies he was supposed to be in and almost seen none of them (I did not watch the top 5 that was listed here either). Of the ones I did see I can’t remember him being in it, so either I am forgetful or he is just not a very memorable actor.
I don’t exclude that both are actually true.
He's mostly well known among youngish pot heads who also enjoy comedies. And probably some people who like his looks too.

Back
Top Bottom