Phoenix Point - Backer Build One

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new update for Phoenix Point announces Backer Build One will be available April 30th. There is some creature art in the update if your curious.

Backer Build One

We're back! We know it's been a little while since the last update, but everyone has been working hard behind the scenes.

First off, we have a release date for Backer Build One: April 30th.

This is a month later than we had originally planned, and we're really sorry for the delay. While every effort was made to meet our original Q1 estimate, we wanted to make sure we could deliver the best possible version. One of the reasons for the delay is to implement the inventory system. We feel that this is a key mechanic for Phoenix Point, so wanted it to be included with Backer Build One.

Events

Back in February, Snapshot Games attended the PC Gamer Weekender show in London. Guests of the show were able to meet with Julian and other members of the team, along with having the chance to play our tactical demo. The demo is a small taste of what there is to look forward to. A single scenario were guests got to try their hand at Phoenix Point, taking control of the New Jericho faction in defense of a Haven. There were unfortunately some features that we weren't able to squeeze into the demo in time for the show (such as the Technician class and the drivable vehicles) but we are working to get them included for next time.

If you weren't able to attend PC Gamer Weekender, you can watch a play-through of the demo below.

In April we will be attending EGX Rezzed, also in London. The show dates are Friday April 13th to Sunday April 15th. Snapshot Games will be there on all three days with the demo build. If you're attending, seek us out and try it for yourself.

Tickets for EGX Rezzed are still currently available, but running low. Get your tickets here.
Mutations

One of the features we're most excited about in Phoenix Point is the mutation system. Each enemy (including the boss creatures) has the ability to mutate and throw new challenges at the player. Enemies will have a variety of different heads, torsos, arms, legs (and various other limbs) that can be used together in different combinations. Each different body part will provide different skills and abilities to the enemy, along with some straight up statistical modifiers such as increased speed or armour.

For each creature, each body part will have a distinct look. Following the philosophy that players should be able to distinguish and identify different units from their models, the different mutations will have a lot of visual variety.

[...]
More information.

I generally don't watch many half-hour live demos, but this is amazing. Really great stuff, really smooth and efficient interface, nice environment, nice models, few irritations. Maybe none so far.

Yeah, this looks really promising. Seems like these are people who know exactly what they're doing with this type of game.

Yeah, this looks really promising. Seems like these are people who know exactly what they're doing with this type of game.

Agreed. If the Beta is available for all backers I might just have to try it out, something I refrain from doing most of the time not to spoil myself. But I'm itching to play this.

I've got to admit I'm a fanboy for Julian's work. You can tell he has an eye for the talented and hard working as he has formed a good team and what they have produced so far in this little a time is amazing.

If comparing to Firaxis XCOM they have better AI, UI, Graphics, Sound, Programmers and to top it off better sensibilities for this sort of game. There is a strategy layer worth talking about. Vehicles will feature as well as full destructibility and realisitc ballistics.

And thats just the bullet point stuff. I'm a little bummed on having to wait for the backer beta but totally understandable to want inventory management in there for backers like myself.

Will this game have this strategic Geoscape layer or something similar?
There is a strategy layer worth talking about. Vehicles will feature as well as full destructibility and realisitc ballistics.
I'm curious how this will work out. Realistic ballistics and cover in a turn based world, they feel like systems for a full 3D shooter where you can look around more freely, where the enemy moves while you attack… IDK, my guts tell me the player could feel trapped in limited camera angles and in limited movement. It's just my guts telling me though ;-)

Also big fanboy, loved the pre-/post release Chaos Reborn era. JG has a great personality which I like, he's well sorted and to the point, no stupid distractions and artificial fireworks in what he says, very calm. I was sad Chaos Reborn wasn't that big success, the community die-hard but always small, and I felt sorry for him continously having to explain about the RNG/gambling side of the game. Too many people just didn't get that the rng was integral part of the excitement, game was not for them. However, we had good fun. I was not interested in that realms thing at all, btw. I thought "less is more", the game now is rather confusing with it's different game modes. Wasn't there even a hitpoint based game mode included? Less is more, they shouldn't have added so much stuff. Chaos mode, boom, done. There's too much distracting stuff in the game, because people want achievements and gratifications etc. - why not just let them starve ;-)

