Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Most anticipated RPGs of 2021

I can live with them thinking remakes/remasters are something RPG gamers anticipate (I don't think anyone really anticipates those games, it's more like a "hey, I might take the chance to replay it" nostalgic feeling that you get reminding you of some good times you had when you played it originally) but what confuses me most is that they mention for example Bannerlord that has been available in a very playable state for nearly a year, and for example, aside the big names we are all thinking about, greatly anticipated games like Solasta that have been some time in Early Access and will release within the next couple months aren't in that list either. It's difficult to think that site knows what a RPG is or what RPG players are actually anticipating.

Anyway, as most lists, probably just looking to bait some clicks, and the best way to do that is inciting conversation and controversy.

I've never played The Witcher 3 all the way through even though I finished Witcher 1 and 2, and own all the DLC for Witcher 3. I always just got... distracted by other games. I'm going to try and play it with a gamepad next run-through, I think I might enjoy that better. The Remaster might be what it finally takes to get me to play through it.

Yakuza 6 might be interesting if it's turn-based like "Like a Dragon" was? Not really interested in the more action-y Yakuza games.

Disco Elysium might be cool to play again but I don't know... one playthrough might have been enough for that game. I liked it a lot, but I don't necessarily know that I want to repeat the experience.

Mass Effect LE I'll play. Loved the ME games.

I've been watching "Weird West" but haven't heard of any of those other indie games.

what confuses me most is that they mention for example Bannerlord that has been available in a very playable state for nearly a year, and for example, aside the big names we are all thinking about, greatly anticipated games like Solasta that have been some time in Early Access and will release within the next couple months aren't in that list either
Well, they explain their choices :) For Bannerlord, the person said she wasn't playing the EA, was happy to see it was there but waited for the final release.

Why not Solasta... they probably just like another RPG genre, aren't they more action-oriented? Anyway it doesn't look like there was a vote, even less a large poll, or they wouldn't have missed those good titles.

BTW, I wouldn't expect Solasta to be out in a couple of months but we'll have a significant update in March, which is nice, and they're still on for a 2021 release (see the interview I linked here).

The article is basically a tongue-in-cheek one. I mean they more or less want to play the remasters of ME and W3 just for the better graphics upping the sexiness.

Personally I thought the article was pretty funny.

and these indie games:

• Oddworld: Soulstorm
  • Wytchwood
  • Eastward
  • Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion
  • She Dreams Elsewhere
  • SkateBird
  • A Space For The Unbound
  • Backbone
  • Weird West
Thanks Redglyph!

There are some interesting games there … - and some weird ones, too.

I'm always puzzled why there are so many remakes.

[…]

it's just trying to rake in more money at a reduced risk.
You shouldn't be puzzled, you gave the answer yourself.

...and nothing of Pathfinder, Baldur's Gate 3, Black Geyser or Colony Ship, amongst other gems that are coming out this year.
Bloody shame RPS is such a gate for getting indie games seen by a wider audience.

My gripe about them is that their articles are 80% filler, 5 updates a day on super-popular shit like Fortnite and Borderlands, musing on games philosophy, and other exercises in self-abuse.

Huh? How do you anticipate a game you haven't even heard of yet?

Silver didn't say "haven't heard of", they said "heard very little about."

We've heard very little about the next Elder Scrolls game, virtually nothing in fact, but I think it's safe to say it's anticipated. Same with Avowed and Elden Ring, among others.

No ELEX 2 on that list, but that's not surprising. I'm starting to get a little nervous about the radio silence from Piranha Bytes. I know their work was slowed by Covid, but I thought we'd have an update by now.

Back
Top Bottom