Within the Cosmos - February Development Update

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Henriquejr spotted February development update for the Scifi-RPG Within the Cosmos:

February 2021: Development Update

Scanning, Hacking, Crime, new GIFs & screenshots!

Hi again everyone! Since the community update I posted in January, I've been really eager to post a more informative community update for all of you, getting more into specifics about the game, rather than just talking about the current state that it's in.

Today, I will be showcasing two important aspects of the game, which are, Scanning Mode & Crime. Each one presented unique challenges for me, but I finally feel like they're both in a place that I am happy with.

Let's start with...

Scanning
Here's how it works:
Upon entering scanning mode, your weapons will be holstered, and you'll be able to see everything near you that can be hacked, as well as any related upgrades that you've made to your scanner. Hacking can only be done while in scanning mode, and will use up some of your suits energy. How much energy the hacking will use is displayed when you look at the item you want to hack.

Hacking
Hacking was one aspect I was debating on how to handle while I was developing the game. I wondered if it would be best to have a mix of quickhacks & a hacking mini-game for certain things. I created a few different mini-games for the hacking aspect but none of them ever felt "right" to me. At the end, I decided that hacking should be determined strictly by your characters skill level (skill check), as opposed to it being determined by skill level and then also requiring you to complete a mini-game. So in turn, the only hacking in the game are quickhacks. Here are some of the quickhacks offered in the game:

Some places in the game are restricted, and as expected, these areas have some security measures in place to prevent and catch trespassers. Disabling security cameras in these locations will allow you to pass by the area that the camera is surveilling without being detected.

[...]

More information.

"I"? How can one guy make something like that?

Seems like the work of a studio with 100+ persons.

I've had this on my Steam wishlist since the first time it was posted about here. It does look a little too good to be true if it's really a one-man project. I'm keeping my expectations in check here.

Been following the game for years and yeah it's developed by one man with the help of part time contractors. Thanks for sharing @henriquejr; as I slowed down posting news.

I remember this chap being interviewed about his project, and he discussed how this was only possible with the use of all the assets available now. I think this is a really good example of assets being used properly - cutting down on the man hours required, but put together in an original way, not just copy-pasting demo levels.

I think he got it to a pretty impressive state, and then brought in some other skills. I don't know how it will turn out, but it's a good effort, IMO.

Been following the game for years and yeah it's developed by one man with the help of part time contractors. Thanks for sharing @henriquejr; as I slowed down posting news.

One has to admire those projects developed by one person only. I can't even wonder the gigantic amount of effort required to put such projects out of paper.

Back
Top Bottom