What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread - Page 244 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

November 10th, 2019, 02:41
Saw the new terminator - well it was fun - but most of the criticism i've heard is also valid. Sort of like the difference between playing a mindless fps or a well done rpg - every now and then the mindless fps is a lot of fun but dont' expect it to be a deep well done rpg

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

November 10th, 2019, 13:06
You sure are a trooper given the current internet outrage about the new terminator. Personally I knew it wasn't for me when the plot and cast was announced.

They should have stopped at terminator III.

So back on topic watched BumbleBee the Transformer spin-off. Yes I'm years behind in watching new movies and trying to catch up. It was an enjoyable pop-corn movie.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by
lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ― Robert Heinlein
Last edited by Couchpotato; November 10th, 2019 at 13:20.

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)

November 10th, 2019, 16:07
Joker. Wow, I was really mesmerized by this movie, something that happens so rarely these days. It does require the viewer to see it as a different universe though (which it is, but its easy to forget), because what makes sense to the characters in this world might not make too much sense to us.. Especially things like comedy and how crass people/shows are, it's very comic book-like in that sense.

The build up was much quicker than i expected. It was also way less depressing than i expected. Loved the tone of it and its easy to understand why they wanted Phoenix in every shot because he really is fantastic. It felt shorter than it is because of how straight forward it is. This origin story couldn't have been done better imo…. 10/10
--
Latest creations: Fallout NV: A Wasteland in Bloom / Fallout NV: WFO v3.2

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

November 10th, 2019, 20:11
Joker 8/10

I found it extremely uncomfortable to watch at first, but - as vurt said - it turns around relatively fast.

Still, it's definitely not going to be for everyone.

I was worried I wouldn't enjoy it because of the ridiculously overdone hype, but thankfully - that wasn't the case.

I don't think it's the best movie ever or anything, I just really enjoy superb performances - and, as expected, Joaquin owns the role.

Finally, we get a decent take on how the Joker came to be - and why his personality is so warped.

I never liked the character in the Dark Knight - as he seemed to be psychotic just because it was fun, with zero background info.

Personally, I think you'd get the best superhero movie in the world if you kept the tone of this film - and you kept the focus on the characters over the CGI and the spectacle.

I mean, you could keep the action sequences to a minimum and, by doing that, maximize their impact - until they were way more effective than the modern CGI fests of Marvel movies, where the end result is that you become immune and numb to it all.

I mean, the couple of situations where Joker goes mad in this movie are so much more impressive because you don't really expect them - and what's supposed to be shocking is genuinely shocking.

Batman Begins was reasonably close to the kind of film I'm talking about - but the sequels took the action too far. Don't even get me started on the Disney Marvel cartoons.

Maybe that's just me?

Anyway, this was a great watch - with a fine script and excellent music, too.

That said, it was a little derivative in certain ways - and it almost felt like a remake of Taxi Driver.

An interesting take, to be sure - but, apart from Joaquin - I didn't think the film stood out quite enough, except for finally being a superhero movie I could take seriously.

Well, apart from it not having any superheroes in it
Last edited by BriefDArt; November 10th, 2019 at 20:24.

BriefDArt

Watchdog

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

November 11th, 2019, 15:08
Joker was never superhero, but supervillain.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 148 Post(s)

November 11th, 2019, 15:17
Joker also had zero super powers except for plot-armour. While Batman himself isn't a super-hero either, having no innate super-abilities, he tends to have super-gadgets and clothing that convert him into a super-being, a bit like Iron-Man.

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

November 11th, 2019, 15:19
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Joker was never superhero, but supervillain.
That was rather the point, which you shockingly missed.

Joker also had zero super powers except for plot-armour. While Batman himself isn't a super-hero either, having no innate super-abilities, he tends to have super-gadgets and clothing that convert him into a super-being, a bit like Iron-Man.
From Wiki:

Batman is a fictional superhero appearing in American comic books published by DC Comics.

BriefDArt

Watchdog

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

November 11th, 2019, 15:33
Yes, we refer to him as a super-hero, just like we do Iron-Man, but neither have any innate super-powers. It's sort-of a thing that happened because Superman spearheaded the genre so people just started calling everyone who stars in a crime-fighting comic a super-hero. A bit like the term RPG, everything's a super-hero now

A superhero is a type of heroic stock character, usually possessing supernatural or superhuman powers, who is dedicated to fighting the evil of their universe, protecting the public, and usually battling super-villains.
But because of plot-armour, pretty much any fictional hero came to be called a super-hero, so everyone from Robin Hood to Sherlock Holmes would fit in the genre. However, some people don't like super-hero stuff and can only take interest in heroes if they're actually human, so many people will claim to "like Batman even though I don't like super-heores" because of this.

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread