Ambermoon Remake - In Development for Windows/Linux

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Ambermoon is being remade by Pyrdacor for Windows and Linux with the eventual goal being to make the unproduced sequel as well.

Hi I'm Pyrdacor and I remake old retro games from scratch. My most valued project is a remake of Ambermoon which is already at a very progressed state.

Ambermoon.net is a full C# rewrite of Ambermoon and will run at least on Windows and Linux.

MapRendering2.png

MapRendering1.png
[...]

Ambermoon is the second game in Thalion's never-finished Amber trilogy that was started out by Amberstar. The sequel is set more than half a century after the first game, the world of Lyramion just starting to recover from the destruction caused by the collapse of the red moon. The original protagonist is an old, dying man as the game starts out. He summons his grandchild and tells him about a vision he had, of an old friend who supposedly died more than forty years ago and warned him of a great evil rising again. He sends the youth on a quest to seek that old friend and find out what is behind that vision.

Concerning gameplay, Ambermoon is similar to its predecessor. The player initially controls only the main character, having the choice between a male and a female protagonist with several portraits each, but otherwise unable to customize them at that point. During the course of the game, additional characters may be recruited in various places in Lyramion; up to six form an active party that participates in combat. All characters can train physical attributes by specific NPCs in various towns, while some can also buy, learn, and cast offensive, supportive, and healing magic spells.
More information.

Amberstar and Ambermoon are two of the best German RPGs ever made. I like them a lot.
The third part was never made and the team went on to create Albion.

Never played these games, yet I do believe I've heard of them before. I did play Albion though and was very impressed with that game when it came out.

"Thalion Software" was pretty much an unknown company to me but "Bluebyte" was one of my favorite companies for quie a few years with titles such as "Battle Isle", "The Settlers", "Archimedean Dynasty", "Albion" and my guilty pleasure…"Dr. Drago's Madcap Chase". :embarrassed:

This remake does looks pretty nice and seems like something I might very well decide to buy. Still…even if the trilogy was never completed, wouldn't it make more sense to start with a remake of the first game in the series?:sweatdrop:

I never played Ambermoon, but I have played Albion, and it's easy to tell that it was from the same devs.

Afaik, Ambermoon was never released on any platform other than the Amiga and only in German, right?

Sitting right there with best RPGs I played. Its possible to play it today using Amiga emulator. Did it myself few years ago. Remake would be so cool though.

Liked these games back then, especially Ambermoon, which was a huge Amiga showcase.

Aside the ability to run these on modern systems, will be there any new features, or are they just straight-up remakes? (e.g. Ambermoon's English translation was never finished and both of these games beg for some quality of life improvements such as a game journal and a cleaner user interface)

I loved Albion and seeing these Ambermoon screenshots, I immediatly recognise the style. If these games are as good as Albion was, then this remake is something to look forward to.

Liked these games back then, especially Ambermoon, which was a huge Amiga showcase.

Aside the ability to run these on modern systems, will be there any new features, or are they just straight-up remakes? (e.g. Ambermoon's English translation was never finished and both of these games beg for some quality of life improvements such as a game journal and a cleaner user interface)

If you have a github account you can post a feature request.

This remake does looks pretty nice and seems like something I might very well decide to buy. Still…even if the trilogy was never completed, wouldn't it make more sense to start with a remake of the first game in the series?:sweatdrop:

For Amberstar English and German DOS-versions exist.

-> Thalion Webshrine

But I recommend the Amiga version.

Is the music missing? Had none in a quick test of the windows 64 binary.
Or are there licensing problems?

For Amberstar English and German DOS-versions exist.
-> Thalion Webshrine
But I recommend the Amiga version.

Thanks! That's good to know. Although as you say, when it comes to choosing early pc version or Amiga, then Amiga is almost always the way to go.

Still, I hope if this project proves successfull he might look into releasing an updated version of Amberstar as well. Who knows, maybe the illusive "Ambersun" might even appear due to a succsessfull kickstarter at some point.;)

All Thalion's games have notably good gfx and notably good soundtracks.

Dragonflight was the worst in that regard and the combat in their other games kind of worked but I still think implementing gimmicks to their combat system for a result which was not that impressive is a bit of their hallmark.

I had to go through great effort back in the day to acquire these games, I loved them to bits and will certainly be getting the new versions! I'm so pleased we've people like these to bring these exceptional products back, both to those that enjoyed them in the day and to a new audience, because lord knows most of the games being put out now would pale by comparison.

Never played these games, yet I do believe I've heard of them before. I did play Albion though and was very impressed with that game when it came out.

Albion was amazing too. Finally an fantastic game duo - Ambermoon and Amberstar - that deserves a full remaster!

Thanks! That's good to know. Although as you say, when it comes to choosing early pc version or Amiga, then Amiga is almost always the way to go.

Still, I hope if this project proves successfull he might look into releasing an updated version of Amberstar as well. Who knows, maybe the illusive "Ambersun" might even appear due to a succsessfull kickstarter at some point.;)

Common misconception. The third part was planned to be called "Amberworlds". I know that, because Karsten Köper added the information in the guestbook of my old CRPG website on GeoCities a million years ago.

Albion is an utterly fantastic game. I recently replayed it, maybe three to four years ago, and it's still enjoyable. Well worth trying out if the genre is something that is of interest to you.

I played this on an emulator...will check this out.

Common misconception. The third part was planned to be called "Amberworlds". I know that, because Karsten Köper added the information in the guestbook of my old CRPG website on GeoCities a million years ago.

Aha, thanks that's interesting to know. In that case they have it wrong on the wikipedia page, someone should probably update it with the correct information:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amberstar

(bottom of the page, under "Legacy")

EDIT: Nevermind, did it myself after finding quote from the author in this forum :https://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21343

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom