Baldur's Gate 3 - In Development ?

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
According to this tweet Brian Fargo knows who is developing Baldur's Gate 3 right now. Larian and Beamdog denied already - so who can it be?

More information.

Well, it's a safe bet to say that Beamdog is probably making it?

I was really unhappy with Siege of Dragonspear, so my hopes are not exactly high

Hmm... it's not April 1st. Fargo still is an insider.
So I'm not powering on my personal hype machine but I'll prepare some fuel... just in case.

Well, it's a safe bet to say that Beamdog is probably making it?
If you read HiddenX posting again it's a safe bet that Beamdog is not making it. ;)

What's Obsidian doing right now?

My money is still on Larian despite them publicly saying no.

Only because a few Ex-BioWare developers have been hired.

Though Obsidian or maybe even Inxile for a second and third choice.

Otherwise it will be an unknown developer.

Link - https://www.pcgamesn.com/baldurs-gate-3-larian-studios
It’s worth pointing out that Fargo is the founder and CEO of developer inXile Entertainment. The studio is currently working on Wasteland 3 having just released The Bard’s Tale 4, but tends to have two games in various stages of development at any one time. Given their focus on single-player RPGs, it’s possible that Fargo could have been teasing his own studio’s involvement in Baldur’s Gate 3.

We’ve reached out to all three studios for comment. A source from Larian says that they are now personally working on a Divinity project (prompting us to wonder about the possibility of Divinity: Original Sin 3), and not on BG3. That said, the size of the company and the success of its previous projects suggests that Larian has the capacity to be working on two simultaneous projects, one of which could be related to Baldur’s Gate (although this is largely speculative).

Since this article’s first publication, a Beamdog source has also revealed that their studio is not working on the game. We’re yet to hear back from inXile, but we’ll update when we know more.

I actually think it could be a good move for Obsidian. They've clearly got the skillset, and although they have their own somewhat successful IP, BG3 could be a monster hit for them.

As others have said, I hope it leaves the old saga alone, and is essentially just a new Forgotten Realms game. A new FR game from Obsidian I would most certainly be buying.

Both Obsidian and InXile have secret yet unannounced games in development. Beamdog would have to be in the mix as well. Very interesting.

I actually think it could be a good move for Obsidian. They've clearly got the skillset, and although they have their own somewhat successful IP, BG3 could be a monster hit for them.

As others have said, I hope it leaves the old saga alone, and is essentially just a new Forgotten Realms game. A new FR game from Obsidian I would most certainly be buying.
Like I said in the other thread.
The third game was to be set in the same world but without Bhallspawn. If I remember you were a prisoner, and it was called The Black Hound.

Still the lore says the Bhallspawn of the Baldur's Gate Saga is officially dead.
So yeah no more Bhallspawn, and a lot has changed since Baldur's Gate lore wise. So a new story-line set in the game setting would make sense. Maybe a family descendant?
Both Obsidian and InXile have secret yet unannounced games in development. Beamdog would have to be in the mix as well. Very interesting.
They might be collaborating but speculation has it Beamdog lost the IP.

Yes, just a tenuous link to the previous story would seem fine.

I actually hope it is set in the same era. I think the major changes that have occurred in Forgotten Realms have been a total Charlie Foxtrot. The Spell Plague, and the Sundering, or whatever. :brood:

I think it will use DnD 5 and the “new“ setting.
Does the city of Baldur's Gate still exist there?

Obsidian would be the most sensible option. I don’t think WotC would give the D&D license to a small developer.

I think it will use DnD 5 and the “new“ setting.
Does the city of Baldur's Gate still exist there?

God knows. Quite possibly it went away and then came back again.

Why not the guys from Pathfinder: Kingmaker? The engine could be used 1:1. "Just" implement the new rule set for 5e and maybe hire better writers: done.

BG3 with a turn based combat system by the Divinity makers, would be an exciting prospect!

For BG3 I hope for the very best to be working on it. I would be okay with Larian doing it but they are ruled out. CD Projekt RED would do it justice, and they translated the original game, but I wouldn't want it first person. Otherwise I hope for either Owlcat or the XCOM team under Firaxis as they seem to understand how to make decent gameplay systems at least.

Yes, just a tenuous link to the previous story would seem fine.

I actually hope it is set in the same era. I think the major changes that have occurred in Forgotten Realms have been a total Charlie Foxtrot. The Spell Plague, and the Sundering, or whatever. :brood:

Yes please ...no spell plague! I thought they'd undone all that silliness later? We stopped playing in Forgotten Realms at that point...

Yes please …no spell plague! I thought they'd undone all that silliness later? We stopped playing in Forgotten Realms at that point…

I'm not entirely sure where they are at this stage. After the universe-shattering twaddle typical of terrible writing, people were pretty hacked off, and I understand there was another batch of universe-repairing twaddle to put things back to something like they were before. I tuned out before getting a handle on the details, though, and I'm sure others know more.

Back
Top Bottom