The Lord of the Rings TV series.

Eh? Neverheard.
Muse be developer of phone games. I suppose...¦
Hardly guess you never played The Last of Us or the Uncharted games.:p

Let me put it another way a Sony owned console developer.:)

The LOTR TV series will apparently have adult content from what I hear. That is not Tolkien to me at least. You have to wonder how accurate it will be to the material considering modern times etc.

This thread is about the LotR TV series. Take the "me too!" posts somewhere else.

The LOTR TV series will apparently have adult content from what I hear. That is not Tolkien to me at least. You have to wonder how accurate it will be to the material considering modern times etc.

Did they specify what they mean by "adult content"? I'm hoping that's just a reference to the level of violence it'll contain.

For once Bravo it's about time. Maybe they could add some black metal as well.:devilish:

Damn Brutal Legend needs a TV show. Rock on metal heads.:evilgrin:

Yeah, I am thrilled to be able to see more of Middle-earth on one hand, I am slightly worried about how they will molest the lore on the other.
At least I hope visually it will be well done -- I can't wait to see the splendor of Numénor (and its tumultuous downfall), Sauron as Annatar seducing the Elves in working with him, Gil-galad and the glorious Noldor and not to mention the Battle of the Last Alliance.

There's a wealth of material to work with in the Second Age, hopefully they manage to do it justice. :fingerscrossed:

Last edited:
Yeah, I am thrilled to be able to see more of Middle-earth on one hand, I am slightly worried about how they will molest the lore.

I read that the series won't be allowed to contradict anything that Tolkien wrote about the Second Age. Hopefully that will be enough to prevent any obscene liberties with the source material.

Yeah, I've encountered that youtuber before. To say he has an agenda would be an epic understatement. He's one of those clickbait grifters, working the anti-SJW hysterics angle.

I didn't get anything from that other than a lot of speculation. He also didn't like The Witcher and tried to make it sound like that series was a failure. I have the impression he's either just negative in general or he has an agenda.

Lots of speculation indeed. But one part wasn't speculation. The fact that they already lost qualified people. One that stands out was that Tolkien scholar dude, Tom Shippey, who also consulted on the LOTR movies.

The fact that they require 5 season contracts must also be a pain in the ass for people. Especially since if the project is disorganized, it will likely not get done in the 5 years, with one year per season. Not sure how many talented and qualified people would agree to being chained to this project for 5 seasons, not knowing when it'll end.

And the less qualified people sign on, the more other people don't want to sign on and hitch their wagon to the project, unless they have some certainty that it'll come out remarkable. Anyways, I hope I'm wrong, and just a negative-nancy. I'd love to eat crow and admit it's amazing. I loved the Peter Jackson movies (except for the hobbit films, which were not entirely his team's fault). So I'd love more tolkien content.

Yeah, don't get me wrong - I think there's every chance it will be a too-many-cooks, throw-money-at-the-problem, Amazonian monstrosity. But you never know, I think they backed the right horse with The Boys.

I'm just warning about that YouTube fella - if he's detected a brown person or a woman where he feels there shouldn't be one, he'll be on a mission.

Yeah, don't get me wrong - I think there's every chance it will be a too-many-cooks, throw-money-at-the-problem, Amazonian monstrosity. But you never know, I think they backed the right horse with The Boys.

Indeed. But I think that was a lot more intimate, with more focused direction. In this case, unless they have a strong leader with a strong vision to herd everybody else into doing what he wants, it's curtains.

I'm just warning about that YouTube fella - if he's detected a brown person or a woman where he feels there shouldn't be one, he'll be on a mission.

Oh, yeah, I know his antics. I once in a stumble on his videos, but as long as I ignore most of that anti-SJW shtick, he's somewhat entertaining. He's part of the youtube doom-and-gloom crowd. :D

I'm already beginning to sense that some people want this to fail.

It doesn't surprise me. Tolkien is the most sacred of cows, and Amazon is the ultimate big bad corporation. I think a lot of people were disappointed when they got the rights to it, and that's understandable. Like I said in the first post, I have mixed feelings about it myself.

I'm going to see how it plays out though. I didn't recognize any of the cast when I browsed through it, and that could be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

I'd like it to be good. I didn't love the LOTR movies to the degree that many people did. The Two Towers was the peak for me and the other two just meh. And the Hobbit movies…. those were flat out terrible. The first two anyway; I stopped there to curb my self hate.

If Amazon actually creates something of worth, I'm fine with them making money from that. It's the swallowing businesses like a digital Wal-Mart and making their employees meet quotas so strict they don't have time to shit I can do without.

I for one certainly hope that they don't intend to lace this show with sex scenes or nudity. Please give me more panoramic views of Middle Earth instead, I don't care what age it is set in, impress me with some serious forests and character development, not with scantily clothed folks.

Nah see you guys forget GoT was full of sex and violence. That's why it was popular with the average viewer. Most of these new fantasy shows are just trying to mimic the show.

It's all about money and ratings to be king of the hill. The game of TV.:lol:

I'm about as excited for this as I am for the latest super hero movie or sequel #9 in a series, with the same old tired formula, and same old recycled CGI loaded action scenes…yawn. There are only about 10 to 20 of these kinds of movies coming out next year….can't wait. (sarcasm)

Sorry for my mini-rant, but the (lack of good) entertainment in both movies and tv shows lately has made me lose almost all interest in new shows or movies. (with a handful of exceptions) Please stop preaching at people, Hollywood, your moral integrity and preaching is about as credible as when Jimmy Swaggert would piously preach during the day on tv in front of millions, and then at night go visit hookers in seedy hotel rooms.

Is there any particular reason to think this series will suffer from preachy bad writing, though, beyond the speculation of youtubers who make a living grinding on that stuff?

Back
Top Bottom