The Great Whale Road - Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Explorminate checked out the tactical RPG The Great Whale Road:

Monday eXcursion: The Great Whale Road

The Great Whale Road (GWR) is a tactical RPG from Sunburned Games set way back in the good old Viking days that seem to be so popular lately (see also: The History Channel…). Your character starts as the newly minted, albeit unlikely, new village chief after the old chief got himself killed off by a group of Saxons while out on some raid or another. Oh, and almost every warrior in town was with him and they didn’t come back home either. Your mission is to guide your people to prosperity and seek revenge against the folks who robbed your village of all of its semi-competent members.

The game moves through various phases as time passes. You do some village management to gather food and produce trade goods and resources. You sail around the North Atlantic and handle random events. Visiting other towns lets you buy and sell goods, engage in combat, and rest up before heading back home to prepare for another winter.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Not for me definetly.
It apparently has roguelike elements while being linear and not c&c so I'm gonna skippit.

I thought it would have been fun so bought it a long time ago but the strategic layer is very weak and the combat not too interesting either.

I stopped playing a few hours in so maybe it does get better later on.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

This dev pissed me off. We had an informal agreement that I would do some writing for the game, to the point of settling on a price and everything. Then he found an intern who would work cheaper (maybe for free) and gave the work to him instead.

Expedition: Vikings might be more up anyone's alley. It's had several months to get more polished at this point too. Probably be on sale for Christmas.

O_O
Say what?

For what's worth, maybe it's for the better you weren't involved in this.

Back
Top Bottom