How to deactivate a 2nd CPU core ?

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hello,

can anyone tell me how to deactivate the second CPU core of my new Athlon 64 X2 - just for a single game ?

Now that I've finally got a 3/4 new PC ("Hooray !!" ;) ), I'm eager to try out games that didn't run as smoothly as I wanted them on my old PC ... ;)

Alrik

P.S. : Found an interesting entry:
http://forums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=580209&forum=11

I'll try this out, since my question partly arises from this game.

Last edited:
You might want to grab this Task Assignment Manager, Al (link to download is about 1/2 way down the page). The tool lets you create profiles for games and allows you to assign on which/how many core(s) the game should run. Should come in handy for older games. Thanks to the profiles, you won't need to do any manual assignment anymore via ALT+TAB and then setting the affinity in the task manager. Only thing you need to do is launch the tool. It needs to run in the background for the profiles to work properly.

Here's how you do it. First if you can get the game/program working, start the one you want to get running. Minimize the program. Hit Control Alt Delete and hit the processes tab. Then, right click on the game/program you just started. Then click on 'Set Affinity' and uncheck one of the cores, hit apply. You have to do it every time you use the software, and if you can't get the game working in the first place obviously this won't work. This is the only way I could get System Shock 2 to play without crashing. I could at least get to the splash screen but the game would crash when I tried to load it. This fixed the problem, at least with this particular game. Just a suggestion.

Ah, thank you very much. :)

I'll try this out ! :)

And by the way - what's in this link I posted actually works with BG - the original version. I tried it out, too. :)

The only game I seemingly can't get to run is The Westerner, but I'll try this out to deactivate the 2nd core when playing it. Maybe this is the source of the game's problems.

Alrik

try this program: RunFirst
RunFirst is a command line utility that let you start an application on the first processor of a multi-processor system or on an hyper-threaded single processor system. This application is useful to start applications which do not run well on multi processor systems.
http://www.activeplus.com/us/freeware/runfirst/

Thanks. :)

Meanwhile, I found out that AMD offers a tool that lets you assign a single core to a program/game.

Back
Top Bottom