RPGWatch @ Gamescom - Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Here is what I learned from my session with a game I actually got to play: Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker is a single player isometric RPG, based upon three pillars: exploration, combat and building a kingdom. It takes place in the Stolen North and you will get to encounter some of the known characters from the Pathfinder tabletop game.

The combat is real-time with pause, as an answer to my question why it wasn't turn-based it was said that they wanted to show us the animations and visual effects, but especially they want their battles to be fast. I mentioned that I found that it could be a valid reason, but it is very well possible to make a real-time game where combat is slow or feels like a drag and a turn-based game where combat does not feel slow or drags. And animations and visual effects could look great in a turn-based game as well. Anyway, as that short intermezzo wasn't going anywhere, I dropped it and we continued with the rest of the introduction.
They want the player to be able to make the best tactical choice of the abilities of the characters. There are about 500 of these abilities in different classes. You will be able to create any class you like with their archetypes and customize them, just like you can in the tabletop version of the game.
More information.

And here is the info I have on Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

Thanks! I am looking forward to this game so eager for information.

The only thing I read I was not happy about was locked camera - although somewhat expected. I am just so used to complete camera freedom in games I often feel restricted when I can't spin it around.

Excellent! Thanks for the great info.

I can see what they're saying about it being real-time with pause, instead of it being turn-based. If it's a 100 hour game, and it instead went to the D:OS method of fighting, it would be a 200 hour game that would make combat seem old. And from what I understand, they will have an option to pause after each tick/heartbeat.

Thanks for your impressions, Myrthos!

This and Battletech are my most wanted right now. I hope they don't take shortcuts and implement all they were talking about. Already I'm almost sure I will like this more than Pillars.
I will also make sure to experiment with those auto-pause options to come as close to turn-based as possible.

I am glad they decided to go with RTwP, I definitely find it much faster paced than TB.

Seems like the game will be very heavy on C&C, I can see myself agonising over each choices before making a decision. Hope the story itself isn't going to be too doom and gloom though.

The kingdoms mechanic sounds more fun than I initially thought. Gosh, didn't realise you can start off the game as a queen!! Wonder how much of difference it will make to gameplay.

All in all, very excited. Seriously can't wait to play it :)

Thanks for asking my camping question, Myrthos!!

I think this game will surprise me in many ways so its curious. I don't have high expectations at the moment because I always expect to be disappointed with games in some respects. Pillars of Eternity was chastening in terms of managing my expectations.

I think that the game is looking interesting enough (they are not scared of complexity) and they have the right thinking for many of its elements - like camping. This seems a natural evolution of the camping mechanic that Baldurs Gate used in terms of adding interest. Risk and reward mechanics are quite striking compared to other recent games of this type. This is also true of many other aspects but you never know till you sit down and actually play the game how it will come together. I have my fingers crossed.

I think that the game is looking interesting enough (they are not scared of complexity) and they have the right thinking for many of its elements - like camping.

This is why I think it's great that it is a Russian dev. Russian games are usually more "hardcore" and complex, though in the past many games were lacking in the story department and there were bugs, many bugs.

Since some of the Owlcat guys have worked on Silent Storm I think the combat is in good hands (had they only left out the Panzerschrecks, but there are mods for that).

I just remembered to forget to mention that when you travel from map to map, you have random encounters with enemies.

Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to this game.
I like the Kingdom mechanics, which is the strong point of Kingmaker.
I always enjoyed having a place where you could rule and see some meaningful impact on the game. It is rewarding when you are just not "the chosen one¨ saving the wolrd with a handful of companions, but have ambitions and can see yourself growing, not only in stats, but also in prestige and influence.
Notable enjoyable experiences were Might and Magic VII, Crossroad Keep in NWN2, Baldur's Gate 2 (De'Arnise Keep playing as a warrior), Dragon Age Inquisition, Morrowind (building your own stronghold).

Back
Top Bottom