Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Is there a mod that does away with the kingdom building? I loved the first chapter of the game and just got dreadfully bored once I got the stupid keep or whatever it was. What about timed quests? Is there a mod that does both?

The game itself has an auto-kingdom option. Enable it and no more kingdom management at all. No need for a mod when the game has its own option to remove it.

Not sure on the timed quests as it doesn't bother me so had no need to research it.

Is there a mod that does away with the kingdom building? I loved the first chapter of the game and just got dreadfully bored once I got the stupid keep or whatever it was. What about timed quests? Is there a mod that does both?

I think there's an option that says Automatic kingdom building and you don't have to worry about it.
Not 100% sure if you then just assign advisors or something.

I finally finished the game, btw.

A word of warning to anyone who makes it to the end: what you think is the end is actually the beginning of several quests. You'll think you're about to face the final big baddy, only to find you need to gather another bunch of somethings. (Though, to be fair, the last group of 3 somethings are directly along your path.)

Also, be sure to bring plenty of Diamond Dust around in the end game. I just pulled a big pile of it out of my common chest around half way through the game and pretty much forgot about it. Then I ran out with about 3 spawns to go! Facing Big Baddy without my communal stone armor made it a good bit harder.

I would actually advise against the DLC. Honestly, this game has TONS of content as is. I think it would be best to wait until you actually finish this monster and then buy the DLC if you want to play through a second time.

I'm playing through the game finally and enjoying it. I don't think rtwp is great but I don't think turnbased would make sense for this game as there are too many fights.

I am enjoying it but not sure I will last.

I thought I was halfway through and I think I'm still in chapter 2

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I happened to play one of my old videos from Divinity 2 when getting toward the end of this game and... hold on, my character has Nyrissa's voice! I looked up the voice actress (Amelia Tyler) looked into her list of game roles and found she also played Malady in Divinity: Original Sin 2.

Just finished the game…oh my. This has been without a doubt my most enojoyable gaming experience since…forever I guess. Extremely satisfying and actually fun the whole way through, can't say that about many 100hour+ games. I only wish you didn't get to keep all the companions for one playthrough, since I've already done all their quests replaying isn't quite as a tempting as it would be if I hadn't seen most of the content already.

I realize most around here don't care about graphics in a game like this. I still do myself though. This mod really makes a difference in the clarity of many textures, for anyone who might want it here is the link:

https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/171?

The 256 npc textures upped to 1024 and they were provided by Owlcat - Mortheim community manager.

What's going on with Octavia and Regongar?

I've just finished the Season of Bloom, and all the other characters have given me at least the first step of their personal quests, and a few have given me the second.

Nothing at all from Octavia and Reg. Is this normal? Is there a specific plot event later on that kicks off their quests, or have I messed something up?

https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/171?[/url]

The 256 npc textures upped to 1024 and they were provided by Owlcat - Mortheim community manager.

I started playing again yesterday after a half year hiatus due to a few game crippling bugs. Since all my mods stopped working I'm playing vanilla at the moment. Which mods are worth having with current version 2.08 besides this one?

I started playing again yesterday after a half year hiatus due to a few game crippling bugs. Since all my mods stopped working I'm playing vanilla at the moment. Which mods are worth having with current version 2.08 besides this one?

I haven't had any issues with my mods and I am on the most current version of the game. Was playing last night and its been good.

What mods are worth it is extremely relative :) But here are the ones I am using. Mostly visual related. The Bag of Tricks I use for visual as well - to make my character one size larger in scale and make my wolf look like a Worg. Oh and it also lets me name my animal companion with a personal name.

Can click if need full size for readability. Its just an image I threw up on Flickr.

Camera rotation FOR SURE!

I definitely liked the turn based mod. It really helped me understand what was going on in combat.

It's amusing that I ignored a side quest with Valerie for too long and now the Kingdom is falling apart with rioting in the villages. Heh.

It's amusing that I ignored a side quest with Valerie for too long and now the Kingdom is falling apart with rioting in the villages. Heh.

I'm not quite understanding what happened here.

Is this the one where you have to go to Temple of Shelyn? I vaguely recall that impacting kingdom mood

In general, its good to address companion quests asap.

Also, you can set kingdom difficulty to effortless without impacting overall game difficulty - DC checks are much lower on effortless to successfully deal with kingdom problems and opportunities.