@yllaettaevaet;
I'm curious how this will work out. Realistic ballistics and cover in a turn based world, they feel like systems for a full 3D shooter where you can look around more freely, where the enemy moves while you attack… IDK, my guts tell me the player could feel trapped in limited camera angles and in limited movement. It's just my guts telling me though ;-)

Well you can rotate the camera and I am confident these guys have more of a clue as to how to avoid the issues XCOM had with clipping, weird animations etc. To answer your concern on movement I saw with another video that you can move your soldiers more than once. meaning the game gives you flexibility as to final positioning and allows you to fine tune it unlike XCOM which has the no take backsies idea.

This update explains the geoscape idea better through do note its from August last year and the UI and map stuff is far from final.
https://phoenixpoint.info/blog/2017/8/29/geoscape-ballistics-and-more

Basically you will claim a base on the world map and seek to reclaim Phoenix Point installations that have been abandoned rather than construct a base from scratch anywhere like in original X-COM. In addition there are three factions fighting the mutations in different ways which you can ally with or fight against. You will be rewarded with technology and resources for co-operation but can also steal their technologies which all follow different paths much like the different factions of Alpha Centauri. There are also independent factions of which little is known at present.

Humans control the air so no interceptions as far as I know but I suppose that could change during the course of the invasion. The aliens control territory through a mutating mist that comes out of the sea and learning to repel that mist is key to taking back territory.

Also big fanboy, loved the pre-/post release Chaos Reborn era. JG has a great personality which I like, he's well sorted and to the point, no stupid distractions and artificial fireworks in what he says, very calm. I was sad Chaos Reborn wasn't that big success, the community die-hard but always small, and I felt sorry for him continously having to explain about the RNG/gambling side of the game. Too many people just didn't get that the rng was integral part of the excitement, game was not for them.

Chaos Reborn is a great turn-based game. Its a shame that more people are not into this title because they really are missing out I think. And yep I respect JG for exactly these reasons.

Excellent video. I didnt expect that level of graphics and destructible objects! That could be interesting in some battles with heavy guns.
It makes better impression than videos from new X-COMs. :)

Humans control the air so no interceptions as far as I know but I suppose that could change during the course of the invasion.

I think you could "intercept" those huge walking monsters that they showed. But I dont know, maybe its wrong impression.

Chaos Reborn is a great turn-based game. Its a shame that more people are not into this title because they really are missing out I think. And yep I respect JG for exactly these reasons.

Devs of Phoenix Point should team up with Inxile, Harebrained or devs of Disco Elysium and make video for new kids that "turn based is COOL" or something. :)

I think you could "intercept" those huge walking monsters that they showed. But I dont know, maybe its wrong impression.
Well those are not the kind of interceptions people mean. You can attack those big monsters and do a mission that kills them.

I didn't support this one, but hearing the great comparisons that this is enjoying to the first X-com is making me regret that, just a little. I hope it does well and delivers, it sure is looking good.

I played the heck out of Chaos Reborn, a game that I did support. That is an excellent game, I keep it on the hard drive just to go back and play it occasionally, it truly is worth playing.

Devs of Phoenix Point should team up with Inxile, Harebrained or devs of Disco Elysium and make video for new kids that "turn based is COOL" or something. :)

That could work if Bethesda was the one promoting turn based for a new game.

I think a collaboration like the Lucasarts Bioware one for Kotor would promote better. Kotor became very mainstream because it is Star Wars and if the game was turn based I think it would of improved the game.

My dream collaboration sees Harebrained Schemes use the Larian engine for a Shadowrun game while InXile team up with Obsidian for the D&D license.

I only wish for Julian Gollop to develop a full RPG because I can only imagine the levels of awesome he would discover. :)

Back
Top Bottom