Bethesda Softworks - ZeniMax Acquires id Software!

Originally Posted by skavenhorde
Nope, it's not.

I liked Doom 3 acting and story. Give me a good deamon plot, mix in some zombie movies and it's all good. It helps if you love B movies
I know that Doom 3 was supposed to have some story. But you were talking of doom without stating a number and the original doom was famous for not having a story

Oblivions story = portals open with demons you have to defeat
Doom 1/2's story = portals open with demons you have to defeat

These games have main plots on almost the same level. However doom 3, quake 1,2,3, etc etc had better ones than in Oblivion.

Quake had a story ?

I always thought this was just kind of an online match game thing ...

Eh... I gotta say I don't care either way because I never got why id is considered to be so great. I got Doom around when I got Marathon and the latter simply blew the former away. Quake was fun for awhile I guess... My fav is still Commander Keen.

Eh... I gotta say I don't care either way because I never got why id is considered to be so great.
Id impressed everyone right from the start. Not only did its Wolfenstein 3-D software carve out a new genre (FPS) but it was also offered as shareware, something that was new and innovative at the time. They gave away the software with a lock on the upper levels, so you could buy the rest if you wanted (and that was before most folks had Internet access, btw).

Doom blew people's minds. Anyone who claims anything otherwise simply doesn't know what they're talking about. The exact reasons why are open to debate, but not its amazing popularity or its impact on the video game business.

Last edited:
Can we finally get this post unstickied from the front of the news page? This is of questionable RPG relevance in the first place, the news is 2 days old now, and I'm really getting tired of having to scroll past that enormous text barf to get to the new content.

Am I the only one who really dislikes the whole concept of "breaking news" on this site? I'd rather everything just be posted like all the other news, instead of giving preferential treatment to arbitrary posts.

Quake had a story ?

I always thought this was just kind of an online match game thing ...

Quake 3 Arena is the online match game you are thinking of.
Quake 1 and 2 (well, and 4, which was developed by Raven and not id though) on the other hand actually had a story but a very weak one.
id Software's MO has always been to finish the gameplay and the individual levels first and then to think up a (pretty much completely random) story at the very end of development to connect it all in some strange way.

Am I the only one who really dislikes the whole concept of "breaking news" on this site? I'd rather everything just be posted like all the other news, instead of giving preferential treatment to arbitrary posts.
Then our taste is different. ;) We decided to use "breaking news" on RPGWatch because we like it.

This time the two biggest pieces of news in at least the last couple of weeks both came within a few hours. That's just bad luck. The Bio news wasn't out when I posted Bethesda as breaking news. Replacing it after 2 hours wouldn't have made sense. And, frankly, the low intensity of discussion about the Bio newsbit - including the forum thread - doesn't make me think the decision to consider the Beth news more important was wrong.

Oblivions story = portals open with demons you have to defeat
Doom 1/2's story = portals open with demons you have to defeat

These games have main plots on almost the same level. However doom 3, quake 1,2,3, etc etc had better ones than in Oblivion.

Hey, I never said that third paragraph in my quote. That was Bkruegar.

In any case, I should of said Doom 3. It's been too long since I played Doom that I hardly remember anything abou it and I didn't play Doom 2. I was too busy playing Dune 2 at the time.

Doom 3 was perfect imo. Except for that damn flashlight. What is wrong with the future? Haven't they ever heard of Duct Tape? Other than that it had deamons, decent acting, a linear story like a movie and tons of zombies to shoot and scare the hell out of me. I'm not really that picky with plot and context when it comes to FPS. Just make sure the actors put some emotion into their acting and it's all good.

I do think that comparing a linear FPS to a sandbox RPG isn't exactly fair. First off, any linear story has an immediate advantage over any sandbox. You can make a linear story just like any movie or book, but with sandboxes well that is another matter entirely. Give the industry a decade or two and we'll start seeing some decent sandbox plots.