So I played some 30 hours of this game before quitting, which is not bad by my standards, but I would like to summon the strength to actually finish the damn thing, particularly now that turn-based is in. So, some issues that I was hoping I could get help with:
  1. The big thing that ended up turning me off was leveling. I hate leveling in this game. Every time it's dozens of spells, dozens of feats, all of which sound equally unexciting even though I know picking the wrong one is liable to turn the game into an unplayable mess somewhere down the line. Multiply that for however many characters. Look, I'm not a minmaxer; I don't care for the whole 3.5/Pathfinder deal of planning your build twenty levels in advance, or having 90% of builds be traps for people who aren't interested in getting a PhD in crunchy tabletop systems. It turns leveling into a chore, and I don't know how to fix that other than lowering the difficulty (which I don't want to do, since the combat itself is fine and I didn't have much trouble with it), putting far more time into studying the Pathfinder ruleset than I care to, or looking up viable builds online--which feels like copying someone else's homework and doesn't really help make leveling any less cumbersome.
  2. Camping! This is not unpleasant, just confusing. I try to go as long as I can without doing this, because of the time limit on quests. The problem is that I have no idea why sometimes camping seems to work better than others. Sometimes debuffs go away; sometimes they don't. Sometimes I get a hefty chunk of HP back; sometimes it doesn't seem to make a difference. So, for reasons beyond my ken, often I camp and wind up barely better than before.
  3. Ranger was fine at first, but it started getting kind of boring later on. I'm thinking of rerolling with a different class, but I'm naturally weary of that because of issue #1. Is there a class that maximizes fun while minimizing crunch? One and the same, really.
Thank you kindly.

[*]The big thing that ended up turning me off was leveling. I hate leveling in this game. Every time it's dozens of spells, dozens of feats, all of which sound equally unexciting even though I know picking the wrong one is liable to turn the game into an unplayable mess somewhere down the line. Multiply that for however many characters. Look, I'm not a minmaxer; I don't care for the whole 3.5/Pathfinder deal of planning your build twenty levels in advance, or having 90% of builds be traps for people who aren't interested in getting a PhD in crunchy tabletop systems. It turns leveling into a chore, and I don't know how to fix that other than lowering the difficulty (which I don't want to do, since the combat itself is fine and I didn't have much trouble with it), putting far more time into studying the Pathfinder ruleset than I care to, or looking up viable builds online--which feels like copying someone else's homework and doesn't really help make leveling any less cumbersome.

You don't need to be min/maxer - I finished the game without issues on normal difficulty without min/maxing, I just picked whatever abilities/spells that sounds interesting. I never looked up at "viable build" options either. For me, leveling up was part of fun/roleplaying (e.g. I picked wide variety of skills like healing, buff/debuff, offensive spells instead of focusing on just one because I wanted to be support character).

[*]Camping! This is not unpleasant, just confusing. I try to go as long as I can without doing this, because of the time limit on quests. The problem is that I have no idea why sometimes camping seems to work better than others. Sometimes debuffs go away; sometimes they don't. Sometimes I get a hefty chunk of HP back; sometimes it doesn't seem to make a difference. So, for reasons beyond my ken, often I camp and wind up barely better than before.

This has more to do with how certain debuffs/afflictions work rather than "camping issue". Some afflictions will never go away by just resting, it needs appropriate spells to remove it. Check the icons on the portrait and see what each one says. As far as the camping goes, you really need to know that:

*Hunting is for collecting rations, you should assign someone with highest lore (nature) skill.
*Camouflage is for how well you hide the camping sight from enemies, you should assign someone with highest stealth skill.
*Successful cooking gives you buffs, each giving different buffs depending on which dish you cooked (you can learn more dishes as the game progress), you should assign someone with highest knowledge (world) skill. If you really stuff up cooking, food will be burnt which will attract enemies.
*Watch order basically means someone will alert your party if there's an ambush. You should assign someone with high perception skill.

Also, just know that time restrictions isn't as bad as many people think, make you sure you do rest to get your spells/abilities back.

[*]Ranger was fine at first, but it started getting kind of boring later on. I'm thinking of rerolling with a different class, but I'm naturally weary of that because of issue #1. Is there a class that maximizes fun while minimizing crunch? One and the same, really.

As I noted earlier, I don't think there's "min/max trap" unless you are playing on higher difficulty so my suggestion is feel free to reroll the character if you aren't happy with ranger.

If you have Beneath the Stolen Lands DLC - use this to try out builds. You level up very quick in this DLC so its good to test out different class builds.

Last edited:
You don't need to be min/maxer - I finished the game without issues on normal difficulty without min/maxing, I just picked whatever abilities/spells that sounds interesting. I never looked up at "viable build" options either. For me, leveling up was part of fun/roleplaying (e.g. I picked wide variety of skills like healing, buff/debuff, offensive spells instead of focusing on just one because I wanted to be support character).

This has more to do with how certain debuffs/afflictions work rather than "camping issue". Some afflictions will never go away by just resting, it needs appropriate spells to remove it. Check the icons on the portrait and see what each one says. As far as the camping goes, you really need to know that:

*Hunting is for collecting rations, you should assign someone with highest lore (nature) skill.
*Camouflage is for how well you hide the camping sight from enemies, you should assign someone with highest stealth skill.
*Successful cooking gives you buffs, each giving different buffs depending on which dish you cooked (you can learn more dishes as the game progress), you should assign someone with highest knowledge (world) skill. If you really stuff up cooking, food will be burnt which will attract enemies.
*Watch order basically means someone will alert your party if there's an ambush. You should assign someone with high perception skill.

