Fallout 3 - Preview & Interview @ NMA

It wasn't Sander, it was Silencer

-eh- OK -

but the point still stands:

NMA got turned down - or so it seems - since Silencer applied under the NMA name.

I'm sorry :blush: that I got the name wrong :lonely:

Last edited:
Gstaff provided the reason for that. It's a press showing, so fans have no reason to be there.

Small, volunteer sites like RPGFan and Strategy Core do, but since NMA is a fansite, it doesn't

Age of Decadence. ;) I don't see how a self-funded, unreleased, indie title has much relevance to this topic.

On the article; an excellent walkthrough...one of the best I've read but hard to get excited, since I've read so many. The conclusions section is interesting - I appreciated the BoS observations but didn't really get the "guts, daring, innovation" comment. Would being turn-based have been gutsy because they would have defied conventional wisdom? What would be innovative while still respecting the franchise?

Enjoyed the interview - some good questions.

Not to be a party pooper (no, really *cough* :biggrin: ) but has it ever occurred to you that this stunt might have pretty bad repercussions? I don't really expect Bethesda to go that far but did you ever think about the possible outcome that Bethesda might simply refuse to admit any volunteer site staff in future presentations of Fallout 3 (or all of their games)? What special right do you assume for yourself to potentially ruin it for everyone else? If Bethesda should in fact ban any and all non-commercial/volunteer sites (this would potentially affect this very site's staff here at RPG Watch as well), were the giggles and pats on the back from the Fallout hardcore fans worth it all?

No need to answer, really, as you obviously opted for 'yes' on every single one of these questions.

didn't really get the "guts, daring, innovation" comment. Would being turn-based have been gutsy because they would have defied conventional wisdom? What would be innovative while still respecting the franchise?

Turn-based would indeed have been gutsy because it's going against the grain.

But I wasn't just trying to cover combat. The whole feel of the game is one of "taking the easy way out." Generic setting, RTwP combat, etc. etc. They have some good ideas, it's just all really, really unoriginal.

Not to be a party pooper (no, really *cough* :biggrin: ) but has it ever occurred to you that this stunt might have pretty bad repercussions? I don't really expect Bethesda to go that far but did you ever think about the possible outcome that Bethesda might simply refuse to admit any volunteer site staff in future presentations of Fallout 3 (or all of their games)? What special right do you assume for yourself to potentially ruin it for everyone else?

I don't think Bethesda ever had any intention of working with NMA or DaC in any significant way. If they do somehow, I doubt this changes it, much.

If Bethesda should in fact ban any and all non-commercial/volunteer sites (this would potentially affect this very site's staff here at RPG Watch as well), were the giggles and pats on the back from the Fallout hardcore fans worth it all?

That won't happen, Bethesda has great relations with a number of independent volunteer sites.

Anyway, your suggestions reek too much of blackmail, Moriendor. So even if Bethesda had directly forewarned that would be the consequences, chances are I might not have caved, because blackmail rubs me the wrong way in a major way.

That won't happen, Bethesda has great relations with a number of independent volunteer sites.

This might change to "had" because of your super funny and sneaky ways. Bethesda wouldn't be the first publisher to have a change of policies and to only admit professional journalists with full credentials and a press ID card to their events. Or to admit only journalists from volunteer sites that they know and have dealt with before. Many volunteer sites have staff coming and going on a regular basis so this might impede them majorly if Bethesda ups the bar.
But -hey- I know you can't be arsed with such concerns. At least you've had your giggles, your pats on the back and your little ego trip so it's all OK, right?

Anyway, your suggestions reek too much of blackmail, Moriendor. So even if Bethesda had directly forewarned that would be the consequences, chances are I might not have caved, because blackmail rubs me the wrong way in a major way.

That sure is nice of you. Always concerned about your fellow human beings and about the consequences that your actions might have on them. I expected no less.