Bottom line is that Doom 3 was fun. With Beth controlling the IP now it remains to be seen whether or not they can improve it with some light RPG improvements or if it will continue just being a FPS. One thing I don't want them to do is make it a sandbox. Doom doesn't need it and there is already a Doom Roguelike out there :)

Edit: There is an interesting interview of John Carmack and Pete Hines over at 1up. They talk about how this all came about, the future of the IPs and a little bit about whether or not they're going to use Tech 5 for Fallout 4. I can't figure out what he is talking about with Tech 5. He doesn't give a straight answer, it's all about cherry picking the best tech and other such PR answers. Man John Carmack should be a politician because he can say a lot without actually answering the question. I think from what I understand is that the engines will remain the same for both Fallout and Doom. Don't quote me on that because he never did give a straight answer.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?pager.offset=0&cId=3174953

Last edited:
Eh... I gotta say I don't care either way because I never got why id is considered to be so great..

If you don't "get it", then I doubt we could explain it to you. ;)

Bottom line is that Doom 3 was fun.

I agree 100%. Despite all the people who claim otherwise, Doom 3 was a very solid FPS.

Last edited:
That's way more breaking, even if Kotaku broadly misrepresents the story. The leaving of Mark Jacobs is relevant if nothing else, but this really looks like a lead-in to merging Mythic into BioWare Austin.

I would assume it does. But Bethesda barely managed to make a functional game on a polished, stable engine like Gamebryo. Do you really want to hand them experimental tech? They might blow up your computer.

God. Your irrational hatred of Bethesda clouds your judgement.

This place is starting to turn in to the codex....is this what we are aiming for now?

@JDR - Doom III scared me pretty good! I thought it was pretty cool too

of course i was playing it in the dead of night, in the dark, but still. Was pretty scary at times! In the beginnning, and not the "jump" type scares either really are what im talking about. The lumbering dead were pretty freaky, and the flashlight thing added to the tension. I thought it was a good horror game

Eh... I gotta say I don't care either way because I never got why id is considered to be so great. I got Doom around when I got Marathon and the latter simply blew the former away. Quake was fun for awhile I guess... My fav is still Commander Keen.

Marathon was released more than a year later ... it is more in the time frame of Dark Forces than Doom, and both games show an evolution in terms of technical and narrative design that simply blows Doom away. But Wolf 3D and Doom were the ground-breakers, as was Quake for what it did. Narrative has never been id's strong suite ... ;)

My fav is still Commander Keen.

Same here. ;)

I wish ID would just blew up people's minds with another Commander Keen game ... As colourful and nice as Commander Keen 4 & 5 ... ;)

id Software's MO has always been to finish the gameplay and the individual levels first and then to think up a (pretty much completely random) story at the very end of development to connect it all in some strange way.

This sounds very much like the image/cliché I got from them : Highly technologically skilled, but kind of underdeveloped regarding storytelling ...

Which is, by the way, one of the reasons why I don't trust games that are technically excellent anymore. Techies often aren't able to write poems, imho, not to mention good plots.

My guess is that the only immediate changes are that Bethesda will get the id engines pretty cheap and now that Carmack is no longer a owner of the company, id won't be releasing source code anymore.
That is only true for the very first Quake, which is also the only "tech demo" id ever did. That game was meant to be a much more ambitious action-RPG but id ended up slapping the Doom gameplay on the tech. This was one of the reasons Romero left id. Don't take this the wrong way I'm not a leftover Romero fanboy, if id hadn't made that change some of the Daikatana jokes would possibly be about Quake. I don't want to go into detail, you can buy books about this now. Quake was still fun: it was just Doom with better graphics and internet multiplayer, nothing more, but even less story. Anyway Quake was finished and at the very last moment before id uploaded the shareware they added a half assed storyline to connect all the different scenarios that even ended with something along the lines of 'whatever that is'.

And yet you ignored his post....

Why do Codexers think that their behavior will work on the other sites as well? Can't you post more constructive post than "butthurt detected", "loser detected", "u sux lol wut a n000000b" ? That's the main reason I don't visit RPGCodex (or do it rarely).

Back
Top Bottom