Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance - Coming to PC - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance - Coming to PC

Default Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance - Coming to PC

May 7th, 2021, 00:30
Gematsu reports that Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance is coming to PC later in the year. For other platforms it releases May 7th.

Publisher Interplay Entertainment and developer Black Isle Studios will release Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Switch on May 7 for $29.99 / 29.99 / EUR29.99, followed by PC and mobile later in 2021, the companies announced. It features enhanced graphics and up to 4K resolution on supported platforms, as well as local cooperative play.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance first launched for PlayStation 2 in December 2001, followed by Xbox in October 2002, GameCube in November 2002, and Game Boy Advance in February 2004.

[…]

loading…

More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)

May 7th, 2021, 00:42
Damn $29.99 for a twenty year old game with minimal work to port it. I didn't even know Interplay Entertainment and developer Black Isle Studios were still in business either.
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)

May 7th, 2021, 01:03
I played both 1 & 2 on the PS2 and they were simple but fun games. I won't be paying $30 though for a PC port… that's ridiculous.
--
If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

May 7th, 2021, 01:46
I know what happened here. I got the transcript of conversations held in a top-secret environment.

An undisclosed greedy individual: "Hey, let's ride the new Dark Alliance hype to port this old game to PC and get some money for no effort"
PC players: "…What hype?"

Nereida

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

May 7th, 2021, 02:38
Hervé Caen still beating Interplay and Black Isle with the stick?
Last edited by axellslade; May 7th, 2021 at 06:48.

axellslade

No Title Please

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

May 7th, 2021, 03:17
It looks better at 4K than I thought it would tbh, but I still wouldn't pay $30 for it. A cash grab if I ever saw one. They could have at least bundled Dark Alliance 1&2 together. Then it would have been a fair deal imo.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
+1:

May 7th, 2021, 03:25
When it finally arrives for us computer folk, I doubt many will cough up thirty bucks for it. And a few months after release, they'll likely be giving it away. =p

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
+1:

May 7th, 2021, 06:17
A 20-year-old Forgotten Realms Action RPG game that doesn't even try to simulate D&D? Nah, thanks. Not interest in the new Dark Alliance game as well.
Last edited by gabrielarantest; May 7th, 2021 at 07:24.

gabrielarantest

Stubborn Dwarf

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

May 7th, 2021, 09:19
Huh, if I remember correctly I played a couple of games like this many years ago. I was so determined to play them simply because of the "BG" label on them, that I found some sort of emulator that allowed me to play the roms for some handheld console version.

Lol, not much worth talking about. Casual, waiting-for-the-bus, entertainment.

Feist

Sentinel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

May 7th, 2021, 09:38
A bit late for an April Fools' Day joke so it must be genuine

I thought Interplay Entertainment and Black Isle Studio Studios were something of the past too. Interplay's website certainly is. So strange, they must be struggling to survive?

Redglyph

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

May 7th, 2021, 10:19
I knew about the old Dark Alliance games but never played them. When I saw the announcement I thought this might be good but then I noticed the price and that no work was done on them. I think I will pass

Giovanni1983

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

May 7th, 2021, 12:57
I wonder if half the self-entitled internet made a ruckus back in the day about this game using "Baldur's Gate" in its name to get easy sales while having nothing to do with the classic franchise.

I know, I know, the salt is coming. I want to be a better person but I just can't!

Nereida

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

May 7th, 2021, 13:25
Not me I owned both games, the fallout version, and the ever-quest games on the PS2. My point is charging $30 when they did the bare minimum to remaster it 20 years later.

The second game was better though and yes gamer's complained back then about the console versions. Mostly on BBS boards and forums, or magazines. Nothing's changed.
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)

May 7th, 2021, 16:14
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
A bit late for an April Fools' Day joke so it must be genuine

I thought Interplay Entertainment and Black Isle Studio Studios were something of the past too. Interplay's website certainly is. So strange, they must be struggling to survive?
Both companies must be made up entirely of Herve Caen and his trained apes.

Also, about Black Isle:

"In 2012, Interplay had been trying for several years to get the troubled Project V13 off the ground. Originally conceived as an massively multiplayer online game set in the world of Fallout, the project suffered a significant setback when Interplay lost all rights to use the Fallout brand. As part of their efforts to restart the project anew, Interplay revived Black Isle Studios with two of its original team members and began a crowdfunding campaign to fund a prototype in 2012.[9] The campaign did not raise sufficient funds to develop a playable prototype, and communications from Interplay and Black Isle about the project had ceased completely by early 2014. By the end of 2015, the Black Isle website had been taken offline."
--
Add me as a friend on Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/axellslade

axellslade

No Title Please

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

May 7th, 2021, 17:31
Originally Posted by axellslade View Post
Both companies must be made up entirely of Herve Caen and his trained apes.
There are apparently still other people working for Interplay, 11 people if their last fiscal report is accurate, which I'm not sure (those are old reports). A few people are still working there according to their LinkedIn profile (including the 2 Caen).
Black Isle Studios has a FB page which is frequently updated.

Whoever is there must be trying to keep it from downing.

Redglyph

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

May 7th, 2021, 18:06
Originally Posted by gabrielarantest View Post
A 20-year-old Forgotten Realms Action RPG game that doesn't even try to simulate D&D? Nah, thanks. Not interest in the new Dark Alliance game as well.
"Akkshon is the way to go, man !" Or "Bro", in contemporary speech.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

May 7th, 2021, 18:23
I'd rather see someone bring back the Everquest game, the version that used to exist for the playstation two, and make that playable on current computer systems, possibly through gog or steam. Make it a single player game, with no online shenanigans, and I dare say it might sell better than expected. And market it at a reasonable price.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)

May 7th, 2021, 18:42
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
"Akkshon is the way to go, man !" Or "Bro", in contemporary speech.
Wut??

gabrielarantest

Stubborn Dwarf

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

May 7th, 2021, 19:16
AFAIK the games are perfectly playable on PC with an emulator and that means 4K, widescreen and all that "modern" stuff. You can buy PS2 versions for half the price on ebay and the emulator is free, just need a couple of minutes to set up. This is an obvious cashgrab to exploit BG3 hype.

Ivanwah

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

May 7th, 2021, 19:26
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
I wonder if half the self-entitled internet made a ruckus back in the day about this game using "Baldur's Gate" in its name to get easy sales while having nothing to do with the classic franchise.
I was actually pretty excited about it… until I played it.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance - Coming to PC