This might change to "had" because of your super funny and sneaky ways. Bethesda wouldn't be the first publisher to have a change of policies and to only admit professional journalists with full credentials and a press ID card to their events. Or to admit only journalists from volunteer sites that they know and have dealt with before. Many volunteer sites have staff coming and going on a regular basis so this might impede them majorly if Bethesda ups the bar.

I don't see how that'd be a major shift, everything so far has been pretty tight-lipped anyway. Bethesda has never been grand on working with anyone except people they really liked. Will they go completely nuts now? It's possible. Painting me as the great evil demon who personally killed Bethesda's nice behaviour right now is just pathetic, tho'

But -hey- I know you can't be arsed with such concerns. At least you've had your giggles, your pats on the back and your little ego trip so it's all OK, right?

Why exactly are you trying to stretch facts in a juvenile personal attack on me?

That sure is nice of you. Always concerned about your fellow human beings and about the consequences that your actions might have on them. I expected no less.

It's instinct. What, am I supposed to roll over whenever someone tries to blackmail me or a company tries to muscle me? You must have a great sense of journalistic integrity.

Painting me as the great evil demon who personally killed Bethesda's nice behaviour right now is just pathetic, tho'

Hey, I didn't. I chose words such as "might", "possible" and "potentially" on purpose.
I know exactly that the chances of me turning out to be an overly concerned idiot because nothing will happen on Bethesda's side are far greater than any repercussions ;) .

Why exactly are you trying to stretch facts in a juvenile personal attack on me?

If I attack you for your juvenile stunt then I might as well do it properly, no? :biggrin:

It's instinct. What, am I supposed to roll over whenever someone tries to blackmail me or a company tries to muscle me? You must have a great sense of journalistic integrity.

Did I just hear someone uninvited, sneaking in on an event with fake credentials, pretending to be someone else, talk about "journalistic integrity"? AHEM! ;)
Besides, I fail to see any attempts at blackmail or muscling. You just weren't invited. That's all. - Also, you know, I would actually applaud you for throwing any concerns for other people out the window if we were talking about the coverage of a life- or world-saving event. But we aren't. We are talking about the presentation of a stupid piece of entertainment software to put it bluntly and possible effects that your (in my opinion) rather poorly thought-through behavior might have on other people who are pursuing this same hobby. Please let us stop pretending as if anything really important depended upon you being there. You just did it for "teh funny" category (and out of personal curiosity probably).

If I attack you for your juvenile stunt then I might as well do it properly, no? :biggrin:

Impressive

Did I just hear someone uninvited, sneaking in on an event with fake credentials, pretending to be someone else, talk about "journalistic integrity"? AHEM! ;)

Maybe you should spend less time typing out biting attacks at people based on assumptions of their motives, behaviour and its results, because so far, you're getting it all wrong.

I had an official appointment, my credentials I real, I was registered under my real name. I did not lie, I did not forge, I did not sneak. Everything I said to Bethesda was true. Note that I did not make the appointment, Gamernode did that for me

Besides, I fail to see any attempts at blackmail or muscling.

Where did I say there were any attempts at those? We were talking about a hypothetical case. Though I guess you're retroactively trying to blackmail me by making me feel guilty about doing something which might possibly have consequences, or something. What point were you trying to make, exactly?

We are talking about the presentation of a stupid piece of entertainment software to put it bluntly and possible effects that your (in my opinion) rather poorly thought-through behavior might have on other people who are pursuing this same hobby.

If it's just a stupid piece of entertainment software, why are you making me out as a huge villain for this?

Please let us stop pretending as if anything really important depended upon you being there. You just did it for "teh funny" category (and out of personal curiosity probably).

Considering this preview is currently making fast rounds through dozens of national and international forums and newssites and is receiving praise and compliments for a job well done and new information gained, your accusation is wrong. I felt the coverage afforded by press at that point wasn't sufficient and, judging from people's reactions, they're happy to see the other side of it too.