Also, just know that time restrictions isn't as bad as many people think, make you sure you do rest to get your spells/abilities back.

As I noted earlier, I don't think there's "min/max trap" unless you are playing on higher difficulty so my suggestion is feel free to reroll the character if you aren't happy with ranger.

If you have Beneath the Stolen Lands DLC - use this to try out builds. You level up very quick in this DLC so its good to test out different class builds.
I'd add that you can probably use the auto level features which may not be optimal but certainly functional. As long as you don't play on harder difficulties.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Some additional bits to the other answers :)
The big thing that ended up turning me off was leveling. I hate leveling in this game. Every time it's dozens of spells, dozens of feats, all of which sound equally unexciting even though I know picking the wrong one is liable to turn the game into an unplayable mess somewhere down the line. Multiply that for however many characters.
Some levels require more choices than others, usually there's more at the very beginning. After that, the choices become less abundant, and you also know the game better, so they are easier to make.

Personally I find that fun and exciting to see the new toys I'll get when I level up, but I admit that I was a bit lost the first time. I took the Pathfinder Core Rulebook (1st edition) and looked at the races and classes that appealed the most to me, that helped me get a little more knowledge for those early choices. You don't need to do that of course, with a party of 6 there should be enough redundancy to forgive non-optimal choices. It probably depends on the difficulty level, but you shouldn't be afraid to select what you like most, do you prefer melee or ranged attacks? Two small weapons, or a big heavy one? You'll do fine, either way.

Important regarding your companions: you don't have to micro-manage their career! As long as you keep the default choices, they will only require you to click once for final approval. If you modify the default choices (by getting back on the character sheet), I think you'll have to continue manually from that moment on, for that companion. I think that's what @Pladio; mentioned - perhaps it also works for the main character.

Please someone hit me if I'm wrong ;)

Have a look at the Bag of Tricks mod, it provides you with a respec ability (to be used with caution), in case you made a very big mistake. Cherry on top, there's a camera tool, allowing you to rotate the camera, and extend the zoom range :)
Camping! This is not unpleasant, just confusing. I try to go as long as I can without doing this, because of the time limit on quests. The problem is that I have no idea why sometimes camping seems to work better than others.
Just to make sure because I had this issue: there is a button at the top of the first screen when camping, MANAGE. It's easy to miss, the colour choice is such as I hadn't noticed it at the beginning ;)

If you hit the button, you can assign party members to the posts @purpleblob; has detailed above. When you grab one of the avatars, the game will show their ability for each post. The cooking has a DC for each meal, which makes some easier to succeed than others.

In dungeons, you have to bring rations, again you need to specify that in the camp management screen at the top. If you don't use rations, resting will not restore much, it will only be considered as a short pause (it should warn you about that, also saying hunting is not possible).

You can buy those rations, they are cheap but heavy. As in D&D 5E, the purpose of this "cost" is to avoid people resting all the time in dungeons to refill.

Ranger was fine at first, but it started getting kind of boring later on. I'm thinking of rerolling with a different class, but I'm naturally weary of that because of issue #1. Is there a class that maximizes fun while minimizing crunch? One and the same, really.
I had a lot of fun with a rogue / eldritch scoundrel. But to each their own, really.

I don't have much more to add since I personally garner so much fun from 3.5esque planning/leveling but, if you happen to own the Beneath the Stolen Lands DLC, you can get a great handle on what's possible with builds one incremental step at a time - and where regrets in character building aren't weighed down with much permanence.

I have a problem.

Call me dumb, but I've forgotten which edition I own.

You can take out your pitchforks and yell at me, but I have never played Kingmaker so far. :D

Now, all I know is that I own a "Kickstarter Tier 2". And a "preorder bonus". And a "boxed version" of the game.

Oh, and a GOG version it is. [ Whereas the boxed version is a steam version. Oh, my. ]

Everything else is lost to my memory.

Is there a way to tell which version I have ? And what my version differs from the various existing editions ? (Imperial, Royal, Enhanced …)

I'm asking because I want to find out which DLCs I need to get the full shebang.

I have a problem.

Call me dumb, but I've forgotten which edition I own.

You can take out your pitchforks and yell at me, but I have never played Kingmaker so far. :D

Now, all I know is that I own a "Kickstarter Tier 2". And a "preorder bonus". And a "boxed version" of the game.

Oh, and a GOG version it is. [ Whereas the boxed version is a steam version. Oh, my. ]

Everything else is lost to my memory.

Is there a way to tell which version I have ? And what my version differs from the various existing editions ? (Imperial, Royal, Enhanced …)

I'm asking because I want to find out which DLCs I need to get the full shebang.

If you look at your GOG account, it should tell you: https://www.gog.com/account

It's small, but it says "Enhanced Edition":
image.png

And if you click on the game to get the details, on the right you'll find the content:
image.png

I usually check there, or in my emails when I have a doubt.

For the Kickstarter part, I have no idea, I missed that one.

Back
Top Bottom