Top 10 RPGs of the last decade

Hmm. Here's 10 of mine in no particular order.

ELEX (ok, this is in order, it's #1 :))
Inquisitor (no wait, this is #1! :D)
Torment: Tides of Numenera (or maybe this one is..? OK, enough of that. :p)
Skyrim
Lords of Xulima
Risen
Elminage Gothic
Avernum: Escape From The Pit
Divinity II: Dragon Knight Saga
Drakensang (& Drakensang - River of Time)

Probably others I'm forgetting too. Had to look through my games owned to remember some of these.

If I extend it to games that came before 2007 but I played for the first time within the last 10 years, I'd have to include:

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Planescape: Torment
Gothic (& Gothic 2, but I prefer the original more)
Baldur's Gate (& BG2, but see above)
Temple of Elemental Evil
IceWind Dale
Geneforge
Lionheart
and on, and on, and on, and on some more. :)

Came out in 2006. Shivering Isles came out in 2007 but… <points at calendar>

Ok @Zloth;, it hurts me to keep Oblivion out. I mean, I really liked it. When I bought it (the physical GOTY version) I promptly installed it and I had many hours of fun. I really thought it was released in 2007. Allow me to redo my list, again in alphabetical order :)

. Divinity: Original Sin
. Divinity: Original Sin 2
. Dragon Age: Origins
. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, The
. Fallout: New Vegas
. Lords of Xulima
. Risen
. Wasteland 2
. Witcher 3, The
. XCOM 2

If I extend it to games that came before 2007 but I played for the first time within the last 10 years, I'd have to include:
For me none from PC. Before 2007 quite a few, since 2007 none, only some replay worked more or less and I don't think any was a full replay. It's possible my memory plays with me but I don't think so.

Many very old failed because I can't bear anymore awful keyboard interface. But overall it's a lot a matter of age, I should have play them more or less at release and now for me it's too late. There's still a few that could perhaps work for me, but not many.

For consoles and emulators, it's different, there would be a few and there's a large potential.

2007 - 2017 (11 years) no remake, no port very delayed, it could be for example:
1. Shadowrun Dragonfall Director's Cut
2. The Witcher 1
3. Tyranny
4. Wasteland 2 Director's Cut
5. ELEX
6. Divinity Original Sin
7. Dragon Age Origin
8. Mass Effect Trilogy or Mass Effect 3
9. Neverwinter Night 2 Mask of the Betrayer
10. Dragon Age Inquisition (lol, I would add, by building the game flow myself, not following the one more or less suggested by the game)

Special mentions:
Legend of Grimrock, Blackguards 2, Drakensang: The River of Time, Might & Magic X, The Witcher 3, Mass Effect Andromeda, Divinity II, Avadon, Loren the Amazon Princess (the only RPG I know where you play the companion of the hero), Pillars of Eternity, Eschalon: Book 3, Battle Chasers: Nightwar, Underrail (without last parts it would be in my top list), AntharioN, Fallout 3, Super Dungeon Tactics, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Skyrim, Balrum.

Special XCOM like mentions:
XCOM 1&2, Invisible Inc, Long War 2 (XCOM 2), The Storm Guard: Darkness is Coming, Massive Chalice, Jagged Alliance Flashback, Templar Battleforce, Hard West, Xenonauts.

Special Diablo like mentions:
Torchlight 1&2, E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy, Zombasite, Grim Dawn, Far Cry 3, Alien Shooter 2, Borderlands 2, Diablo 3, Dungeon Siege III, Din's Curse, Shadowgrounds & Shadowgrounds Survivor, Path of Exile.

Special Roguelike/Roguelite mentions:
Tales of Maj'Eyal, Eldritch, Steam Marines, Bionic Dues, Delver, Sword of the Stars: The Pit, Dungeons of Dredmor.

Not played:
DOS2 waiting Mac release, LoG 2 (only two short attempts), Risen 2&3 (from a try of both the 3 is a serious contender for the top list), FO4 (only two short attempts), Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Avadon 3, Cosmic Star Heroine, Voidspire Tactics, Battle Brothers (but it looks more like a Roguelike strategy with RPG elements), Knights of the Chalice, Grimoire, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius.

I thought Inquisitor had a great atmosphere and story. The combat and movement was pretty wonky though. I enjoyed playing through it once, and finished the game, despite the combat. I don't think I'd replay it though. Inquisitor definitely gets big bonus points for its originality.

Oh, I don't know.

Leaving out roguelikes, fantasy 4X, space sims, mobas, etc.

Probably something like

1. Dark Souls
2. DivinityOS
3. Grimrock
4. Warframe
5. Knights of the Chalice
6. Nioh
7. Path of Exile
8. Grim Dawn
9. Dragons Dogma
0. Sword Coast Legends

I thought Inquisitor had a great atmosphere and story. The combat and movement was pretty wonky though. I enjoyed playing through it once, and finished the game, despite the combat. I don't think I'd replay it though. Inquisitor definitely gets big bonus points for its originality.

Atmosphere, story, exploration and originality are the keys for Inquisitor for me. I liked the loot, too, other than having to carry 75 potions at a time. :)

Might do a Let's Play for that game when I'm done with BG:EET. It's a bit overlooked, even if it is a bit rough.

DArk souls 1
Dragon age origins
Skyrim
Bloodborne
Dark souls 3
Lords of the fallen
Divinity original sin
DX:HR
Witcher 3
Shadows of mordor

DArk souls 1
Dragon age origins
Skyrim
Bloodborne
Dark souls 3
Lords of the fallen
Divinity original sin
DX:HR
Witcher 3
Shadows of mordor

No Dark Souls 2? Do most fans of the series consider DS3 to be better?

Also, have you played DX:MD yet? I thought it was superior to DX:HR in most ways.

My top 10 for the last decade.

1) The Witcher 1
2) Divinity: Original Sin
3) Fallout: New Vegas
4) XCOM 1 & 2
5) Mass Effect
6) Dragon Age: Origins
7) Wasteland 2 DC
8) Shadowrun: Dragonfall
9) Risen
10) NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer

Special Mentions for games that I expect to be top 10 once completed
-Divinity: Original Sin 2 (I have been waiting for patches before playing through. Stopped at chapter 2 for the moment)
-Mount & Blade: Warband (I've never managed to finish a game but still had lots of fun)
-The Witcher 3 (Saving up for a better graphics card to play this)
-Stellar Tactics (Waiting for it to be completed)
-Prey (Haven't played yet but expect it to be good)

No one besides myself like
Val Chronicles ?
The combat was great but the story…

Ok Zloth, it hurts me to keep Oblivion out. I mean, I really liked it. When I bought it (the physical GOTY version) I promptly installed it and I had many hours of fun.
Yeah, I feel your pain - the only reason I knew the date was because I was trying to decide between it and Witcher 1.

Last edited:
No Dark Souls 2? Do most fans of the series consider DS3 to be better?

Personally, I was cheating and talking about whole series, where applicable, but if you're looking for someone to say 2 was the best then I'm your man! I can always change my mind next time its brought up. =)

Back
Top Bottom