Seriously, you bludgeon in accusing me heavily of a hypothetical consequence and make false assumptions on what happened and my motives for it. You act as if I killed your puppy or something, while so far all I did was write a widely appreciated preview with no apparent consequences to anyone else, so far.

True, true. It's all hypothetical, unfortunately. So until something really happens I shall leave you basking in the light of your huge success. You really showed them, man!
I guess all I can do is just hope that you will consider your actions more carefully in the future. Aren't you the guys who are usually promoting thought, choice and (thinking about the) consequence? Maybe next time you'll think about possible repercussions and how your behavior might do more harm than good (especially to uninvolved people who might get dragged into this through no fault of their own). My mission has been accomplished if that goal is reached ;) .

I guess all I can do is just hope that you will consider your actions more carefully in the future..

That would require me considering your line of thought even remotely valid. I don't see any validity or meaning in any of it. You're basically shouting "you're just being childish and stupid!" really loudly, and alone. That's not going to convince me of anything.

Though I've done been pwnd, true

That would require me considering your line of thought even remotely valid. I don't see any validity or meaning in any of it. You're basically shouting "you're just being childish and stupid!" really loudly, and alone. That's not going to convince me of anything.

Fair enough. It doesn't surprise me that someone as egocentric as you can not see my line of thought which involves thinking about the consequences of how other people might be affected by your actions. What else is new?
As long as you got your coverage and the laughs on your side everything is obviously alright in your world. *shrug* ... Fine then. If you aren't open to any sort of different view on this subject then I guess you just aren't. Not like I can force you to be convinced of anything. Case closed.

Please carry on with the praise and the rockstar celebrations, folks. Sorry about the small interruption :) .

someone as egocentric as you

The mere concept of you thinking anyone can possibly take you seriously with lines like these make me smile. You are so obviously rabidly against me as a person, it's not even funny.

OK guys, while I enjoy the work of both of you, could we cool it with the personal attacks. Thanks!! :)

While I would agree that Mo has become a fucking troll over the past months I think he has a point this time. It is possible this action has done a lot of smaller sites a disservice.

Why should said smaller sites not have the freedom to decide who they want to send to such an event? Silencer afaik is actually writing a second preview for that shrimps site.

Why should said smaller sites not have the freedom to decide who they want to send to such an event?

Because Pete Hines might find out that he had some uninvited guests at GC. Then Pete Hines might reconsider who they allow admission to their events and they might limit it in some way (worst case would be to only allow "real" professional journalists such as only GameSpy/IGN, GameSpot and editors of print mags to future events).
These events are usually by invitation only. As some may remember I once handled stuff like this for RPGDot many, many moons ago. We had it happen back then that a volunteer staff member (unknown to any of us in person as is typical for smaller sites with an international volunteer staff) was turned down by a big publisher due to misconduct at a previous event (must have been a "fucking troll" like me :biggrin: ). If they say "no" then you either ain't sending no one or you're sending someone else that they will hopefully accept. It's that simple, really. It's their event. It's their rules of admission.
If Bethesda now changes its rules or policy thanks to someone at NMA needing their 15 minutes of fame then all other websites who fall victim to the stricter policy should know who to address their thank-you letters to. That is all that I was trying to say.

Sincerely,

Yours Fucking Troll

They were not univited guests. They were they as the invited representatives of the sites that sponsored them. They also happened to be NMA members, and last I checked Bethesda had not even blacklisted the site, and it is certainly no criminal organization. According to Pete in the Q&A they are even reading and "in contact with" NMA. Again: if some site with an invitation to an event decides for whatever reason to send a representative that is also an NMA member, who obviouly had no chance to misbehave at an earlier event yet, I simply see no problem. Its not like they gave wrong names, stole the tickets, or snuck in in black Ninja suits. Nor have the particular NMA members uttered any death threats against Devs afaik. TES forum members have several times been at Beth press events as representatives for one site or another, giving both enthusiastic and critical accounts. If Bethesda feels they need to change their system because of that, than they are the morons, and NMA is right about them.

Back
Top Bottom